Renault 11 Automatique

RobT

I'm sure I had something similar with the forum bike Xantia at one point and the garage who did the MOT insisted it wasn't a bearing, despite it sounding exactly like it. 

Pretty sure Barrett got it sorted, but I can't quite remember what it was.

No chance it's the tyres I take it? Probably my own dunce opinion but I remember them being reasonably old, with plenty of tread. 

Hey Rob, I found the photos of our old mini with the neighbours 11 lurking in the background.  It was a lovely looking thing, the colour was really nice and suited the car well. I think it got written off by a prancing deer late one night. Neither the car nor the deer were a pretty sight. I reckon these pix must have been taken in about 1989/90 so our mini was about 7 yrs old by then but still immaculate. Sorry they're a bit obscured but on the up side there's also a bonus Audi 200 lurking in a couple of them. 

256290828_Scan16copy.thumb.jpg.2e97c802dd86c15e06dadc4ae1b7cfa7.jpg

697456383_Scan17copy.thumb.jpg.26622e58331b2a04b29d6663be50c44d.jpg

1816963475_Scan17.thumb.jpg.3e9ba0d7b7cf2b4a44f4dc40348ad75e.jpg

600624466_Scan19.thumb.jpg.7b190d61f6c40d16e033591732e76d2a.jpg

That 11 looks swish, nice wheels on it too.  The Mini doesn't look bad either.

28 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

No chance it's the tyres I take it? Probably my own dunce opinion but I remember them being reasonably old, with plenty of tread. 

I think the tyres are about five years old, quality Debica items.  That could be a cheap fix, so I'll do some swappage and see if that helps.

7 hours ago, bramz7 said:

Pretty sure Barrett got it sorted, but I can't quite remember what it was.

Sticky caliper in the end, which is why it wasn't a constant drone but changed with speed/road conditions as it became less or more stuck. I was always told a wheel bearing was easy to spot as the speed of the noise increased with the road speed, which has always been the case in my experience. 

• 5 weeks later...

After all the angst of me wondering WTF the mystery noise was (documented above), a session of hard driving a few weeks back seems to have cured it.  Or it just decided to heal itself.  Either way I'll take that.

So on the 140 mile round trip to the FOTU last Saturday I repeatedly nailed it, and hurled the old girl around bends and roundabouts. I've probably been overdoing the mechanical sympathy, and I'm not shy of chucking the Metro about so may as well do the same with this.

Renault corner at the FoD.

20190720_192841.thumb.jpg.86d5192fd159ed63379ba93c78650253.jpg

On Thursday when it was fuggin hot and humid I was curious to see if it'd cope.  Early evening it was still 36 degrees here but no ill effects, ran just the same with no weird stuff going on, and the radiator fan only had to kick in a few times.  But I suppose these happily bombed around a searingly hot Provence back in the day...

20190725_210457.thumb.jpg.ac64398ae8c2908816312fc83dbf2fa4.jpg

This pic doesn't do the sky justice.  It absolutely pissed down soon after! 

I've long admired the early 11s - and yours is a great example. I looked for one around 2000, but picked a 19 'energy' instead, In those days Renaults seemed far superior to the equivalent ford/GM stuff. How does it drive compared with the 19? I always imagined they would handle like a big 5.

Loved seeing the zircon blue mayfair too. One exactly like that was my first car back in 1997 - though mine was a bit crunchier!

I'll let Rob add his own thoughts but I found the 11 softer on the rough stuff but perhaps not quite as good on really windy bends. 

However the steering weight and feel is much more agreeable on an 11 without PAS than it is a 19. 

It'll nearly be a year since I bought that 11 from Cornwall on a red hot day. It coped fine then too. 

Maybe you should keep it now. 

What bramz says, although I do prefer the lean you get on the 11, purely for the amusement factor.  The 19 felt very different, less charm but I liked the Energy engine.  More refined than the old Cleon-Fonte as you'd expect really being a new improved version at the time.

I'm yet to drive or even sit in a 5, but I imagine it would feel a touch more flimsy yet nimble with it.  That's a total guess based on the way they look to me.

The 11 doesn't have any broken trim either, and does feel well put together, relatively speaking!

The 11 I had (in 1.2 litre form - we were sure it was at least 1.5 until we got the V5 given how well it went) could maintain surprising speed in the bends despite the almost 2CV-like levels of body roll.

It's still up there I think among the top cars I've had from the perspective of just being an all round nice thing to drive.  Just a shame it was an utter pig to find parts for.

It's astonishing the number of automotive maladies just putting some miles on a car can fix sometimes...

My 5 used to eat front wheel bearings (it had 15" R19 16v wheels on it), I also had problems with the sliders in the calipers sticking, but that wouldn't cause what you describe. It was a hoot to chuck about, and is much missed. Didn't realise the 11 was just a bigger version essentially.

