robinmasters

Robinmasters' 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD VSX

Given the time of day, no gratuitous breakfast shot. I did pack a cheese sandwich; if you want to know what it looks like, imagine a cheese sandwich-just like that. 

No clues beyond post-1990, so those of you of a sensitive disposition may wish to turn away now.

Yes, HARD CORE. Just got home. Work tomorrow. Took my usually collection kit of no tools and no breakdown cover, and remain in denial about my USB adapter not working in nearly any car, so sat nav could only be used for the tricky bits. 

We all know what chevrons on the bonnet mean? Yes, it's a sinker. Not content with simply having excellent suspension, when parked it 'lays frame' as our transatlantic friends say, to show it off. 

Purchased from a Facebook-only shiter, Lewis. He's the one that's into 106s, if you're a member of the main group on there (I'm not, just the shite for sale group). In Birmingham. In the dark.

It's a good one. 58k, no rust (hardly any) in the two critical areas. Suspensions a bit lazy, but it sorts itself out fairly quickly if you select high then go back down to normal-possibly a sticky height corrector? The LHM probably needs changing. The central locking unlocks immediately after locking-seems to be the driver's door solenoid. Needs front pads, and a handbrake cable. There is an intermittent problem with one rear window (switch or wiring probably). Now I've written that down is seems like a long list, but it's nothing serious, nothing beyond my capabilities and all fairly cheap. 

VSX is fairly high-spec, so electric windows all round, electric mirrors, and a big sunroof. Velour interior (an interesting pattern, I'll post pics soonish), without any significant wear to the driver's bolster. Pompe Bosch. It goes well, as my journey home proved. 200 miles of easy, rapid, progress. It's a sort of emerald green, which I don't remember having seen before; again, pics to follow-I haven't seen it in the sunlight yet, but I imagine it really looks good (apart from the dodgy lacquer on the boot lid.

All in all, very pleased with it. I will post further pictures when it's daylight and I've caught up on my sleep, and will try and find pics of my previous Xantias (this is the fourth one, I think). 

i remeber driving my mates one, was very nice until the pas starting to play up and needed arms like arnie to steer it, couldnt fix it, no matter what we did, it got scrapped, then when in scrapyard a bloke not scrapyard owner say oh yeah theres a filter inside that get blocked and causes the pas to fail..grr

Nice purchase. Sounds like with some minor* fettling, it should shape up to be a solid runner. On mine I like to spray the suspension height corrector regularly with Plusgas and do some Citrobatics once a week or so. This seems to keep it happy.

TD VSX sinkers must be in single figures in this country. Does it have the green interior? The second best interior on a Xant after the early tweedy LX seats. The mid spec velour jobs really aren't that great.

I would like to express a serious intention of DIBS when you decide to move this one on, please

Looking forward to hearing more, early Xantias were built extremely well. I smoked about in an brown L-reg 1.9D with tweed seats for a while, it felt stronger than a Benz 124 (and nearly as slow as their four pot diesels).

Hydractives can be a bit sharp and wooden on English roadsbut they're extraordinarily capable at higher speeds on A and B roads. Using XM centre spheres can improve matters no end, as can slightly larger volume corner ones.

Quick bit of background; this is my fourth (I was convinced the last one was the fourth, but I think I've made that up). 

The first was a 1.8 pezzer (SX I think).  Shortly after buying it I saw some BX GTi alloys on eBay, near my father in law, so had a bid.  I was the only bidder, and got them for ~£20.  The bloke had restored his BX GTi, then immediately bent it, so the wheels were as new and the tyres had only a couple of hundred miles on.  This had the usual problems - the heater failed due to Citroen's omission of a relay between the ignition switch and the huge draw of the heater/blower - I bypassed it with one of those orange mains connectors you get on lawnmowers etc.  The drivers window fell down - they're held in by a single plastic clip thing.  I played cambelt roulette, and lost. 

post-5742-0-15293300-1541459244_thumb.jpg

Many years later I got a series 2 estate.  HDi, silver, many, many miles.  It was very baggy, leaked LHM, and I didn't keep it long; nor did i take any pictures. 

