FOR SALE, SEAT Leon 1.9tdi Y plate £350 ono New mot but needs a water pump,Swansea

vaughant

Been mine for the last two years roughly and provided sterling service but I haven't used it since June when the MOT ran out and I can't see me bothering again, I'm getting too close to the end of my current work contract and I'm enjoying my Vito plus need to clear the decks.

The car.

2001 Leon, bodywork rust free and reasonably presentable, stupid things like the wing is silver but clearly been resprayed, looks ok but not a perfect match, front bumper hanging off a bit on one side due to a stupid high curb in work catching it.

Engine and box are superb, I swapped the box on it as I lost 5th after it's one and only FTP. After I swapped out and stripped the old one it turned out that the 5th gear retaining circlip had fallen off!!! A ten minute fix, but I did find a chipped tooth and the box had been run for years without oil so scrapped it anyway. Works fine now. Literally just remembered I put a cat on it as the old downpipe failed.

Starts first time everytime no matter what, doesn't use oil or water, returns 47mpg with all types of driving, have had 600 miles out of a tank and that worked out over 50mpg. Punchy engine too, pulls like a, well, fill in your own description there!!

NEVER let me down engine wise, not even hinted at it. I have had one FTP though. A previous owner changed the engine in it so I was told, he must have tightened the engine mounts to 600nM and caused severe fatigue on the bolt. I'd noticed it occasionally rocking after a long run (I was using it 3 times a week back and forth Swansea to Swindon, approx 500 miles). I ignored it as it was infrequent until I found getting gear really hard, this was unbeknown to me because the passenger side engine mount was held on by about 1/2 a thread of bolt. This failed, caused major stress on the other one and then the engine dropped down whilst I was driving along at 30. The only real casualty was the driveshaft which rubbed against the chassis rail and broke the outer CV. I replaced with new, fitted a second hand mount off the other box and way to go. Soon lost 5th so changed that box anyway as stated above, lovely fresh gear oil in it, changes really well for one of these boxes, no whining etc.

Interior let's it down a bit, everything works including elec Windows and Aircon but my dog took a liking to the passenger seat and chewed the fabric, he also broke the glovebox lid in the same incident, cheers Chester. It just feels a bit grubby and weathered although surprisingly not worn through anywhere.

The catch.

It passed the last MOT needing a few advisories which were mostly done by me including a major oil leak (loose turbo oil feed pipe) and in doing so I replaced the wiper blades as they were pants. While doing this, the arm spring dropped into the screen and cracked it. I've driven it for another year like this as it wasn't in the driver's vision. But looking at the MOT rules it will fail due to this.

I genuinely can't see what else it will fail on bar possibly rear discs that are a bit ridged however these weren't even mentioned on the last MOT so perhaps not, perhaps a few bulbs.

I'm tempted to MOT it myself and put it on gumtree for £650 with a years ticket but cannot be arsed really so I'm offering it at a steal really. It drives great, by all means come and try it, no problem. It has a decent battery as well and included are 2 steel wheels and 2 extra alloys. It's fitted with golf GTi alloys as I detest steel wheels, these vastly improved the ride quality on it, one has a flat though and another a really slow puncture.

It's not completely fucked as I wouldn't sell it on here. I'm offering it at just above scrap really add I could remove the alloys and battery, possibly cat, James brown and get my money that way but I'd like to see it live on as it's a good car that I've put 45k on in 17 months!!!

Contact through here initially please all.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the veg friendly VE TDI at this age, SEAT and Skoda stuck with them for longer than VW and Audi. Also plug and play remaps available.

100% the ve pumped motor.

Don't think it's been fettled with but bags of power, very torquey which was a characteristic of the ve over the pd.

I even have a spare engine that could go with it for a bit extra.

Being offered £165 from some scrap my car sites although I'd love to see it live on, screen apart there's nothing wrong with it really.

I was just looking through the MOT history and realised it's never failed on anything worse than tyres or brake pads.

The last one drew a few advisories but as the tester said, they're all related to the oil leak that's long since been sorted. It's all been washed off underneath and as most SEATS of this era is pretty spotless.

You might find a Roffle find it a new home.

Car sounds good with a few minor issues only (assumed)

It will be the assumed MOT that is holding it back and I'd get a picture up some folk can see the car and the Reg number and then they can check history for themselves.

If a winning Roffler got it on a tenner worth of tickets, five Aryton Siennas on a collection, same again on an MOT and then just the screen to be seen maybe they could be all in for £400

post-20636-0-67915900-1542991821_thumb.jpg

Y211kcb for the relevant checks.

