Re-light my fire, illumination is my only desire… - Ohdearme’s turn of the century emporium

Ohdearme

Blimey. That was unexpected.

Looks like a trip up north. Old duffers railcard dusting.

Congratulations - I'll be sorry to see it go, despite my short tenure. In keeping with previous owners I will see if I can't find some random component to take off the car and throw in the boot for you to marvel at :)

I'm close the A1 so at least your run home towards your neck of the woods (if Cambridge-ish) is pretty straight forward and if you're in a position to collect fairly sharpish, there might be enough juice left in it to get you home...

Just drop me a pm when you know you might be thinking of grabbing it.

Dealer plate screw rusted through, couldn’t cope with a boot slam.

I am now wonk, pending new screws

d8130c3267840c9b3750f117db21e35f.jpg

Also, excellent* brake fluid reservoir location - warning light on so checking that first.

Looks easy enough to whip off air filter hoses and poke through but not exactly designed for a casual visual check is it?

1fca3609a732a7fed5992e0efdbdab42.jpg

Ordered a load of bits from GSF to give the Galuxury Express a service before its trip to the other side of the border...it will be driving up to Aberdeen, via Grangemouth but my considerably more discerning mate has somewhat excessively hired a Range Rover to take us into deepest whisky land on the mistaken belief it will be more reliable.

Plugs, filters, oil and rocket gasket.

As is the way with GSF, maximum discount found by typing GSF followed by ever increasing numbers until it said no such voucher. 60%* off. Who ever buys at ther RRP?

Buggerations.

Perhaps the wheel bearing on the Mondeo has not been fixed by anyone yet because the locking wheel nut does not exist!

Any ideas on how to (cheaply) get if off before I send it to the garage with instructions to destroy the bolt?

In my experience taking it to a local tyre place is the cheapest way. Try it yourself & you ruin the alloy after hours of effort & the wheel still isn't off...

Hammer a socket over it.

Use a big hammer. Use a 12 point socket that will crush the loose outer ring of the locking nut.

Bash it on until that ring is completely inside the socket.

Undo two handed with a T bar and not with a long breaker bar. The balanced force is MUCH less likely to twist the socket off.

Good luck.

Undo two handed with a T bar and not with a long breaker bar. The balanced force is MUCH less likely to twist the socket off.

On a similar note. If you can't get wheel nuts undone then a wheel spider with t'other end on an axle stand allows you to stamp on it without rounding the nut off.

Thanks all, I do think it’s one of those spinny collar shite ones. I was in a rush this morning and only fingered it briefly before jumping in the SAAB and buggering off to work.

Might give it a try tonight, I love working in the pissing rain :)

Blob of weld to stop it spinning then use the reverse thread impact sockets. You need a gun for that though.