Renault 11 Automatique

RobT

Thanks Ghosty! It's pretty much the same condition as my Metro. Good and original but showing some age, which is exactly how I like them. The one extra thing it might benefit from is the wheels being refurbished. That'll probably just tidy it up enough, with it still retaining the look of unrestored old chod.

That's a gorgeous little car.

Still reckon these have some of the coolest dash warning lights with the whole brightly lit symbol on a dimmer but still coloured background thing going on.

I was fascinated by instrumentation design as a kid (still am) and remember thinking that looked epic the first time I saw it.

I am so glad it went to you Rob, I loved it when I got it but it desperately, desperately, needed a garage. 

Well that's my 11 itch scratched, but it feels odd not having an old Renault outside now. 

Regarding third gear, it seems to go in much better when kickdown is used, but yes, an ATF change would be welcome. Also, I trust you have seen the remarkably easy (well it looked it) belt layout?

Love it. We had a Nine for 13 years so I know these cars fairly well. Very practical, especially in auto form around the badlands of South London.

Renaults seemed to be very popular in Cornwall years ago, whenever we visited they seemed to be everywhere. Must have been a Breton thing.

Mechanically it’s a Five up front so bits and bobs should be a doddle. Tappet clearances are a bit fiddly to do but once you get the hang of it it’s not too bad.

Verdict - win. With additional win points for the colour

The colour is truly intriguing, I think no one has seen an 11 in that shade before, plus it's pretty much about as late a prefacelift you can get...I am sure there is a story behind it but the impression I got is the original owner died. 

Here it is with her by the way, as spotted on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmIeoOSnji5/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Regarding third gear, it seems to go in much better when kickdown is used, but yes, an ATF change would be welcome. Also, I trust you have seen the remarkably easy (well it looked it) belt layout?

Yes it's much better when you put mechanical sympathy aside and hoof it. Belt does indeed look easy, even I should be able to manage that.

Those pics of the dear old gifferette driving are great!

Said when I collected the BMW - my son loved this too........ excellent vehicle.

Honestly, I'd get it out in the fresh air if damp is an issue.... it'll be better off with air circulating around it....... just my 2p

A fellow shiter has kindly offered use of a dehumidifier over the winter, and the main issue I've been meaning to sort for ages is my garage floods during heavy wind and rain. A grate in front of the door should help and will be fitted soon. Only taken me 7 years to get on it...the Metro lives elsewhere in a nice, dry housing association garage.

^^The TXE Electronic was my favourite car at the FOTU this year. I've wanted an 11 for ages and nearly bought a B reg one three years ago. But it was too rough and owned by a feral giffer, so the interior was absolutely rank. Mind you it was cheap.

That is a beautiful car.... the colour is wonderful, really cheerful. And in such good condition too, it would be worth sending some photos to Renault to see if it would be of use for promo stuff as I doubt there's a better condition 11 around. That dash, that courdroy, those seats..... hubba hubba.

(Or given the colour, hubba bubba)