Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

I must admit, I am well aware that the Safrane will need constant attention and won't enjoy missed services etc, so I plan on focusing on it as much as possible, and it will be stored too.

Oh yeah, the Audi also has electric mirrors. At least manual windows don't stop going down, or up?

• 2 weeks later...

So, how did we get here?

40087392983_6ecc6d711d_c.jpg20190210_165324 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

In short, I have no idea. I had planned something quite different to the scene above, but life found a way.

The R19, which nearly became my shortest ever fleet member is now staying. It's got something, I can't quite place my finger on it, but anyone who has driven a slightly better equipped 19 may agree with me here, it's got some real appeal. They're really overlooked, and aside from some dreamers peddling rusty ones on eBay, are mostly forgotten. Aside from the 16v, naturally.

The RSI seems to have been a shortlived 'warm' hatch, and was a Cabriolet only spec not long after my one was made. Bucket seats literally stuffed with padding almost make the cabin feel even smaller than it already is, and even a midget (well short legs) like me has to have the seat quite far back.

Manual windows all round. My other half prefers this as apparently 'they won't ever break'.

No grab handles. Take that occupants, you'll have nothing to hold onto when this beast blasts round the streets.

Originally it would have had steel wheels with some seriously, seriously NLA trims attached. I have the steels in the boot but sadly, despite the previous owner assuring me the original trims were also in situ, they are just (awful) universal tri spokes!

It also has no door speakers. Oh well.

The driving is where it comes alive. As previously mentioned, it does not like motorways, and 70mph is about 3100rpm, which is slightly louder than anticipated. The 0-40 is where this car excels, the short throw gears and peppy torque make it feel like it is flying round the speedo. 19s grip well too, there is a little bit more feedback over bumps (no doubt due to alloys) compared to it's PSA rivals but the gearing (and gearbox itself, which isn't an A-Z of notchy hell) makes up for it, as well as the comfort. 

I really like it. Could this be the 19 I keep? 

I've just remembered that my previous two 19s are with other forum members, the krujoe RTI and holbeck(?) GTS-X.

The Volvo still doing what it does best, but do I feel a creep of boredom coming in? I miss the almost perfect handling of the E34 i just sold, whereas the Volvo has a tendency to lean heavily on the front, and has the typical atrocious 5 cylinder turning circle. Fast though.....

How long will it stay? Place bets now....

(this has nothing to do with the 320d for sale on the forum, honest!!!)

I've got to admit that the alloy wheels and front splitter actually work quite well on your 19, bramz. Wondering what the original trims looked like, led me to this:

renault_19_rsi_1.9dt_5-door.jpeg

Hmmm. They look familiar. Oh wait.

Renault-Clio-MK1.jpg

So now you've twice as much chance (0.5% + 0.5% or thereabouts) of picking up some mega obscure trims! 

Also, on a personal note; when did the first series, pre-facelift mk1 Clios become such lookers?!

I remember at the time the facelifted 19s came out being somewhat displeased that Renault couldn't be arsed to convert the updated dashboard to RHD, so UK cars got stuck with the old one.

I never knew that. To be honest, the older dashboard has a bit more charm* to it, at least they moved the window switches which had a tendency to pop out on earlier cars. Not that it matters on mine....

Those are indeed the RSI trims. I suspect Spain will be the only place they are remotely available now. I did hear about a huge scrapyard in Madrid, maybe I should venture there?

Incredible that the forum has two 19s in the same batch of registrations! Mine appears to have been a Renault UK pre-reg, as they are marked as the supplying dealer, PO is a Portsmouth reg, so right by the docks they were brought in I guess.

In other news, think I might flog the Volvo, it's a great car but I don't know if I like it. Anyone want it? £750 to a shiter.....

Sat in the 19 today and got it up to temperature, just to ensure it doesn't get forgotten about. A bit miffed about insurance still.

Anyway, had a proper peek under the bonnet (well, I had already done this with the seller, unusually for me), and noticed it has a new radiator, expansion tank and fresher looking alternator than assumed. This is on top of the reasonably new stainless steel exhaust (mid section and back I believe), new tyres, new headlights etc. I think, for the £550 I paid, I got a bit of a bargain.

Inside I noticed the later 19s have blanking plugs for the choke handle, and this one even has a blanking plug for the dash display dimmer, WTF? Not that I like my dials dimmed, but that's seriously mingebag.

I do want to return it to more original condition, already slinged the 16v badge off the back, now fancy an original Renault stereo as well. 

In other news, I have started fancying MK1 Mondeos, specifically higher spec models. What they like? 

Sat in the 19 today and got it up to temperature, just to ensure it doesn't get forgotten about. A bit miffed about insurance still.

Anyway, had a proper peek under the bonnet (well, I had already done this with the seller, unusually for me), and noticed it has a new radiator, expansion tank and fresher looking alternator than assumed. This is on top of the reasonably new stainless steel exhaust (mid section and back I believe), new tyres, new headlights etc. I think, for the £550 I paid, I got a bit of a bargain.

Inside I noticed the later 19s have blanking plugs for the choke handle, and this one even has a blanking plug for the dash display dimmer, WTF? Not that I like my dials dimmed, but that's seriously mingebag.

I do want to return it to more original condition, already slinged the 16v badge off the back, now fancy an original Renault stereo as well.

In other news, I have started fancying MK1 Mondeos, specifically higher spec models. What they like?

I had a 2.0 ghia auto that was lovely, slow and thirsty but probably the best drive second only to my XJ’s.

Well the Mondeo I had thought about messaging about has gone. Typical, but the fact I didn't go for it right away suggests it wasn't that necessary a buy.

I sort of fancy something else to tinker with, but I can't make the money add up, so looks like I'm sticking to roffles for the time being.

One thing I forgot to mention about the 19, it does that typical 90s Renault thing of running hot in a normal way, even the book says this is normal. Still doesn't stop me sweating until the fan kicks in!

Oh FWIW, it has no issue with hot starting.

• 2 weeks later...

So after years of wanting to, but never quite having the confidence to (have you seen the state of some of them for sale on gumtree?) I have purchased a classic era MPV. Classic era is something I just made up, but during the mid to late 90s there was an explosion of them brought to market, but this particular one stood out:

47228905671_02c78c062e_c.jpg20190227_150224 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

I actually always liked the 'wacky' styling. Yeah it looks like a duck on meth, but who cares? Whats the next best thing? A vomit laden Zafira A? Pass.

47228905761_9eed4b196d_c.jpg20190227_150234 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

According to the internet, this was the second widest car for sale when new, only being pipped to that particular post by the Rolls Royce Silver Seraph. 

Driving wise, it becomes obvious quite quickly that it is wide. The wheels feel quite far apart, but that makes it feel particularly planted on bends, so you can approach far more enthusiastically than first thought. It doesn't seem to roll, at all, which in an era where the A class Mercedes attempted to crush some poor Swedish motor journalists is welcome. There is that typical Fiat firmness to it, which makes every single blemish in the road shake through the cabin, but otherwise reasonably smooth. Visibility is second to none, the depth to the front windows is at first a bit unpleasant as you feel exposed to everyone else, but you soon get used to it.

The massive surface area of glass probably makes it a great mobile greenhouse in summer mind you.

32286768637_6c7b31ee20_c.jpg20190227_150201 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

33353192998_2390fb2dfd_c.jpg20190227_150140 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

The interior is a fantastic display of modular bravery, the rear seats can be removed, the middle front seat folds down, then becomes a table with four cupholders, with the seat belt mount becoming an oddly well thought out armrest for the driver. 

Twin electric sunroofs, foglights mounted just below the windscreen (high beams are in the bumper!), a glove box on either side of the dashboard, various storage holes and a complete walkthrough in the front due to the handbrake being mounted on the right hand side of the driver.

Yeah it's an acquired taste, a mobile creche, a six seat van etc, but I really like it. It's no ball of fire and the gearbox is notch central, but there's something wonderfully oddly appealing. It's probably the signs of some extreme unnamed fetish, but there we go.

Plan is to use it to move house, and then decide from there. Bloody good on fuel too, 190 miles used just over a quarter of a tank!

It's awful! It's wonderful! It's both!

I remember seeing one of these in early 1999 and having no idea what to even think about it. I still don't.

Distinctive, for sure - and getting scare. Well bought. I don't think I want one, but I'm glad someone here does.

The only pre-facelift Multipla local to me works as a delivery hack for a Dominos franchise, so I'm sure yours at least smells better.

Enjoy.