Hedgehog Motors - The ̶L̶e̶x̶ Rex Files

davehedgehog31

Bought the car from a chap on eBay after he was fucked about by your usual pond dweller eBay bidder.

Car only has a week's test left, but it seems absolutely spot on. One owner from new, full Quentin approved service history and evidence of a timing belt. Four newish Michelin CrossClimate tyres and a poppy appeal sticker.

Bash in the tailgate and usual giffer corner scuffs but all in all, good.

As for the drive, well the ride is excellent and it is serene on the motorway. 85mph equates to roughly 2.5k, allegedly I must add.

Had an extremely busy weekend with collecting the C5 and various other errands. It's clocked up about 350 miles. My mum saw it and said "what made you buy a nice new car?", I'll take that as a seal of approval.

MOT is due in a week, so will try and get it in tomorrow or Wednesday. I think it has a slightly sticky NSF caliper, but has improved with use and will hopefully not present an issue. 

Astra going shortly, staying in the fold and staying nearby. 

The Saab doing as the Saab does. Performing dutifully.

405 - Not liking the veg, will post up in Veg thread. 

MGF - No progress, not going to tax it or insure it until the start of May, so plenty time yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Fleet update. After a hectic schedule involving a damaging stag do to Krakow, work trips away etc and absolutely dreadful weather, I'm just regaining my car mojo and building up a bit of momentum. 

Only movement since the C5 arrived was the Astra going out to BlackBoilerSuit of this parish. A top chap and hope it will serve him well. 

The C5 covered 500 miles in it's first week and was faultless as far as I could tell. Put in for the MOT and the tester didn't share my view. Needs a CV boot, ball joint, track rod end and the handbrake which acts on the front wheels is also seized on one side. Simply could not be fucked, so it's been thrown at a garage. It's quickly not looking the bargain I thought, remind me why I got rid of the Astra?

The 405 had been grumpy running on veg and had gotten to the point where the idle* would bounce up and down wildly and bog down and eventually conk out. Pulled the fuel pickup out from under the back seats;

post-25772-0-21854000-1553522578_thumb.jpg

This was the state of the strainer, fuel is picked up through a plastic pipe which sits at the bottom of the strainer. 

post-25772-0-90046800-1553522592_thumb.jpg

That would do it... also found an utterly shagged air hose which was salubriously taped up for a better than factory fix. Running perfectly now. Repaid me by developing a sticky caliper. Bastard. Will strip down and clean tomorrow or Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a busy while both car and non-car wise, quick round up.

So the C5 was submitted for MOT and failed to a surprising extent. Needed a CV boot, ball joint, track rod end and some handbrake footering. Seeing as it's meant to be my dependable car, it was put into a garage. A not insignificant bill later, MOT passed and it can now start earning it's keep.

Gave it a very quick polish, looks presentable;

c5.jpg

As reported above, I done some work on the Pug to aid veg running. Can now confirm it's perfect. Have done over 1000 miles. Here's a video of a 2 degrees celcius cold start, car was frozen over and had even been sitting for a few days, it loves the veg;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyhVFYMRpjw

Myself and Mr 320T have the WVO processing facility on the go, but production is pretty slow at the moment, so cleared out tesco in Dundee of their 70p/L sunflower oil. Turns out a trolley will hold 15, if you were wondering.

veg.jpg

veg2.jpg

veg3.jpg

Noticed I had a rear bulb out. Revealed a damp boot floor, humphed it all out the boot, washed and dried it and sealed up the real light units, sorted;

405boot.jpg

405boot2.jpg

French section of the fleet;

frenchies.jpg

I took a trip to the Bo'ness and Kinneil railway, a heritage railway, went a run on a steam train in a carriage with proper compartments. 

train.jpg

Had a swatch round their excellent museum, then spied this, wonder if it will run veg?

20190326-135859.jpg

Rounded off with a visit to the riverside museum in Glasgow;

20190326-151606.jpg

imp.jpg

The last couple of weeks I've been up and down to Aberdeen on several occasions, usually in the 405, but took the C5 on the latest occasion, run back down the road returned a respectable economy figure (trip computer seems to be spot on from manual checks)

c5mpg.jpg