Hedgehog Motors - The ̶L̶e̶x̶ Rex Files

davehedgehog31

Cheers all, I may do a write up on the other steeds in my household if they'd be of interest.

I ordered a kit to fix the Saab SID, it was completely blank.

Got the kit from a company called AK Speedo in Stirling for about £20. Came with ribbon cable and screen and uses a little sticky spacer which holds the contacts down without any adhesive being required on the contacts themselves. Would recommend it.

A bit fiddly, but got there with patience and lots of Acetone to clean up the contacts.

dbe74ac42041c4493e77e048f73498e5.jpg4899c1fe2c69c19546e5ec972b692e84.jpgc73eee7033378f6925b386efb9f230d5.jpg

Great write up on the C1, it made for some interesting reading.

I hadn't paid much attention to these before but the more I know about them the more I like them. It's pretty likely I'll replace the Lupo with one in the not too distant future, probably when the belt's due.

The C1 and Lupo are probably similar in dimensions, I've never driven a Lupo but always quite liked them. Would be interesting to hear how they compare as I suspect they're quite different. 

I've had this little doofer for two years or so and used it in several cars;

20181111-124454.jpg

It's a Bluetooth FM transmitter. Basically, you plug the device into the 12v socket. It transmits to an FM frequency of your choosing. Tune your car's FM radio to that frequency. You then connect your phone to the transmitter using Bluetooth and you can play audio wirelessly from your phone, be it podcasts, spotify or whatever.

It feels quite well made, the 12v socket fits snugly and the bendable metal neck is stiff enough that the unit stays in the same position all the time. 

The Bluetooth connectivity has been good with the two phones I've used it with, pairing is easy, it  then automatically connects quickly when the car's ignition is turned on and the unit powered up. The device has play, next and previous buttons that work as expected. 

The FM transmission works best on as clear a frequency you can find, but it's certainly been fine in every car I've used it in. It's probably not audiophile quality, but as good as any FM music station. 

It does support bluetooth calling, although I can't comment on call quality. I suspect with a small microphone, which is quite far away from your face it will be passable, but probably not great for anything other than short calls. 

You can connect devices by 3.5mm cable and it also has a Micro SD card slot which can play MP3 and AAC files, so you could load up an SD card with lots of songs and do it that way, I haven't used this function though. Additionally it has a USB port for charging devices.

My main criticism of the unit would be that I find the screen to be overly bright, so at night I usually end up angling it away from me. All in all though, a pretty neat way of bringing some extra connectivity to a car with an old head unit. At least it can be hidden away when not in use, unlike an all singing all dancing aftermarket head unit which tend to be pretty blingy.

Plenty of them on Amazon and eBay of various designs, but reckon they probably all use the same software and internals.

Great to see that SID working, you're clearly more patient and steady-handed than me! Sounds like the kit you ordered was a much better quality than the one I attempted too.

Do you know, I never noticed the radio had an Autoshite Search button?

Yeah, it seemed a good quality kit. I didn't fancy wielding a soldiering iron and this seemed the only way round it!

Well, the Saab continued to behave impeccably on our trip up to Ballachulish. 32 mpg seems to be about what it averages out at, I'm always half considerate of economy, just anticipating the road ahead to avoid putting on speed then dropping anchor, but haven't been hanging about in it either.

I also spotted this lovely old red bus the other day. eca3aca007bdbe5ea379106f06157145.jpgd363ce843c2ef64a38b44e8e6e244c8c.jpg694bfbdc3ee009e89276371d781df28f.jpg

Worth adding the A82 Road from Tyndrum up through Glencoe and on towards Fort William is amazing. The scenery is stunning with huge hills towering either side along with sections across bleak moorland and lochside parts.

You'll come across plenty tourists exhibiting frightening dawdling even at this time of year, but visibility is good with plenty of opportunities to pass.

Great review on the C1. I've been interested in one as a potential replacement for my ostentacious* Almera 2.2d given the type of driving I do.

A former work colleague had an Aygo. She replaced it with a Yaris diesel (£30 VED) as the Aygo kept getting blown about in cross winds on the A47 and I don't think she felt safe in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Following a very busy few weeks at work, I've not been on here or really doing much with the cars other than driving them a lot. 

I was getting itchy feet and dangerously started browsing ads yesterday afternoon, to try and alleviate these pangs I decided to pull the 405 out of it's hibernation and use it a bit over this month. I've been missing it.

It does present me with a bit of a dilemma, I would quite like to buy something else but I'm absolutely not going over a fleet of three. The Citroen is perfect for it's purpose and I quite like it, as long as i need a dependable and frugal commuter it will be going nowhere. The Saab is a very capable car and aside from being pretty thirsty, I am taken with it. That leaves the 405. I really don't want to part with it because it's a nice example and I do love it's rustic dieselness. I have however owned Peugeots for most of my driving career and there are plenty other cars out there I'd like to try. Decisions, decisions. 

I picked up this jump pack on sale last week;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDBND4D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It certainly packs a punch, charged it up and tested it jumping the 405, absolutely no bother. Comes in a nice sturdy hard shell case. Charges from a USB type C lead and can be used as a power bank for USB devices or 12v devices with the supplied adapter. 

