Cheap to insure chod for 17 year old?

garethj

The eldest lad turns 17 soon and lots of his friends are just turning 17 now. While their first thoughts might be the new iPhone, I’m quite pleased that they want to learn to drive.

Obviously there are parents who will be buying new cars for their children however my bank manager insists on more modest vehicles in our family. What’s available to the average ‘shiter that’s cheap to insure aged 17?

The rule of thumb seems to be that a Corsa or Fiesta is about £1400 - £1500 as long as it’s got a little engine. I had an idea about a Peugeot 205 or 106 but they’re all £1800 and a Triumph Spitfire is well over 2 grand.

Lowest score at the moment is a Daihatsu Cuore with its 3 cylinder engine of just under 1 litre it makes you into a tarmac terrorist with 55bhp and the 3 door looks as cute as an old Mini. £1200 to insure, for comparison.

Any ideas?

Thought it was usually a bit cheaper while they're learning and then goes up once they're allowed to drive on their own, is that not still the case?

Vehicle wise though I guess anything with an engine under 1 litre and an age over 10 years should be a reasonable option.

Rover 200/400s in the R8 shape (89 to 95) are normally very reasonable to insure for younger drivers (in relation to other vehicles).

When I was looking, for some reason a 1.6 was cheaper to insure than the smaller 1.4 engines, despite being more powerful, but that is the logic* of the insurance industry.

It might also be worth running RobT's Renault 19 (which is for sale on here) through a comparison site too. The small engine and the lack of 17 year olds running around in them could yield a lower quote than you would receive for a Fiesta or Corsa.

Having been through this recently enough with both my girls then for learning practice use this:

https://www.veygo.com/learner-driver-insurance/

You insure your amazing child on their own policy on an already insured vehicle ( I should get commission how much I recommend) then after passing both had Clio's.

With them being not male it might change the numbers but £1,000 is cheap and both were at that (just) and both were with Admiral ( which Veygo is also) 

Comparison sites were more expensive than direct and I couldn't find cheaper and Drum went Admiral after my recommendation for his daughter after she passed.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to insurance...so many factors affect the premium. But i think the cheapest way for a youngster is to have a brand new small engined car. Safety features on the car is what insurance like when the driver is inexperienced...that and the black box. Oldest daughter (21yo 1year ncb) just changed from 2016 fiat 500 to a 2018 Abarth 595...twice the power in basically same car....same premium! Thats probably no help at all...but a bit of insight into the crazy world of being shafted by insurers

Having been through this recently enough with both my girls then for learning practice use this:

You insure your amazing child on their own policy on an already insured vehicle ( I should get commission how much I recommend) then after passing both had Clio's.

With them being not male it might change the numbers but £1,000 is cheap and both were at that (just) and both were with Admiral ( which Veygo is also) 

Comparison sites were more expensive than direct and I couldn't find cheaper and Drum went Admiral after my recommendation for his daughter after she passed.

ooh as someone who has only a provisional licence and is looking for day insurance this looks to be exactly what im looking for, thanks for sharing :)

ill scope it out some more and if it turns out to be what i need and works out well ill report so back :)

In my 2.5 years of driving and far too many cars, the cheapest to insure yet has been the 2.5l pez 850. I'm insured on a friend's 1.4 clio "track project" and it was roughly the same price no matter which way round the names were weirdly, he's 19 and has only been driving a year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Marmalade provisional insurance. Any car as long as it it comprehensively insured by parents. Iirc 300 quid for 3 months.

Adding a 17 year old female to her mother's policy WHEN she had passed cost an extra £2200 on a Bini Cooper for 11 months.

Will it bollocks*. That ended in 2012.

*https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017/jan/14/eu-gender-ruling-car-insurance-inequality-worse

However, considering the above, do a burds job, drive a burds motah, etc.

AH careful use of statistics.

Money saving expert has a job picker.

I put my eldest into a Clio van when he was 17, van insurance was 750 whilst he was learning and went up to 1100 when he passed. I put windows in the side to give him good visibility and it looked like a car, even if he could only take one passenger.

Once he’d been driving a couple of years we got a Pug 207 1.4, which has been reasonable.

Going into a van isn’t for everyone but in terms of low insurance it’s worth considering.

As others have said, there doesn't seem to be much logic, just keep trying different cars through the comparison sites. We discovered that a 1.0 Arosa was about 25% less to insure than a 1.0 Lupo of exactly the same age and value.

That Arosa was great and my two youngest both had it as a first car . The older two had a 1.2 Corsa and Renault 5 Campus, all girls so a lot cheaper anyway, especially when getting second cars at 18 with 12 months NCB; 316 Compact, MX5, Eunos and Fiat 500 all cheaper than first car to cover. Boys we know couldnt get cover on anything above 1.2 until they're 20.

I had this very issue earlier this year with my grandson

and the absolute winnah was............... a K11 micra 1.0 S. Its base spec in the extreme, over £250 less than anything else we tried and we did try a LOT

And the big bonus is his mates think its well cool so all is well  :-D

insured with RAC and of course with a complimentary black box 

plenty of them around and cheap enough to pick up a decent  one 

He loves it and the bits and pieces for servicing are cheap as chips and easy to get so no nasty surprises due anytime soon

There are still a few models to be found that are cheaper than expected to insure. Have a look at Pug 306s: For some reason they were always cheaper to insure than equivalent similar-size and similar power cars (even the ZX, ridiculously) and so you may find a bargain price. Finding an undesireable model that statistically isn't crashed by every 17 year old is still viable.

I taught a friends son to drive about 10 years ago, and he discovered that he could insure a Jag XJ V12 for the same as a Corsa. So he bought one. Didn't do a lot of miles, so the fuel consumption wasn't a big issue.

As daft as it sounds I've always found larger cars like my 406 and Vectra cheaper to insure than the Punto and Corsa I had. Focus was silly expensive as we're every Renault I've owned. 1 of the Cheapest one I had was the A4 TDI. Maybe look at Cavs,Vectra b,early 406 and the A4? Admittedly I was 27 when I passed. The proton is the cheapest to insure though.

Cheapest for me as a young driver was, and I realise this doesn't really count as chod, a b6 VW Passat Estate Highline in the 1.9tdi flavour. A policy with not a huge amount of miles and a black box was sub £1k for me at least.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk