Hedgehog Motors - The ̶L̶e̶x̶ Rex Files

davehedgehog31

Indeed they are by all accounts, how the hell is it still there or has it been drilled and tapped which is I believe the "mod" to make sure they stay on?

Don't think so, it will be getting whipped off quick smart.

My other 405 has all four! They're safely stowed though, I only bring them out for photos...

A successful days tinkering today. The other half of the acquisition conglomerate was in attendance and put hard to work.

After a scran we collected wares and cracked on. Oil, filters, plugs and leads were all done. Much to my horror this was the sum total of the oil drained... I think we got to it just in time.

We retired for a Greggs lunch. We had planned on completing the thermostat forthwith, but due to Halfords being a complete bump we decided to move onto other tasks.

In an attempt to restore some equilibrium to the relationship with domestic management her 2013 Alto was next on the block for an oil and filter change. The drain plug had been done up by some kind of norse god and was in no mood to go anywhere. Eventually lying under the car and delivering a swift boot to a spanner cracked it loose.

4430fb425ae63fd9f3e970670880e087.jpgc0ffe39ecb121da881459cb45d6666ca.jpgb4a34cc39bdc6d55b3459fa7442e7126.jpg06fdeedf518d4b6a66a30f512d623c16.jpg

Stuff Halfords, give John a ring at ED Autosupplies in Kirky arcade on 0141 237 2360.

He can usually tell you off the top of his head about the part you are asking for and his reply is more often than not "I'll have that in for 1 o'clock".

Top shiteing though, I quite fancy a 405 one day.

John is a guid cunt!

I've got a serious hankering for a 405 again too, cue a "drive more cars" comment but for me they have the best ride, handling and steering feel combination of any mainstream car I've driven.

I tend to agree - they're great motors to drive. 

For me, the early 90's were the peak of car production.

Cars from that era strike a good balance between reliability and complexity, well engineered enough to be dependable, but not made overly complex and deliberately obstructive to the home mechanic. 

Another significant factor is weight, as there have been improvements in crashworthiness cars have become increasingly bloated. On cars back then pillars were there to keep the roof up which means you can actually see out of the thing. 

It all adds up to a car that you feel you're actually driving. As accomplished and refined as cars of the last ten years are, you feel detached from both driving and the car's upkeep. 

Much to my horror this was the sum total of the oil drained...

That's not only plenty, it looks like it would have been good for another 150,000 miles.

I've got a serious hankering for a 405 again too, cue a "drive more cars" comment but for me they have the best ride, handling and steering feel combination of any mainstream car I've driven.

I share this impression when it comes to that era saloons. Apparently they applied a lot of their rally experience.

I wouldn't want to drive any model that is lesser motorised than the two litre, though, since even those feel still underpowered for their ability, despite being fucking fast.

It's a shame they never made a 3.0 24v.

I tend to agree - they're great motors to drive. 

For me, the early 90's were the peak of car production.

Cars from that era strike a good balance between reliability and complexity, well engineered enough to be dependable, but not made overly complex and deliberately obstructive to the home mechanic. 

Another significant factor is weight, as there have been improvements in crashworthiness cars have become increasingly bloated. On cars back then pillars were there to keep the roof up which means you can actually see out of the thing. 

It all adds up to a car that you feel you're actually driving. As accomplished and refined as cars of the last ten years are, you feel detached from both driving and the car's upkeep. 

+15768598676

I rescued this last year from Copart, 1993 520i. 'Only' 150 bhp, five speed ZF automatic and a portly 1500kg despite being not that big. 225/60x15 tyres that soak up potholes, and suspension able to cope with both speed bumps, potholes and that kind of shit yet, when pressed will corner nicely with loads of steering feel. Remarkably quiet - it hums along at 80 yet emits a pleasing six cylinder noise when pressing on. Insanely comfortable with sprung seats and little wind noise. Not fast but brisk enough and the gearing is nice and tall on the Shitobahn resulting in 80 being about 2500 rpm. The 525i is much better with similar economy.

So, when I drove it a few times before it went its new owner I wondered why cars had to be 'improved' and it's because we're never satisfied with anything. This model 525i Automatic with AC is about as good as cars get. The 7 Series like mine is superfluous as it's bigger, heavier and doesn't really do anything better apart from use more fuel. 

I only drove one 405 in my life, a 405GTX on an F plate when it was about a year old, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some cars just surprise you like that. 

P.S I did not add the white indicators. They are a crime. 

post-3069-0-60576600-1545392238.txt

Been smoking about in the white 405 for a bit. It drives nicely.

