Renault 11 Automatique

RobT

Today I changed the automatic 'box fluid.

post-5013-0-54001100-1545861930_thumb.jpg

The old stuff looked like a full bodied Côtes du Rhône, with the new resembling Benelyn.  Total capacity is 4.5 litres but only 2 comes out when doing a change, so I'll do another one in January when I get some more Renaultmatic.  I'll also replace the sump washers next time as one of the plugs has a slight leak now.

There's a noticeable improvement when engaging R and D (previously there was some slight shunt), and first to second is a lot smoother too.  Shifting to top is still a tad jerky, but TADTS apparently.

I've also been looking at random R11 pics on the internet.  Check out these wheels!

post-5013-0-73250400-1545862987_thumb.jpg

I want yellow lights

post-5013-0-21138700-1545863016_thumb.jpg

Today I changed the automatic 'box fluid.

attachicon.gif20181226_190047.jpg

The old stuff looked like a full bodied Côtes du Rhône, with the new resembling Benelyn.  Total capacity is 4.5 litres but only 2 comes out when doing a change, so I'll do another one in January when I get some more Renaultmatic.  I'll also replace the sump washers next time as one of the plugs has a slight leak now....

If I'd had the Pela-type pump, I might have discovered the burnt fluid sooner. Instead I got weird readings on the dipstick.

• 3 months later...

Since the new year I've been pottering about in this, using it for trips to Sainsburys and local spotting missions etc.  3 miles from home I happened upon this little sauce pot.

post-5013-0-98761100-1554845973_thumb.jpg

Dents, mis-matched panels, one odd wheel.  It's got the lot.  Long may it live amongst the sea of bland moderns.

So I thought the 11 was proving reliable enough to take on a motorway run to a car show.  But no.  The noise that I thought I'd fixed has come back (a sort of whirring/whining noise) which I'm assuming is the front NS wheel bearing.  It's pretty awful but only evident over 30mph and stops when turning left, which in my expert* opinion point to the NS as it's not under load.  It drove home OK without killing me, albeit I spent most of the 40 minute journey wincing  I've now swapped it with the Metro and left it in my other lock up until I can be arsed/afford to get it fixed.

post-5013-0-44103400-1554845570_thumb.jpg

Sorry, not much of an update is it.  However, 6 months in after buying the 11 from bramz it feels very much part of the family.  I can see this staying with me forever (or until the automatic gearbox fucks itself).  I like to think I'll be the longer lived....

^^Yes, absolutely.  Its charms win me over every time!

Glad to hear all is (mostly) ok Rob, you’d gone a bit quiet there for a while.

The mood on the forum was putting me off being here to be honest, but it seems to have calmed down for now.  I'll just focus on the shite and ignore all the other goings on in future.

• 2 months later...

^^Well, the above were optimistic words.  It's late June and I'm still none the wiser as to the mysterious noise.

My mechanic doesn't think it's a bearing, so I'm looking for ideas now.  Around town it's not there, but as soon as I do 5 miles or so at 55-60mph it starts up.  A sort of whirring vibrato sound that eases off over crests and under heavy acceleration, so load is playing a factor there, and feels like it's coming from the middle of the car.  But that could obviously be noise transmitted along the driveshaft or something.

Trouble is, I could quite easily waste money replacing wheel bearings or simply paying for diagnosis, to end up with a big repair bill anyway.  What to do...in the meantime all I'm using it for is local trips, which is slightly frustrating as I want to do more than just go to the shops in it.

On a lighter note, I was next to this 19 on the HubNut stand at the Bromley Pageant.  A GTS-X no less!

20190623_134724.thumb.jpg.084a9374a632dcaf79927fcb99c98198.jpg

59 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Not like an exhaust that heats up and resonates? Acel / crests could alter the angle of the pipe?

Hasn't thought of that, will see if anything is loose or close to touching.

54 minutes ago, skattrd said:

Gearbox? Maybe change fluid? 

Done the fluid, twice.  Warning light isn't on and no change in operation at speed, so I'm hoping it's not that.

Exhaust on these is very basic if I remember right, just a totally straight pipe with only one box at the back (on the 1.2 it is anyway - mine at least had a lovely exhaust note too).

Given it's load and suspension load dependant my votes would be:

Diff. Is there a separate oil supply for the diff to the gearbox itself?  Easily missed if so.

Exhaust.  Something touching, rubber mounts turned to plastic, missing/incorrect rubber mounts, cheap modern repro exhaust that's not the right shape etc...exhausts are a pain.

CV joint (they all got decent grease in?).

Something touching a wheel or driveshaft.

Definitely would be worthwhile getting someone else to drive the car though and see if you can pin down better where it's coming from.

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Diff. Is there a separate oil supply for the diff to the gearbox itself?  Easily missed if so.

CV joint (they all got decent grease in?).

Something touching a wheel or driveshaft.

Not sure on the diff, and CV joints are all nicely gaitered up with no leaks.  Something tells me it could be driveshaft related, but like you say I need to get someone else to drive the car and they may know exactly what it is.  As always, time is a problem (busy with work at the moment) and a couple of places I've contacted haven't been back in touch.  I need to follow that up.

So FOTU is looking doubtful.  If it were closer I'd risk it, but without knowing the issue I think driving it 100 odd miles is a bit reckless.