It's a great car for someone, I'd go so far as to take it for an MOT to get an exact list of faults but truthfully if I've gone that far I'll most likely get the screen done and ask £600 or whatever for it. Just genuinely have too much other stood on sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking this for an MOT this week as I find myself in an awkward situation of three cars needing a MOT, one miles off, this and my Zafira pretty much good to go.

Had a result on the windscreen as my insurance isn't due until 17/12/18 so it can be done for £75 excess.

Hoping I won't get arse raped too much but over the years it's been pretty flawless MOT wise plus I've done a fair bit of remedial work in anticipation. Doesn't even smoke badly in anyway so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. Will be going in somewhere on Tuesday with any luck!!! Won't be for sale for a while then as I need to sort out a "good" car after my boys a-class goes back after 3.5 happy years. Looking at a newish c220 type of thing but still really struggling with the £20k or £300 plus per month outlay.

I should say the "thought" of paying that for a car/per month. I can afford it easily enough but the sensible person in me says get something for £10k that will do me for 3-4 years and even if it's foooked then, I'll still get £2k so £2k a year depreciation plus repairs.

I can fix most things myself but do I want to?

Does your job require you to have newish car? Do they give you a car allowance?

If so, where I am (my friend also works here) had bought a 65’ A6 S line Ultra (paid £25k outright for it) but the car allowance and mileage rate is essentially paying him back for the car which covers the depreciation too.

The reason I ask is this may work for you too...

However if their are not strict criteria set by the company (in the above the car has to be under 5 years old) then just buy a cheaper presentable car. £8k on a newer shape 5 series for instance

Or if you’d like a 13’ Prius for £8.5k then shout LOL ;)

Does your job require you to have newish car? Do they give you a car allowance?

If so, where I am (my friend also works here) had bought a 65’ A6 S line Ultra (paid £25k outright for it) but the car allowance and mileage rate is essentially paying him back for the car which covers the depreciation too.

The reason I ask is this may work for you too...

However if their are not strict criteria set by the company (in the above the car has to be under 5 years old) then just buy a cheaper presentable car. £8k on a newer shape 5 series for instance

Or if you’d like a 13’ Prius for £8.5k then shout LOL ;)

No not really, but I'm a LTD company so there are certain tax breaks involved!!! However I'd prefer this to be a purchase for myself to keep afterwards but the fly in the ointment is that we're seriously looking to move to the Canary Islands (Fuerteventura to be exact) within the next three years and frankly something that has four wheels and moves is good enough out there!!!

Therefore, if I put £20k into something which would be 75% borrowed minimum, what's out worth in 3 years time at 6 years old,£10k? So I've lost £10k plus the inevitable maintenance costs less any major breakdowns, I'm going to say more like £15k overall. Therefore I'm thinking £10k in, get something nice (ish) like perhaps a newer version of your XC90 and keep it until the time is up to go or if its been a good car, convert it over to LHD or seek/swap for a LHD one.

Also, my Mrs has just sent her motability application off for PIP and of that comes through we then have a new car for three years at a cheap price.

Bloody confused.

I actually like the Prius myself, love the concept but I'm not sure the Mrs is on board.

Lease a car - something along the lines of a 3 series through the business?

Weigh it up and see which would see you better off.

Don’t blame you for moving. If my daughters weren’t so young we’d be out of here like a shot. The plan is just that as soon as they finish school we’ll be moving out to Spain.

XC90 a good shout - they hold their value reasonably well.

So MOT time.

Failed (obviously) and while the list is a bit longer than I hoped.

Mainly brakes TBH and the windscreen being majors and a scruffy wing mirror. Brake light bulb.

Hardly the end of its life and I'm looking at £200 realistically to do the lot ( parts only) and all pretty easy stuff.

Seems fair for a years ticket plus the brakes were advised last year.

Decisions decisions.

As you say it doesn't seam a bad fail list at all. An if you can fit the parts yourself even better.

It looks in good condition too so seam's well worth the effort to me!

It is ok and drives really well, doesn't rattle or bounce about and I really noticed the turn of pace after driving the Vito about (which isn't slow either).

Some of the bodywork is a bit meh but there's no rust or serious dents and being a silver MK1 Leon there's 8,000,000 the same colour for breaking!!!

I found a colour coded Leccy wing mirror for £32 delivered on eBay then about another 6 for the same price and colour.

I've tried getting bits for my Ibiza Cupra and that really is a total nightmare.