Even with the stiffer springs and "sports" dampers my GTA is remarkably compliant yet handles the road well. I think a good portion of that has to do with the torsional stiffness of the body, which is remarkably good for a shopping trolley.

The 2.0 is a fun upgrade.

Phil

Glancing at the AS calendar this morning reminded me it's been a year since I collected this from bramz.

20191024_084512.thumb.jpg.65606d9d428b6a94d8c76a1a1fb92de4.jpg

Despite a few wobbles it's still here, 1,500 miles on.  My hope now is I can use it all winter and do more miles.  Depends if the car agrees I suppose.  Only one way to find out...

As it stands at the moment it's the only fleet member I'd trust to complete a long journey.  How worrying is that.

A few bits, as always.

-New steering rack, as I suspect that's the grumbling noises.  A job for the warmer weather.

-Valve clearances as it sounds a bit tappy.

-Try to improve the cold starting.  It's a dark art and involves pumping the throttle loads, stalling at least once, then leaving it to idle for a short while, revving its nuts off on choke.

I'm saying nowt else in case I jinx it!

2 hours ago, RobT said:

A few bits, as always.

-New steering rack, as I suspect that's the grumbling noises.  A job for the warmer weather.

-Valve clearances as it sounds a bit tappy.

-Try to improve the cold starting.  It's a dark art and involves pumping the throttle loads, stalling at least once, then leaving it to idle for a short while, revving its nuts off on choke.

I'm saying nowt else in case I jinx it!

Do Renault 11s have different steering racks for automatic and manual cars?  I had that issue when I bought a Mk1 5 auto with massive play in the steering - auto rack was completely different and completely unobtainium.  That and the 'box shitting itself and getting stuck in 3rd led to me weighing the thing in.

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

Do Renault 11s have different steering racks for automatic and manual cars?

Not sure tbh wuv.  The one I bought looked right, no mention of manual only in the listing either.  I'll find out soon enough.

Here's a job I should have done ages ago - valve clearances.  The 11 has always sounded a bit tappety, but there was also a more concerning heavy knock going on.

So on Saturday I took all the relevant bits off for access and took my time.  I figured it's that sort of job, and wanted to double check things anyway.

20200307_142044.thumb.jpg.c87c0a47ae1d85e062547222e98c51ee.jpg

Looks alright in there I think, not that I'd know.  I didn't have a spanner small enough for the adjustor, so had to make do with this cumbersome set up.

20200307_162707.thumb.jpg.59e0a814574269b0ae8adfe48bc754b2.jpg

The number 1 valve rocker arm in the pic was baggy as anything (relatively speaking), whereas most of the others were too tight.  But I went back and checked again to make sure I did them with the opposing valve fully open, as I'm not sure they were for the first few.  Learning curve innit.

Reassembled I winced slightly when starting her up (have I made it worse?), but no the complete opposite.  It idles more evenly and is a much smoother drive.  It had a tendency to bog down and stall sometimes until warm, but it sounds much more healthy now and the worrying knock has gone.  As usual I should have done this job ages ago, but whatever.

Went for a drive, locally first just to be sure, and 1986 happened.

20200307_174817.thumb.jpg.58cf64be8a9101ea5c3dc9848ad1264c.jpg

The Merc is a daily driver as I also saw it at the pez station the day before.  Bits of trim missing and flat paint in places, marvellous.

Next job will be the steering rack, as I'm sure it shouldn't be this laborious and stiff (also sounds a bit grumbly up front which could be related).  New ball joints didn't cure the latter.  My reference point, rightly or wrongly, is Cleon Fonte's Renault 4, which has lovely light steering after having driven it at Chumley last year.  I've got the part, 50 quid IIRC.  Just need some decent weather.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I know I was used to Metros and Novas at the time, but I recall the steering on my R11 being quite a bit heavier than on the other cars I was used to.

Fair bit more torsional rigidity to the R11/9 shell, comes from a fair bit more metal up front. Consider in the space Renault managed to squeeze in a 2 litre engine and still have room for things like air conditioning. Power steering definitely helps in mine, not sure how heavy the C series compares to the F engines.

Phil

On 7/27/2019 at 5:14 PM, Zelandeth said:

The 11 I had (in 1.2 litre form - we were sure it was at least 1.5 until we got the V5 given how well it went) could maintain surprising speed in the bends despite the almost 2CV-like levels of body roll.

It's still up there I think among the top cars I've had from the perspective of just being an all round nice thing to drive.  Just a shame it was an utter pig to find parts for.

It's astonishing the number of automotive maladies just putting some miles on a car can fix sometimes...

1.2? Would that make it the holy grail GTC spec with the C1G from the R12? Only ever seen 1 on my whole life.