Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

I thought my E39 was an auto when I bid on it.  I didn't check the interior pics closely enough - I just assumed it was auto as most 530d's are.  It's quite a flexible engine though and happy to pull from <1,000rpm in high gears, so it's not too bad.  It probably won't replace the 75 long term though as it doesn't have heated seats, and unheated leather in the depths of winter can be quite unpleasant for the first few minutes.

Yesterday I realised why the Xantia has a wheel vibration between 68 and 75mph. 

The centreless alloys! I remember other people mentioning it now, and sure enough, a Google search confirms they are a PITA to balance as most wheel places don't have the correct kit for them. ATS apparently do, so I'll pop there. 

In other news, the fuel economy is great. I did 240 miles to £25 of diesel the last week, and I've nearly done 1000 miles in it now. The leather seats are brilliant, and probably the best I've ever sat in. 

I now need to store the Tempra, and possibly the AX. The former is my long term project, I've set an aim of getting it more presentable for the FOTU 2020. 

20190518_060946.jpg

5 hours ago, bramz7 said:

The centreless alloys!

Yup, you got to love the French for their love of fucking blind centre wheels. Same story with the 306 I have. Kwik-Fit supposed have the hub adaptors for balancing them and if the local one doesn't, they can usually get it from one of the other branches with a bit of warning.

Had to pick up a stand in car for the upcoming trip to Scotland, as the Xantia has a leak, a wheel vibration and doesn't seem happy enough for that sort of journey currently. Sadly no local garages responded to messages and the one I used in Basingstoke was full for a few weeks. 

I picked up this today, from 83C. First time I'd actually test driven a car before buying it for some time. That isn't a good thing is it? 

It's fine. Needs a clean and makes some slightly odd noises, but it's literally fine. Needs a bit of a prod to lay down all 161 horses but it does shift well enough when it wakes up. 

208k, not out. Not bad. Wears the miles well. 

Not overcome with new car emotion for it either, I'll decide what way to go with it when I get back from Scotland. 

I've had to park this one round the corner. I've become that person who slowly parks cars all over their local area. 

20190520_185357.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of diesel E39 ownership.  I've been impressed with the economy of mine so far, and mine has 500cc and 50,000 miles on yours (although it does have a manual 'box).  I've also found it needs a surprising amount of welly before it wakes up - must be a trait.  Either way, I can think of far worse ways to travel to Scotland and back.

Thing is, it doesn't feel baggy like most other high mileage cars I've owned, and when you hammer the throttle it does have quite a reasonable pace to it. Heated seats and AC also work!

Here's a question for the resident LHM experts. Late Xantias aren't meant to sink nearly to the ground are they? One thing I've noticed with my one is that somedays it does, and some days it doesn't. But I'm pretty certain it's not meant to...

1 hour ago, bramz7 said:

Here's a question for the resident LHM experts. Late Xantias aren't meant to sink nearly to the ground are they? One thing I've noticed with my one is that somedays it does, and some days it doesn't. But I'm pretty certain it's not meant to...

You are correct by 1999 it will have antisink valves and should stay up for weeks.

3 hours ago, bramz7 said:

That's what I thought. I suspect the LHM level is low, but it's been sinking on and off since I got it.

It's also sometimes been sinking when it's started, and then rising back up. 

Probably debris in the hydraulic system ; clearances are really tight in there. Take the filters out of the LHM reservoir and give them a clean, then do some Citro-bics to circulate the fluid around.

If it's a keeper, treat it to some Hydraflush. If not, don't worry about it !

Rule one with anything Italian and old.

Never heap praise, gratitude or any positivity on it at all. Doesn't matter if you say it or think it, just don't do it. 

Unfortunately I did the above with the Tempra, and it's now not turning at all. Just a click. Central locking works, dash lights up etc....

Bastard thing. 

BMW now much cleaner inside, but I've lost part of my portable hoover and the wire for the proper one won't reach, so that'll have to wait. 

Boot liner pongs like no tomorrow. Grim. I've removed it now but don't know what to do with it. Leave it out for the rain?!

