FOR SALE, SEAT Leon 1.9tdi Y plate £350 ono New mot but needs a water pump,Swansea

vaughant

Keep it man....save your money!!!! Thats what I’d do :)

Yep, bought brakes today on an ecp discount code all round for £65, probably for a rover sd1 3500 but fingers crossed!!!

And a wing mirror cover for £15 delivered from eBay.

£75 for a screen and an evenings labour should see it back on the road.

Fingers crossed.

PS did you sell the XC90?

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update, she will be mot'ed by the weekend. Did the work but as suspected ECP let me down on the front brakes and supplied front discs that were too small, very annoying. I was 7-7 days that week and had already been booked in so had to go with it and replace the discs with the smaller ones supplied ( once the others came off they were in a right old state). A tentative test drive revealed the brakes worked A1 (they were a max of 10mm different) so I thought sod it lets see what the MOT man says.

He said NO!!

However, tyre and screen aside no other issues were found so I've left it at the garage ready for its full retest.

I can highly recommend this garage (MOT Autocentre,Swindon) as they've been very thorough on the car and also very fair, only £25 for an MOT with a free retest and they've been great as regards dropping off/collecting out of hours etc.

Just hope it doesn't instantly shit itself !!!!

Hopefully it goes through the MOT alright. Keep us updated. If I don't win the roffle for the focus (more than likely, given that I've only bought one ticket) I may be interested if it was still for sale.

It will be for sale at some point but it will be a month or two at least.

Plus I'm afraid it will now be way more than the £200 as it's cost me a few Bob to put it through.

But man maths means I'll end up advertising it at £700 and take £199 for it but justify it by retaining the stereo and the fact it would have cost me more in taxis or something.

As true autoshiters do.

It will be for sale at some point but it will be a month or two at least.

Plus I'm afraid it will now be way more than the £200 as it's cost me a few Bob to put it through.

But man maths means I'll end up advertising it at £700 and take £199 for it but justify it by retaining the stereo and the fact it would have cost me more in taxis or something.

As true autoshiters do.

Seems fair to be honest. You need to recoup some of the money you put into it. Will definitely be interested in it nearer the time. 

post-20636-0-34829700-1547731037_thumb.png

YAY !!!!

overall £350 to pass including the screen excess, new front discs and pads fitted and a new rear tyre.

They charged me £211 for the front discs pads and tyre all fitted plus the MOT which I thought was good, probably £150 in parts and tyre alone.

I messed up with the front discs and pads personally so my bad. Without that cock up it could have been all done for an evenings work and £200.

Still it now has all new brakes all round that should last a good few years, good tyres, fresh screen and MOT.

I may* even have a buyer if needs be by the end of the month although that depends more on me than anything else.

Not currently for sale and leanycan above has made a provisional enquiry but it would be £600 minimum. A steal for one of these with a years ticket and very little to go wrong for the next one, looking at the usual sources anyway. I could throw in a spare engine for another ton. I'm currently using this anyway but as my contract has just been extended it could be surplus in the next few weeks of I can sort a newish c-class out.

• 2 months later...

Really frustrating this but I get the car mot'ed and started driving it which was great, it ran awesome and was brill on fuel again. Every now and then though, it would overheat for about 30 seconds then a huge blast of heart would come in through the heaters and all was well again.

I thought nothing of it really until the overheating got more frequent and longer each time.

Suspecting a sticky thermostat I changed this for a new one, seemed a lot better, certainly got the heaters working ok.

Drove it to work the next day fine but in the way home, it got warm again, proper warm. Pulled into membrey services and let it cool down but it was steaming off a lot. Filled with water and limped it to my unit a few miles away. Pissed about with it for a few hours linking out heaters etc, removed the thermostat but it didn't seem much happier. I had to get a few hours sleep before work so left it at that. Woke up and had a brainwave that there was no way the water was bleeding through properly with the heater bypassed. Put heater back into the circuit and drove to work, never went over 60 degrees.

