Car failed (Bmw e36) emissions on CO2

Vince70

My old E36 has just failed the emissions on the MOT today and apart from that everything was ok which I’m happy about.

The garage were brilliant to be honest and are going to have a look on Monday and previously some monkey has bodged up fitting my new exhaust and its always has sounded throaty but I put that down to it being a Ti but the tester said it’s leaking on the joints and has been bodged up with silicone by the previous garage so that’s where they are looking at first.

So I just wondered if that doesn’t work where should I look next.

Here’s the failure for the co2.

post-9282-0-01716300-1540648105_thumb.jpeg

The plugs and filters should be like new as I only changed them about 1000miles ago.

Plus I even threw on a set of leads and another Maf plus a couple of new sensors etc as it’s always felt a bit lumpy and I should of given it an Italian tune up as it hasn’t been used in about 7 months but it’s good news a guess that they found it’s leaking.

But it needs a good run that’s for sure as water is pouring out the exhaust but I’m hoping It’s nothing bad and just condensation.

It never uses a drop of oil but I’m worried about the amount of water/steam coming out the exhaust.

My other half has just reminded me it hasn’t been used since the previous August as I had the rover of doom last winter so no wonder it hasn’t done many miles and the ticket ran out a few months ago.

jiggerd 02/Lambda sensor usually shows up as high HC (hydro carbons/unburnt fuel)

Id get the exhaust sealed up, n give it a razz 20mins before the test; where this isnt 'advisable' eg lack of road test / long time since test elapsed, I used to get jacking it up at home n warm up the cat with a heat gun..

I changed the oxygen sensor last year I think and bought a genuine one and it still failed the previous year and I had a Cat and exhaust fitted previously and it did have to go back a couple of times as it was knocking on the bodywork.

The exhaust though was a cheapo made by ThyssenKrupp but I bought the same make previously for my Z3 and it fitted like a glove and it’s been on that car for 3 years now and sounds lovely on that car.

I’ve got an appointment at hospital early Monday so the car has to go in early at 8am but I might take it for a quick drive first if I can but it will be great if they sort it as it never felt as quick or pulled as well as my Z3 and both have the same M44 engine and done approximately 60000 each.

I’ve got to admit though after jumping into it after all that time it really is a nice car to drive and is in fantastic condition and doubt I would ever be able to afford another Ti in that condition again if I could find another one.

post-9282-0-17624100-1540661619_thumb.jpeg

I put my money on a Cat that's Shat.

I put a car in to test with an aftermarket Sports Cat on it, not our doing, car came to us already modified, failed with high CO, higher than yours. HC and Lambda all OK.

I did nothing but go out and get a good used second hand standard OE Cat (Loads available for our car cos the lads run de-cat M8 innit and the testa is a M9 bro) and lobbed it back in for the re-test, sweet as a nut.

There was deffo a honeycomb in our sports Cat but it probably started out life as a metal pan scourer

I've never used Cataclean but the advice of the chaps is good, rag it down the nearest Motorway and blow the cobwebs out, get it all nice and hot and get it straight on the tester.

I read somewhere about cats benefitting from a good wash with washing powder.  Er, obviously only if off the car.  It might be worthwhile if a car has been burning oil and the cat is sooty.  I was wondering about rigging up some sort of pump and a load of hot water with washing powder in it, but I'll probably never actually do it!

I have an aftermarket cat on the Pug 207 and it only just scraped through this year. It had to be red hot to get anywhere near a pass. I have never tried cataclean yet but will give it a go at next MOT.

As others have said, a good sealed system, an Italian road test and being red hot when tested should get it under the limit. However, don’t expect it to duck too far under though.

Cataclean in £20 of V-power, thrash the living bejeebus out of it and make sure they do the emissions the second you pull up.

Sounds like the cat is marginal, either because its old or because aftermarket ones skimp on dat pricey platinum/palladium to make them cheap.

Needs to be absolutely roasting to pass the emissions sometimes on an indifferent cat. Some cataclean then 10 minutes giving it some cosh in 2nd and 3rd then put in for emissions. Or failing that find something in the forecourt of the test station that will pass and stick the gas analyser on that instead.