Okay just to recind what I said earlier, Tempra is fine. Just needs the key pressing in to start...whoops. 

I really need to sell a car. Xantia up for grabs, or alternatively the BMW when I've used it for Scotland. 

£400 each, anyone interested? Subject to me being indecisive, but three is absolute maximum. Four is untenable.

Indeed, I'd happily put away a 523i now I've finally ticked the box. E39s seem to handle like bigger E34s, the steering weight is just right. Shame the seats are typical German and ergonomic beyond reams of cushion, but they'll do. 

Apologies for posting the Ebay link via the Tat thread on the Tempra ! 

I must admit I had seriously thought of buying this myself before I posted it up, but I really need a Estate so my sensible head said no.  Seeing picture of it here makes me think I should have said yes. 

There is a considerable list of things the Tempra needs doing to it though, which are below:

-Find and fix PAS leak. I suspect its the rack. Having just taken it for a drive, it feels like all of the fluid has leaked out. The steering isn't actually that bad though.

-Get the cambelt and waterpump done.

-Thorough servicing.

-New wipers, and fix rear wiper.

-Look at possible replacement clutch. It's not buggered or even slipping, but it would probably benefit.

-Find some Fiat mats

-Figure out why the header tank is disgustingly filthy.

-Eventually get the paint sorted out, unlikely to happen tbh.

Ugh edit:

-Try and get someone to fix the broken steering wheel rake adjustment, which means the steering column moves up and down like no tomorrow when parking etc)

-Get the damn oil pressure sensor sorted so the light goes out

-Attempt to tidy up the bodwork underneath....

It's surprisingly useable for its age and the fact its an old Fiat, but I think running it as a daily would end up killing it. 

4 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

-Try and get someone to fix the broken steering wheel rake adjustment, which means the steering column moves up and down like no tomorrow when parking etc)

The Y10 does that - the locking doobery works to an extent, but not as well as it should, and given that the steering is relatively heavy when parking one does quite often get some unwanted column movement.  It's on my list to look at as well.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:57 PM, bramz7 said:

There is a considerable list of things the Tempra needs doing to it though, which are below:

-Find and fix PAS leak. I suspect its the rack. Having just taken it for a drive, it feels like all of the fluid has leaked out. The steering isn't actually that bad though.

-Get the cambelt and waterpump done.

-Thorough servicing.

-New wipers, and fix rear wiper.

-Look at possible replacement clutch. It's not buggered or even slipping, but it would probably benefit.

-Find some Fiat mats

-Figure out why the header tank is disgustingly filthy.

-Eventually get the paint sorted out, unlikely to happen tbh.

-Get the damn oil pressure sensor sorted so the light goes out

-Attempt to tidy up the bodwork underneath....

It's surprisingly useable for its age and the fact its an old Fiat, but I think running it as a daily would end up killing it. 

The rear wiper does need doing, its one of the best features evah! 

The clutch sounds like it wasnt centred properly when it was last changed to me, it'd be worth checking, unfortunately the box has to come out to do it..

The header tank could mean it's gone for a period with no antifreeze, or, could be that someone's put some kind of sealer in to `fix` a leaking rad, (or HGF.. unlikely)

IIRC, the steering adjust n them is just a long bolt with a nylock nut on the end rather than a collet system, so just needs nipping up. 

Defo worth wire brushing the previous repairs to check "quality", then etch prime, paint & waxoyl. Worth doing all the sill to floor joins in the same way too, & cavity waxing the lot.

Once fully serviced, there's no reason it couldn't be a daily, there's loads of Fiat densels`s in Europe happily chugging round with 3-500,000 miles on them on all original running gear!

The only electrical items my needed in 16 years were 2 drivers central locking motors (+ an earthing dizzy pickup wire, but that's not applicable here), so they are quite hardy, despite the perceived complexity & Ay-tai reputation..

Oh, & the headlights will be shite, you can sort them by fitting relays, if you can be arsed.

BTW, if you need/want that OSR door, come get it, or I`ll be using it for repair sections!