Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

A good call regarding the Cherokee. I kind of want something with a hideous interior with button velour or something, but I've got an open mind.

Budget will be around £2k, but that's when I've saved up a dash more.

Early Cherokee (XJ) and Cherokee (ZJ) are great fun and extremely capable off and on road. Had an early 1993 RHD (USA not Graz built) cherokee xj 4-litre Ltd and it was massive fun. Be warned though, interior space is pretty cramped considering the size.

174 bhp through the rear wheels in 2wd was grin inducing.

Don't buy the 2.5 manual petrol though - disappointing!

Would definitely buy again.

The Northstar V8 is another of those engines which is fine if it's looked after properly, which it often isn't.  I think the fact that GM made a big thing about it being able to drive 40 miles with no coolant or whatever made people think that it was indestructible and they didn't have to service it or check the levels.

I never had any issues with mine, and I wasn't gentle with it.

So....I had a thought about buying some kind of yank.

I had come across some sort of Buick Electra for cheap on FB the other day, it had done 197k and the seller was slow to respond to messages. It was worth the blind buy, I even asked FJ how much it would cost to insure (not much) and tried to arrange collection. No dice. Next notification then told me it was sold.

Anyway, something else then appeared. Another Buick, but the replacement, a Park Avenue. I'd seen a fair few of them in Europe in my travels, and they fit the land yacht remit.

I picked it up last night.

post-20043-0-50778100-1545138471_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-96753500-1545138491_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-22078200-1545138507_thumb.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it isn't mint by any stretch. It didn't even cost four figures, so has a few little* issues.

No service history, paint that's a bit rough, engine fan stuck on, moody lock syndrome, iffy fuel gauge, no headlining...

But otherwise, goal achieved. Really gruff sounding 3.8 V6, FWD, huge interior with electric seats, column change, all the bits inside seem to work.

It drives well, or as well as they can. The dynaride is very soft and it absorbs bumps very well. The handling is...well it turns corners at least.

Oh also the bumper stickers have been thrown in the bin now.

Another thing about this, it has the best cup holder arrangement I've ever seen. Open centre console (massive arm rest), flip out cup holder and shut console.

It also has one of those awful all in one stalks for wipers and indicators. Headlights are controlled by a button on the door.

In other car news, the E46 is fine. Oil smell has gone I think.

It's well dull though. I'd love a six cylinder one but can't stomach any more car purchases now. Unless anyone wants a swap? Thought not.