I got it for £54 on an amazon "flash sale", would recommend. 

sold on the C1 .. we have a garage near us that does them up , has loads of spares and we need another car .....

mpg is incredible , road tax is yippee  .. will do the work run etc

so the Focus can be semi retired to her indoors use and put on a disabled tax band ..and end up doing some 3K a year ...

apart from handing out the readies it should be a win win

I was thinking of this thread, as I currently have a Citroën C1 courtesy car outside. I've driven several of them before (under the various badges): they're popular as courtesy cars and the car club I used to use has them. My mum has one too, with a Pug badge on it, but I don't think I've ever been in hers.

I like them as a tool to do a job for the minimum possible price and the ride quality is surprisingly good for something so small. Quite decent seats too and they can be well-equipped.

However... This one is the first auto I've driven and it is absolutely god-awful. Is it one of these robot manuals that I keep seeing mentioned? What are they and why? Honestly, the change is slower and less smooth than a Borg Warner 35.

sold on the C1 .. we have a garage near us that does them up , has loads of spares and we need another car .....

mpg is incredible , road tax is yippee  .. will do the work run etc

so the Focus can be semi retired to her indoors use and put on a disabled tax band ..and end up doing some 3K a year ...

apart from handing out the readies it should be a win win

Nice one - you're preaching to the converted here, I love them. 

Everything you've mentioned is true but it also puts a smile on my face, I love the raspy exhaust note.

Spares and service parts are also cheap and readily available. Really not much on them out of reach of the home mechanic. 

I was thinking of this thread, as I currently have a Citroën C1 courtesy car outside. I've driven several of them before (under the various badges): they're popular as courtesy cars and the car club I used to use has them. My mum has one too, with a Pug badge on it, but I don't think I've ever been in hers.

I like them as a tool to do a job for the minimum possible price and the ride quality is surprisingly good for something so small. Quite decent seats too and they can be well-equipped.

However... This one is the first auto I've driven and it is absolutely god-awful. Is it one of these robot manuals that I keep seeing mentioned? What are they and why? Honestly, the change is slower and less smooth than a Borg Warner 35.

I've driven quite a few too as hire cars etc but have never tried a diesel or the automatic. 

Forgot to mention the automatic in my review but yeah, it's an automated manual transmission rather than being hydraulically operated. The consensus is that they're a poor option and progress is jerky. I actually like the idea in principle but have never driven a car with one that I didn't find immensely frustrating. 

The C1 as it sits now, I have improved* its looks with these stylish* £8 wheel trims from ECP.

I love this car, even more than my last one seeing as its poverty spec, I like looking at my manual windows and lack of recirculating air function and being reminded of that, everything you need and nothing you don't. b6891876f886e210b56b4c1174038285.jpg

The exhaust rasp is fun isn't it! I didn't know they did a diesel - that's got to be one of the most economical cars of ever.

I do really fancy a diesel one, the consensus was that in isolation it was a decent enough option but given the economy of the petrol engine it would take too long in most cases to recoup the difference in initial outlay. 

The petrol was quoted at 61mpg initially with the diesel being quoted at 69mpg. I've had mid 60's from mine with considerate driving. 

The C1 as it sits now, I have improved* its looks with these stylish* £8 wheel trims from ECP.

I love this car, even more than my last one seeing as its poverty spec, I like looking at my manual windows and lack of recirculating air function and being reminded of that, everything you need and nothing you don't. b6891876f886e210b56b4c1174038285.jpg

I wish you hadn't bought those wheel trims, I have a set in my garage that you could have had for nowt :( 

they appear to be the same style if you want them for spare (for when one of yours goes bouncing off along the hard shoulder) 

I do really fancy a diesel one, the consensus was that in isolation it was a decent enough option but given the economy of the petrol engine it would take too long in most cases to recoup the difference in initial outlay. 

The petrol was quoted at 61mpg initially with the diesel being quoted at 69mpg. I've had mid 60's from mine with considerate driving. 

I must be doing something wrong ?

post-4462-0-88792300-1543946269_thumb.png

Regarding the wheel trims - if you're at the next Scotoshite and remember them, I'd be happy to take them as spares, but if you find something more needing in the meantime don't hang onto them on my behalf! Much appreciated though. 

That's a bit disappointing on your fuel economy, I suppose it's worth noting most of my driving in it is motorway and my mid 60s figures have been on long runs at circa 60. But yeah, even with a mix I'd still expect 50+. What kind of driving do you do in your bug? 

I had my £11 Chinese head unit lying about and decided to stick it in this last night, landed a fascia adapter off eBay for buttons and set to work.

Fairly dramatic looking;

stereo1.jpg

Chinese stereo mit Blueteeth deployed;

Stereo2.jpg

I got these speakers cheap as an Amazon "warehouse" deal, £13. Just cut off the proprietary plastic connector and crimped some new terminals down. 

stereo4.jpg

Initial impressions are that it sounds like an improvement and bluetooth call quality is acceptable. The speakers certainly have more heft to them than the items that came out. Of course after I put it all back together I realised the stereo isn't remembering the time, last station etc so will need to pull it back out to change the constant 12v pin... joy.

I'd been having issues starting the 405 after it had been sitting even for two days. Battery looked new but turned out to be well shagged. Before I got the car it had been laid up a while, its probably been put on then barely used for a few years.

My central locking is now snappier!

Another approval for Tayna batteries, ordered at half 3 on Thursday afternoon and it was at my house less than 24 hours later, cheapest I could find online too.