Hedgehog Motors - The ̶L̶e̶x̶ Rex Files

davehedgehog31

That last recorded mpg might be a bit low because it turns out that mx5 wheels do indeed fit the 107

post-4462-0-57518500-1544271315_thumb.jpg

The tyres are a bit* bigger

post-4462-0-54224400-1544271379_thumb.jpg

which may have helped with the hooning :)

The reason I took off the original steelies was to give them a coat of paint

post-4462-0-66188500-1544271457_thumb.jpg

which obviously added many horsepowers

As alluded to elsewhere there was some chod tickling this morn with Mr 320T of this parish.

My first tentative steps into Veg were taken, 5L of veg were acquired and decanted into the 405.

IMG-20181209-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20181209-WA0009.jpg

It's running at a mere 10-15% at the moment, but I'll gradually increase it and see how we go. 

This nice Ovlov was spotted whilst acquiring veg. I like to imagine it retired to a gated gravel driveway somewhere.

20181209-122146.jpg

Cars were exchanged, I got a shot of the HMS Merc. A very nice steer indeed. Not brisk, but immensely dignified. 

IMG-20181209-WA0010.jpg

As above, I've been exploring veg running on the 405. Mr 320Ts Merc acquisition started the conversation. There was prodding on Sunday with helpful tips for adaptation. Namely, addition of inline filter and perhaps even bypassing of the plastic fuel filter housing altogether, they're a weak point. 

I've decided to start low and ramp it up. My current ratio is up to circa 10L of of veg to 40L of DERV. Covered 150 miles on it already and have had no issue at all. Performance seems entirely unaffected and starting is still fine, we were at 0c this morning. Got 2 fuel filters in stock, so will swap out over the next few tanks as seemingly running on veg dredges up assorted sediment.

I do prefer the 405 to drive and wouldn't mind commuting in it full time, I find it a really comfortable drive. Veg could conceivably see it gazump the C1 in pence per mile terms and it could be passed to my girlfriend if she wants it freeing up a space on the fleet.

DEPLOY MAN MATHS

tenor.gif?itemid=9919713

C1;

Fuel Type - Unleaded

Fuel Cost - 118.9

MPG - 58

PPM - 9.3

405:

Fuel Type - 40:60 Diesel to New Veg Oil

Fuel Cost  - 92.2

MPG - 50

PPM - 8.38

C1's coat is on a shoogly peg...

This of course assumes 50mpg is achievable on this mix, but 40:60 seems like a good ratio to aim to build up to. If it was a complete shed I'd just fling any old shit in it and say fuck it, but I'd like to keep it nice so I'll take it easy.

Chinese supermarket turns out to be a good source of veg, this works out at 82ppl, beating Tesco by some 8p. You also look like less of a screwball buying in bulk. They also have a free aquarium masquerading as a live seafood section.

20181210-123617.jpg

I also treated her to a quick no bucket wrong one.

20181210-204529.jpg

Farmfoods is good for Veg. 10l bottle are £10 each but if you buy 2 its £16. Also if you get the leaflet there is £5 off if you spend £50. So I buy 6 x 10 litres plus a couple of quid's worth of chocolate. Works out at roughly 72 pence a litre 8)

Top knowledge chap, Farmfoods beckons when I return from London..the Merc will need a feed.

Do we have an "idiot shiter's guide to vegging"? Can you even veg, bro, with a landrover 200Tdi? I do so little mileage that it's never made much sense but my interest is piqued.

The idiots guide to vegging is relatively simple:

Do some reading up on your particular engine - key things to be aware of etc. You undertake doing this at your own risk! I don't know every pump/engine/ car combo and suitability, the below is just a run through of what I do.

What type of pump do you have? Generally, Bosch pumps are happier on high concentrations of veg than Lucas) Others may just be a NO.

Does the pump use the fuel as lubricant? If so, you may need to keep some diesel in the mix.

Next, make sure your engine is in tip top order - give it a service, make sure the glowplugs and circuit work well, and that the coolant system works correctly - you need the engine to warm up fully for best performance.

Next, check the condition of your fuel system - the fuel pickup should be clear and free flowing at the tank.

Check all lines and hoses for damage/perishing - with veg oil being thicker, the pump works harder and can draw Air in. If in doubt, replace! Heating the fuel can think it - some vehicles have inbuilt fuel heater circuits (e.g. my Merc)

Fuel filters - fit a new one. Veg will clean detritus from the lines, so expect to change the filter a couple of times when you start running veg - just keep a spare in the boot. After the initial couple, follow the filter service interval or change more frequently.

Now you are ready to cook with oil

I tend to start cars off on a low concentration - 10-15% and ramp it up over a couple of tanks.

In winter, running high concentrations can be difficult, so I would aim for a 50/50 mix after 2/3 tanks and see how the car performs.

Good luck!

Lots on line I looked at for my engine preference ( Rover L series). I read far too much I should've just got on with it (cheap car WCPGW)

Stuck in 20 litres diesel then topped up with 20 litres veg. Bit off faff trying to hold strainer and large bottle of veg. and pour at same time! But results were fine starts easy and runs good. Smells a little different. In summer I'll go to 75% mix.

Even tempted to buy something L series a bit more comfy than current 25. This being current watch list material https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332924180775

I'm with LP on the whole 405 veg thing. I've done thousands of miles on new SVO and waste, filtered SVO with a bit of petrol/diesel to thin it when it's really cold. Only ever problems I ever had was being too greedy with the veg when a sudden cold snap caught me out. None of the XUD's I have ever run on it have ever not failed to start though, even if they won't rev properly immediately after spluttering into life. I've always only used it with Bosch pumped motors though.

XUD's also love waste/contaminated hydraulic oil if you can find a source for it.

Lots on line I looked at for my engine preference ( Rover L series). I read far too much I should've just got on with it (cheap car WCPGW)

Stuck in 20 litres diesel then topped up with 20 litres veg. Bit off faff trying to hold strainer and large bottle of veg. and pour at same time! But results were fine starts easy and runs good. Smells a little different. In summer I'll go to 75% mix.

Even tempted to buy something L series a bit more comfy than current 25. This being current watch list material https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332924180775

I do fancy an L Series lump in something myself. Only read good things, I like a rustic diesel.

That 600 looks nice, such a good looking car.

I've not bought a car in over a month. 

A hastily convened collection caper will soon commence. The car is a known quantity and is relatively nearby, certainly compared to my 440 mile escapade for the Saab. 

Clue - It's as dull as fuck.

Shiter collection conveyance is due to arrive circa 1950hrs with an ETA some 45 minutes afterwards.

But first, a coffee.

mug.jpg

I have collected an car. It is very much an car and not much more.

It drove fine. It doesn't rattle, creak or anything else nasty.

It is so unnoteworthy I neglected to even take a photo.

Monsieur 320T has photos, I shall acquire them.

It will now enter an mpg-off with the C1. A battle royale of bleak transport.