It does need the new thermostat fitted though, it's running a bit cooler than you'd like ideally.

I gave it a wash at 11pm, I probably looked a bit mental.

There's a straight car under the neglect. b31ff77c92211690e99d2f5d0f0bb0a0.jpg347aec6a078c9f468d4b8f84915a5fc1.jpg797eb07e52881cab83592dcc0ba478bb.jpg

So this has done 80 miles today. It stands us at a grand total of £184 for a serviced and (probably) dependable motor.

Mostly motorway cruising, where sitting at 65 you can speak to your passenger in hushed tones.

You will both be very comfortable thanks to the excellent ride quality and superb seats.

When you come off the motorway and onto the twisties it will put a smile on your face with its direct and communicative steering

Finally, when you get into town you can negotiate the streets with ease thanks to superb visibility.

All the while you'll achieve 40 something miles to the gallon. You'll be able to maintain it yourself at home with ease. I changed the thermostat today and it literally took me two minutes.

So how exactly have cars improved?

• 2 weeks later...

Not been online too much over the holidays. 

Red 405 - Having some veg teething issues in very cold weather annoyingly. It's only really getting up to about 74c or so which seems slightly cool, radiator will be getting blocked off and thermostat changed to see if it improves. My issue is when I've been traveling at say 40-50mph into very cold air, approach roundabout, clutch down to shift to third, conks out. Will reluctantly start after a good 10-15 secs cranking. Wondering if it's drawing in air, or fuel lines too exposed to cold air. I'm only on 50/50 veg, so the former seems more likely. 

White 405 - Picking up a handbrake cable for this at lunchtime, should hopefully be all it needs for MOT... Headlamps are missing their reflective internals but seem to have passed previous tests like this. 

C1 - Going shortly to Kiltox of this parish.

Astra - Very dependable, popped a new thermostat in because it was taking yonks to get up to temperature - all good. Been commuting daily. 

Saab - Still great. Done plenty of miles in it and would do a lot more if it wasn't for it's insatiable thirst for motor spirit. Needs rear wheel alignment looking at but I knew that when I got it. Took it a new years day spin.

post-25772-0-57456100-1546519479_thumb.jpg

post-25772-0-97569900-1546519505_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As documented elsewhere, Kiltox took my C1, he collected yesterday morning, delivered to Cumbernauld by Sri05. Its been a good car for me, just with the Astra landing on my lap, surplus. Good to meet both chaps.

Afterwards, some slight modifications for veg running. When really cold and the veg therefore thicker, the fuel pump was sucking hard and exposing air leaks.

A manual prime would get it starting and running fine for a short time. Assume issue with notoriously shite plastic fuel filter housing or the associated convoluted fuel pipe run.

Decided to bypass this and replace it with a 320D cannister style filter. Amazingly, it fits snugly atop the radiator with no additional fastening required, good to know.

All this was documented in video form, along with a quick look at 320T and I's veg filtering setup.

There was progress today!

Had the day off work and decided the 405s handbrake would be a job best tackled in daylight hours. Iain Split_Pin had offered evening assistance, but I seized the day and was planning to do it solo.

Fortunately Mr 320T popped over with coffee to collect some veg and render assistance with the routing of the pesky central cable.

I had to replace two parts, the central section and the spur to the RH brake drum. The central section was routed under heat shields and so on. There was prodding pulling and bolt extractors employed. Eventually we had it free. Routing the new cable up through the floor was achieved eventually with a length of bicycle brake cable and a tiny cable tie. Made much easier with a body on both sides.

With the hard bit done, Neil left with 40L or so of filtered WVO in tow. The merc seeming much healthier after its exhaust repairs. Our veg is looking good and looking forward to seeing how the cars run on it.

I eventually got everything routed, the spur cable installed and the handbrake adjusted up. All in all, a pretty unpleasant and claustrophobic job but rewarding nonetheless. Car is ready for its MOT as far as I can tell and will get it booked in for next week. a2fe875d1fa6865d0a11ac81bafd4286.jpgcad1545000a4220af80ee649c626bc83.jpg86dc7783924934b4561f36193a29192d.jpgc3770d21714dd865d408e188d6d61e27.jpgac45ad7fb5fc5ed6c9e68ae6c307383e.jpg

I'd somehow managed not to see any updates on this since mid December, great stuff. I really, really must get a go in a 405 one day.

I think I've only ever sat in one, age about ten, but dad decided he couldn't afford it and stuck with the 309.

Maybe you'll be able to sample one of my pair at a meet one day!

I covet a diesel 309 too, my Grampa had one and a mate of mine until about 5 years ago too.