It's the new Mark 4 Cortina!

The Reverend Bluejeans

Some of the cars used at our tech college were high-mileage (for their age) ex-taxis. Mid 80s I remember a 2.0 Mk1 Granada and a diesel Pug 504, both around R-reg 1977.

Some car manufacturers and dealers would often donate cars to ‘the cause’ for colleges to get people trained up. When I did my city&guilds we had a Metro, donated by Rover. It had a couple of hundred miles on the clock and never registered. Turned out to have been a pre production Rover 100 that they made and sent them out to dealerships to train the mechanics about the new incoming models.

Apparently, because of that they weren’t really supposed to be registered or sold but disposed of one way or the other once they were finished with. This one obviously survived the crusher only to be taken to bits and rebuilt again by spotty teenage mechanic wannabe’s!

We also had a Sierra Sapphire diesel that had a similar back story, but it was in a right shit state!

The body on it was mint though. I often wonder what did eventually happen to it.

Most of the other cars were just older MOT fails etc donated to the college.

• 3 years later...
On 11/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, quicksilver said:

I'll just leave these here. Same guy also owns a beige Allegro and one of those Mini Clubman estates with the plastic wood trim so is clearly a winner.

43589022354_5316fbef07_c.jpg

1978 Ford Cortina 2.0 GL by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

43589022494_5272f95d88_c.jpg

1978 Ford Cortina 2.0 GL by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

A bASe on Sercks, does it get any better than this?

28514636885_76ec3492ff_c.jpg

1979 Ford Cortina 1600 Base by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Has JohnK still got his MkIV Tina, infamously A-framed home from SF16 by the roffle Samara?

Also never realised until now that Cortina 80 estates kept the shallower windows, which explains why they look so much longer and sleeker than the saloons. Autoshite is edyookashunal.

Sorry for old thread resurrection, just excited to see my car has been on here before😃

40 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

I wish I owned a Cortina at some point. Or a Capri. There were still a few knocking around in 1997 for a few hundred quid

Or significantly less, for a MkV/ 'Cortina 80'...

1980 Cortina 1.6L.jpg

£80 in 1997.

In hindsight, I was robbed.

There were three MkIVs locally which I loved as a kid:

•  UKS249T, a fucked Jupiter Red 1.6 GL with a black vinyl roof rotting on a piece of waste ground near to my school; 
  • SOI***, a lovely Roman Bronze 2.3 Ghia with tan vinyl roof that belonged to an elderly couple at the end of the street, and which mostly lived snug in its garage and so was rarely seen out  on the road (and which I was distraught to encounter in a scrapyard c.2000), and
  • UHM784S, an Oyster Gold (?) saloon of uncertain spec that belonged to the nightwatchman at the plastics factory round the corner, and which used to drive past the house every evening.

I always wanted a MkIV, but the best I could manage was a later one.

This 2.0 GL estate cost me a grand in 2008.

1981 Ford Cortina 2.0 GL.jpg

It wasn't quite as good as it looked, sadly. Sold at a thumping loss in 2010.

Both now long since bean cans.