Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

Thanks for the interest all, but to be honest if I were to keep one of the fleet for good, the R18 would no doubt be it. It's a real hoot to tear up roads in it...at least I know what French cars I like now, diesel and mingebag ones!

The Saab will probably be available when it has another MOT put on it, but that will be the new year in my eyes. I have made myself utterly sick to the back teeth of buying cars, and I really just want to borrow/test drive stuff for the short term now, as owning a car for a fortnight isn't much different. 

I kind of fancy a 900 (NG) Turbo at some point, so if/when I do want to shift on the 900 classic, I may want one of those, for anyone wondering. 

Wow that’s a find. There seems a disproportionate amount of Renault 18 diesels surviving, doesn’t look like it would want much work to make it really tidy.

What was the name of those metal nudge bar things you used to see fitted front and back on these?

I know of two others but haven't seen any for sale for a long time. Last 18 I saw in the wild was a wob laden monster down in Poole in 2012. Now dead.

Alright shiters, I love my current fleet and don't want to sell any yet. But what I'm missing is something faaaaaast. The Merc is surprisingly torquey and gets a reasonable move on but it's diesel so the performance is often marred with a clag cloud.

My only crux is that it has to be classic insurance friendly and within £500. And not shit. I hate wanted ads, but clearly I'm a hypocrite because here is one.

I know of two others but haven't seen any for sale for a long time. Last 18 I saw in the wild was a wob laden monster down in Poole in 2012. Now dead.

Alright shiters, I love my current fleet and don't want to sell any yet. But what I'm missing is something faaaaaast. The Merc is surprisingly torquey and gets a reasonable move on but it's diesel so the performance is often marred with a clag cloud.

My only crux is that it has to be classic insurance friendly and within £500. And not shit. I hate wanted ads, but clearly I'm a hypocrite because here is one.

What about the 3.0 V6 S-Type on here? 240bhp, so it should shift. Not sure about classic policy though. 

The Saab 9-5 Aero I acquired is very fast indeed, an £80 remap takes them to 275bhp and 420NM. Again, not sure if they would qualify for a classic policy.

Wow I think that genuinely is it. Even still has the red mount for the towbar, but that's now gone. And the V5 had the non transferable numberplate message on it, suggesting it did have a private issue in the past.

attachicon.gif20181104_081136.jpg

attachicon.gif20181104_081109.jpg

Alright lads and ladies. I have to sell the R18 as I don't really like povo spec French dross anymore. It's a real blast to drive it around and hoon it round the local lanes, much to the bemusement of all the passers by, but it's not my bag and I fancy a 9000 quite badly. The 900 really has had a big effect on what I like, despite it's own little flaws.

Okay so, the R18 has a very long MOT. 

It drives well, the engine sounds fine, it doesn't make any weird noises that you wouldn't expect a 34 year old Renault to make. The tyres look fine. There is not really any exhaust smoke.

Interior is nice and tidy, but would no doubt benefit from a slight tidy up. Seats are all fine, but be aware there is no rear belts. 

It has done 129k.

As ever, old car so there is negatives.

Some rust around the bottom of the front arches and front of the sills. Nothing overly bad, but it will need tidying soon. Had new rear arches and a refurbished rear axle in the past year.

Drivers door lock doesn't seem to work, key spins.

Not sure on belt history.

Needs a couple of plug cycles to get started, but it's not that bad. Previous owner suggested it need new plugs but having had a few old diesels that needed the same, it's not got to that stage yet.

Stalks need a contact clean as the headlights sometimes go off if touched lightly. 

The fuel economy is good.

The engine fan has a switch on the dashboard as I assume the relay stopped working. The fan does work with use of the switch though. It doesn't run hot.

It doesn't have PAS or really anything assisted. It's like driving a small van, and it sounds like one too.

It's no speed machine, but it's got an old school diesel feel and sounds horrendous/marvellous. 

Paint is slightly flat but lacquer is fine, I think a good polish would lift it. No real dents on it either, amazingly. 

Has a nice retro Sharp radio. 

I want £950 or thereabouts please. I have it on C&C for a but more, but that's just me. I am in Basingstoke and can help deliver for transport costs.

I am open to a swap but really, it needs to be a 9000 or similar. I turned down FOADs Camry as I really want a Euro barge....

Also, Katie hates it. She much prefers the Saab.

Have you driven a 9000 Bramz? They really don't do it for me. You can make a small-medium car handle and ride reasonably well with front MacPherson struts and a torsion beam rear but the 9000 is overwhelmed with that setup, the steering is naff too. Even the now panned Rover 800 is better to drive and a Volvo 850 is much nicer.

They are comfortable cruisers but that's about it.