Hedgehog Motors - The ̶L̶e̶x̶ Rex Files

davehedgehog31

Planning to move on the white 405. 

797eb07e52881cab83592dcc0ba478bb.jpg

b31ff77c92211690e99d2f5d0f0bb0a0.jpg

20190204-104710.jpg

Peugeot 405 1.6 Petrol GL

MOT'd until February 2020

GL was the cooncil spec but this has a few extras, namely alloy wheels and a fully functioning, leak free, electric sunroof. 

It's definitely a 20 footer, the paint is shagged. The lights have lost their reflective coating (passed MOT fine) and the exterior is generally scruffy. The car has only covered 10,000 miles in the last ten years and spent a long time sitting about under a tree by the look of it. The interior could do with a scrub. The seats are spectacularly comfy as all 405s. 

The interior fan has as of last night, decided to be stuck on full regardless of switch position, the switches on these are shit, it probably needs cleaned up. Fuse can be pulled to shut it up. It has a rubbish rear view mirror.

It drives nicely and doesn't feel baggy. The ride is excellent, combined with the comfy seats and quiet powerplant it's a nice cruiser. 

Since I've gotten it, I've given it an oil and filters service, new plugs, new HT leads, a thermostat, renewed all handbrake cables (not fun) and put it through it's test. It seems fine mechanically to me, it starts on the key absolutely the thing. I have heard a strange, very quiet and not constant knocking noise since I got it, I've done about 800 miles and not noticed any change so it doesn't cause me particular concern. If I were keeping it, I'd change the coolant, it's manky. 

I fitted a cheapo stereo with the blueteeth, the original tape deck is on the back seat.

This is NOT a concours motor, but it has almost a years MOT, is decent on fuel and insurance and a nice enough steer. It's not completely gone either and could be made to look a bit more presentable, doing so would probably be pretty satisfying. I'd like to do it myself, but with four other motors, including another 405 and an MGF with no MOT, it's not going to happen.

For the sake of full disclosure, it stands me at about £280 but I've put a lot of effort into it, so think £400 to a shiter is fair. Located in Cumbernauld, near Glasgow, I'd be willing to deliver within reason for price of train ticket.

SierraMikeHotel thought you were making an offer for the 405! I was going to offer to meet you at Edinburgh Airport :)

I won't pretend I'm not tempted! I've got a bit of the hots for a 405. I'm being really good and sticking to one car though, haven't even bought any roffle tickets for a while.

T'was I.

Many thanks to Mr. Hedgehog for bringing this round last night, I was in need of a new set of wheels owing to my Paseo bombing its MOT last Friday, and this came up at just the right time. You sometimes forget just how comfy cars used to be with their squashy seats and supple suspension, this will deal with Glasgow's rutted, potholed streets perfectly.

No pez station pic because it had about half a tank in it, so here's the money shot.
IYPg7cy.jpg

34ecc6e28556459a8f87438fdacd6f0e.jpg

A moment of praise for the unsung member of the fleet. 2004 Astra 1.7 CDTI "Enjoy". 

It is utterly dependable, starts on the button and does 60mpg. The back arches are very crusty and it's as dull as dishwater but does a job very capably indeed. Everything about it is as vanilla as you can imagine, the driving position and all the controls are about as neutral as you could imagine. 

I noticed one of those little tuning boxes for sale on Facebook for buttons, purporting to be for this exact engine. Picked it up and plumbed it in about a week back. 

post-25772-0-70603200-1551364561_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like it's ever been fitted. Fitting was pretty straightforward, remove plastic engine cover and file it in the bin, disconnect common rail sensor, plug sensor into one end of tuning box loom, other end into the fuel rail where sensor was unplugged from. The box just intercepts the signal, does some jiggery pokery and the car moves less glacially afterwards. It's no remap, but I've no angry lights, smoke etc and there's a noticeable increase in useful overtaking grunt. I paid £15 just out of interest, the same box is about £45 on eBay at the moment.

Something else is the apple of my eye, auction ends at approx 8pm tonight, if I win it will be collected tomorrow and the Astra up for grabs.

It's a 54 plate, 1.7 CDTI with 140 something K on the clock. MOT until September. £110 P/A road tax. Scroll up for photo.

Drives fine, economy excellent, wee tuning box makes it useful at overtaking. 

Back arches crusty, paint flaking on front bumper, opening the bonnet is a two man job but just requires adjustment. Three good tyres, one legal but looks a bit old. 

Very much an car. Utterly dependable in the time I've owned it and I definitely shouldn't be selling it. 

I'd be after about £400. May take a little less if it was gone this weekend. In Cumbernauld, can meet at stations etc.

Those boxes do give a performance increase, but they do it by tricking the ECU into delivering more fuel to the rail and in turn adding pressure to the injectors.

The result is more diesel is delivered, which means it goes better.

If you're happy delivering more fuel to your injectors than they're designed to take in regular use, that's absolutely fine, and I've run them on £500 bangers in the past to do just that, but some engines are a bit sensitive about this sort of thing.  I'd not use one on my 2.2 Duratorq for example. :).

Those Astra's go alright for what they are, someone will enjoy that car, and at £400 it's not exactly expensive.