Peugeot 406 - C U L8R 406

beko1987

It's bonus month next month, so this is literally at the wrong time. Plus it'll still cost loads, and I'll still have to fix the other issues.

However Bub may be able to help... Another shiter has sent me a very interesting message

If it's an A2..run away !

My £0.01...

It's a pain in the rear in the short term, but you know the 406 is fundamentally solid. You seem to have been enjoying it as well.

I reckon you'll save yourself time, money and stress in the long run by sorting the 406. They're bloody solid old cars and shouldn't give you trouble once you've sorted the suspension out.

There's nothing to say that you won't have a knocking ball joint turn up on the replacement in a fortnight and be back in exactly the same spot. In fact, the ZX probably has the same wacky fun ball joint arrangement...

This sort of situation is actually why I wound up buying the 107 new back in 2009. It was more a month, but I *knew* how much it was each month, and knew the car would "just work" which was critical for my work at the time.

Any car at this end of the market is a gamble - so cubing one that you know is fundamentally sound but just needing a few minor jobs done and consumables changed seems a rash move to me.

Assume you don't have a friend who could park it off street for a week or two until things ease up a bit?

My £0.01...

It's a pain in the rear in the short term, but you know the 406 is fundamentally solid. You seem to have been enjoying it as well.

I reckon you'll save yourself time, money and stress in the long run by sorting the 406. They're bloody solid old cars and shouldn't give you trouble once you've sorted the suspension out.

There's nothing to say that you won't have a knocking ball joint turn up on the replacement in a fortnight and be back in exactly the same spot. In fact, the ZX probably has the same wacky fun ball joint arrangement...

This sort of situation is actually why I wound up buying the 107 new back in 2009. It was more a month, but I *knew* how much it was each month, and knew the car would "just work" which was critical for my work at the time.

Any car at this end of the market is a gamble - so cubing one that you know is fundamentally sound but just needing a few minor jobs done and consumables changed seems a rash move to me.

Assume you don't have a friend who could park it off street for a week or two until things ease up a bit?

TBH man thats exactly what ive been toying with all weekend, both very drunk and sober...

This is all over a pair of balljoints! Between me and my mate we must have done 30odd in our basic motoring career, their piss easy! Not this one! Because it screws up into the hub, rather than 3 nice rivets or if you lucky and someones done it before 3 bolts and done! We've admitted defeat on this one, and it sucks balls, worst thing about it tbh

But I'm £60 into parts just to rebuild the front end, let alone the other bits. And it would be well sorted, handbrake would still be shit and the headlights still need fixing but yes good, I was fucking well looking forward to shitefest in it

Nowhere to store it offroad. I could use mums driveway for the 4th time but Im not driving it to Marlow, that's why this is a snap choice because I also work in Marlow... I shat my pants driving it 8 miles home at 45mph on the backroads, where we've fucked the joints it's all over the place that the most impressive clonk from the now even more fucked balljoint!

Time - hour every night, could probably have the struts and hubs out in 3/4 nights (dont forget I know we ripped the boots off the track rod end to mole grip the inner and get the nut back on, all rusty as fuck) so it'll be another battle.

And then the easy way out beckons...

I've had ZX's before, I've had a 1.4 before! The drop links are in the wishbone and Daz has had some suspension bits done

The tyres are good but my 15" steels might fit

I can get to work on Wednesday!

Sorry 406, if anyone wants a heroic save I'm banking on scrapping it thurs/fri to pay Mr Daz his money.... but otherwise, I'll go on the rob as much as I can but it's an final drive (with 1/4 a tank of bastard diesel in) to ASM...

Pending a call to the insurance tomorrow to double triple check...

The 406 did enter my life as a winter beater, with MOT until past christmas... And I have fallen for it but now all this has cropped up... I did mean to look for a smoll, petrol car again before the 406 when I was binning off the laguna, but then the 406 came along! Plus 5 months of it doing 45mpg means I'll only get a little bit less in the ZX, and it'll be better on the back road M40's fucked again commute as it'll be geared nicely

It could be saved.... Kiltox is looking for a tip-run estate. This could be the 406s stay of execution...

if he fancies collecting it by Thursday. Then immediately performing a near full front end suspension refresh... Would be grand for that!

I’d mend it. If you are only spending a few hundred quid you probably aren’t going to get something any better.

Something with an mot is better...

I still don't know if it'll fail the emissions, or that there's no rot, or that the back brakes will work well enough etc

Being stood outside school right now is also making me not want to spend every night for the next 2 weeks outside... It's bloody cold!

if he fancies collecting it by Thursday. Then immediately performing a near full front end suspension refresh... Would be grand for that!

Appreciate the thought from both but it wouldn’t be a go-er for me - long drive home with knackered suspension.

Well, Debenhams Car Insurance trading as Elgin consumer finance LTD class a 1997 car as too old.

So their cancelled (handily I was within the 14 day cooling off period so only have some fee's coming my way!)

406 is un-insured as of some time from now...

Billy bonus? Nu_car is £15 a month cheaper to insure and my new policy comes with driving other cars as standard, something i lost with the now cancelled quote.

Marvellous, time to empty the 406

Uninsured? Don’t forget to sorn it!

Insurance runs out tomorrow, i'll know the ZX is deffo working its way down the country and pop over to asm with it.

Also had the offer of a scrap battery in exchange for a service on a Dyson, so I can pick that up tonight on the way back from helping Gareth fit his alternator. No need for a decent spare battery mind but I've never owned a spare battery before, it feels exciting!

Some cars fight you all the way. Hopefully the ZX will be better.

I do feel a little bit bad for not even starting the fight... but I know I would loose/it would cost me a fortune and I'd be 20 miles away from work during it all

I couldnt look it in it's little face as I took the main beam and dipped beam bulbs out of the headlight (and remembered that the whole inside of the drivers side cluster is fully loose and just rolling around! Explains the shit headlights a bit

I kept the boot carpet too, could come in handy. Anyone very close to thame wants some 406 bits come round NOW!

Well, Debenhams Car Insurance trading as Elgin consumer finance LTD class a 1997 car as too old.

So their cancelled (handily I was within the 14 day cooling off period so only have some fee's coming my way!)

406 is un-insured as of some time from now...

Billy bonus? Nu_car is £15 a month cheaper to insure and my new policy comes with driving other cars as standard, something i lost with the now cancelled quote.

Marvellous, time to empty the 406

Fucking insurance pisses me off, I wanted to add the wife to my new SAAB oh no sir they said she needs to have had her License for years - Funny, you covered her on the Picasso on the current policy!!! 

Renewal in August, they can get to shit.

Fucking insurance pisses me off, I wanted to add the wife to my new SAAB oh no sir they said she needs to have had her License for years - Funny, you covered her on the Picasso on the current policy!!! 

Renewal in August, they can get to shit.

I've never had it before! Alarm bells started to ring when she wouldn't take my answer of £300 as the value of the car, so I said a grand and she shut up... Then she asked about the security system! So I boasted about my unique PIN code touchpad* immobiliser and she asked if it was a factory fit...

I was tempted to say I drive a car created in 1996, and still fairly unchanged in 2002 but I couldn't be arsed

Possibly for the best you cant insure me, thanks Sandra from Bangladesh. Amy's still with them, their not too bad, but now we know, not shite friendly