Drove it home the next day to Swansea, never went over 60 degrees apart from in traffic it went to 90 (perfect) and say there for an hour, cooled straight down afterwards. Time I got to Port Talbot and parked up it got a tad warmer, just over 90. Opened the expansion tank and a load of air/steam came out. Drove it home and it was ok again until I came to a big hill etc but it did cool itself after a few minutes. Gutted.

Interweb suggests water pump and I'm inclined to agree, nothing else makes sense, no water loss over time, no leaks, no symptoms of omghgf. Apparently these can go for years with a weak pump due to the design of it (????) But I think this one's finally gone.

Bearing that in mind a pump is £30 or so but realistically you'd want to do the timing belts as I've never done them them out starts becoming a £300 job which I can't really justify having 5 other cars in various states of repair plus a Toyota that I love driving and suits me more than this.

I'm only asking my MOT money back, it may or may not drive you home, it works be your risk. It's for someone mechanically minded really, it will piss next year's MOT as everything's done on it, drives great apart from this, so much nicer with new brakes and a windscreen that isn't cracked. I've a spare engine I'll throw in for few incase the worst happens so it even comes with a sort of insurance policy!!!!

I'd there's no interest on here I'll get it down to my unit slowly and do the work but grab a decent bargain and help me out as I'm too busy elsewhere!!!

You can check the water pump impeller through the thermostat hole in the block if I remember correctly.

I've had some trouble with VAG 110 TDI engines overheating, both were pressurising the coolant with exhaust gasses.

Ah that would a great idea, I took the thermostat out anyway to prove/alleviate the problem which did work sort of so I know how easy it is to remove!!!!

What I should also confess is that I thought the thermostat was actually at the end of the head so I removed that waterway manifold thing just to find it wasn't behind it.......

Yeah I know, ten minutes on the web etc.

No not really, but I'm a LTD company so there are certain tax breaks involved!!! However I'd prefer this to be a purchase for myself to keep afterwards but the fly in the ointment is that we're seriously looking to move to the Canary Islands (Fuerteventura to be exact) within the next three years and frankly something that has four wheels and moves is good enough out there!!!

Therefore, if I put £20k into something which would be 75% borrowed minimum, what's out worth in 3 years time at 6 years old,£10k? So I've lost £10k plus the inevitable maintenance costs less any major breakdowns, I'm going to say more like £15k overall. Therefore I'm thinking £10k in, get something nice (ish) like perhaps a newer version of your XC90 and keep it until the time is up to go or if its been a good car, convert it over to LHD or seek/swap for a LHD one.

Also, my Mrs has just sent her motability application off for PIP and of that comes through we then have a new car for three years at a cheap price.

Bloody confused.

I actually like the Prius myself, love the concept but I'm not sure the Mrs is on board.

The only tax break I can see with running a car not through a company, is to claim 45p / 25p a mile, and take 27p/7p a mile out of the business tax free.

The only tax break I can see with running a car not through a company, is to claim 45p / 25p a mile, and take 27p/7p a mile out of the business tax free.

The sums involved with putting a lease car through the books and giving yourself a company car really don’t stack up in a close company - definitely better doing as you say with mileage than getting tangled up in BIK.

But as I've worked in the same place for over 2 years I can no longer claim expenses unless it's a commercial vehicle or a hybrid/full LECK-TRICK which just doesn't stack up for me therefore I bit the bullet and bought a 64 plate euro 6 Merc c220cdi which I love.

I raided the old moneybox etc and only ended up needing about 55% on a loan which I'm happy with.

It's really just a personal car but even when I looked at moving on to reactivate the expenses the wages were a bit lower plus less hours so in the end I saved on one bit lost on another.

Plus I get 0/t rates where I am which are silly really so it yields a decent quick call injection when required.

This really is surplus now so any offers considered, be such a shame to bridge it.