We're off to see the Skizzer, PT 2.

320touring

This ones for topping up the coolant on a MGF with HGF using sparkling raspberry flavoured water because it's all you have to hand.

A couple of chaps on a banger rally i did 15 years ago did something similar. The rad cap on their Bluebird went missing* and the car ejected its coolant. They refilled it using cheap red wine they’d bought in Calais, rammed a cork in the rad and wired it down, then drove to the south of Italy with no issues.

Here’s some

TOP LEFT to RIGHT

Take several photos of a car, not one managing to include the whole car. Awarded with Knights Cross if interior shot consists of standing by the drivers window taking a grainy shot of yourself holding a camera vaguely towards a car

Tie an exhaust back on. Awarded with Oak Leaves if hairy string found by the roadside is used

The “Dropped the heavy thing on my bloody foot” badge. Awarded with MBE if Talbot based

BOTTOM LEFT TO RIGHT

Awarded for timely updates on collection missions or friendly chats with the RAC. Awarded with DSO if your phone actually looks a bit like a bat

The Microscope and Scissors award. Given for diagnosing and then fixing a head gasket failure by the road using just these two pieces of kit. Awarded with Knighthood if a KV6 was involved

The “why the fuck do I bother with cars” badge. Awarded to all with bonus Fray Bentos pie tin lid if bike concerned has been retrieved from a skip in front of the bloke with the skip and in view of your wife, kids, and half the neighbours.

I'm late to the party here but I think I've got all those badges in the stock pile here if anyone wants to make this a reality ;-)

(They're Beaver badges, and they're the old ones to boot. It does mean you've all got the mentality of a 7 year old)

For clarity, the reference in the the first post to a 'slow burner' collection mission relates to the plans for the Golf.

It's not going to be heading north this weekend - the plan is a slow recommission, with the goal to be on the road early next year..

Should be fun!

The Vauxhall is staying with me - it’s now my WBOD.

We’ll see how we get on with Golf recommissioning tomorrow. It’s not been MOTd for a long time but it has been running quite a lot more recently than that.

They're bloody tough things, my guess is few issues to get it back running and driving ok. My one had been out of service for years and after a bit of kjet coaxing it fired up just fine and drove ok. Took it straight fit an MOT and it only failed on a non functioning rear brake plus a slight blow in the exhaust.

The bodywork was remarkable trait, made from thick steel these.

K-jet, I'm sure you know, but check the metering head is ok, and the lift pump at the back. I've had to replace both in the past on old VWs. The lift pump more than once.

I've probably got a can of Helios blue paint, and some karmann gti cab rear lights somewhere if you want.

I liked my old cabby.

post-4715-0-72262900-1541233845_thumb.jpg