The third was a 2.1TD estate, in doom blue.  The best so far, despite the rustier-than-I-thought-they-were rear arches.  It also leaked LHM.  Copiously.  Died when a bit of loom wore through the auxiliary belt, and I had a proper look at it-at this point I noticed the frilly arches and the impending MOT, and got rid. 

post-5742-0-18324500-1541459642_thumb.png

The current one had an FTP today.  Clutch pedal clip (TADTS).  I had to get a bus!  Local Citroen dealer should have one (and a spare) for me by tomorrow.  Fitting is generally considered a massive ball-ache. 

The seller told me that he'd replaced it recently; having seen some of the other bodgery on the car (more on that in a future post) I suspect the early failure of the new part may be down to fitting, rather than a problem somewhere else; the clutch cable looks relatively new. 

Only recollection I have of doing the clutch clip on these is I removed the drivers seat completely and then used a crowbar to lever a pedal out, bolt goes through the wrong way on RHD but would be a dream on a LHD

That mk1 Xantia on BX alloys looks ace! Those wheels really suited it!

Damn it, you have me having covetous thoughts again. I had a mk2 HDi for a year and a half, it wasn't particularly fast, but once it got going it covered ground effortlessly.

I kind of want another XUD-powered car (my first car was a Peugeot 306 TD), and I've been bitten by the LHM bug...

I've had a bad day.

I think I've already mentioned the issues with the central locking; it 'bounces'. Locks then immediately unlocks. I took apart the drivers side, snapped part of the the handle. Today, I tried fitting the new the handle; the connecting rods will not stay connected. I've had the handle and lock in and out as many times as the proverbial.

I've also got the ropey clutch to deal with (still a click on the clutch, and it's quite heavy),

I might sell this.

Lovely, would.

Sinkers are super rare now.

I was lucky enough to not have had the clutch clip fail on my xud. But I seem to remember there being a place that sold a metal replacement, I'll try and dig out the info on that. Sadly, when the clutch gets that heavy its time for a replacement clutch.

Dodgy locks could well be wiring between door and body. That's what happens on 306d at any rate. 

Exactly what was happening on my 306, I just unplugged the central locking control module under the back to seat, stops them all immediately unlocking.

This is now for sale.

I've realised I simply don't have the enthusiasm/time/space/money to look after this properly.

I haven't managed to fix the driver's door, the rod keeps jumping off the clip that hole it into the latch mechanism. All the parts are there.

The click on the clutch pedal seems to have gone away; must have been the clip bedding in, rather than the cable ad I had feared. Comes with a new clutch cable which is bought as a precaution, and another clutch clip.

I think the LHM filter needs changing-is a bit slow to rise. It also need a handbrake cable.

This is a VSX-relatively rare now-which means it has hydractive suspension (variable damping and switchable sports mode). Also has electric windows, mirrors and sunroof, and a rear sun blind.

I want what I paid for it, £600. I'm in Folkestone, Kent.

Form an orderly queue!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BeEP
      I’ve been meaning to start a thread about my cars since I started posting on here, but never quite got round to it. Until now.  Although a number have appeared in odd posts across other threads I’ll try to collate updates, comings and goings in here from now on.  Even if no-one else is interested it will serve as a record of what I’ve been wasting my time on.

My cars, with one exception, fall into two camps.  There are five BL/Rover products, all of which come March I will have owned for 10 years or more.  In order of acquisition:

1964 Austin 1100.  Bought in 2005 for £950, which remains the most I’ve spent on a car!  Fitted with MG1100 engine and uprated cam,  Continuously MOT’d and in light use during my ownership.

1972 Austin 1800 automatic, bought in 2006.  A Bristol car all its life (I lived there from 96-09), it was originally Wild Moss but resprayed (I believe by the original dealer) Mallard green, as it was seriously old stock at the time.  Had hand controls from new as the first owner was paralysed, it retains all the under-bonnet gubbins for this, with the battery moved to the boot.  Off road since 2010 awaiting an engine rebuild.

1973 Austin 1100 2 door deluxe (just like SiC’s).  Rescued in 2006 from long term storage in a hanger at Bristol airport.  Limeflower with matching interior.  My everyday car from 2007 to 2010, and at various times since.  Needs bodywork, and the suspension celebrated obtaining its last MOT in 2017 by popping a pipe over the rear subframe a day later!

1990 Maestro diesel van.  Ex South Western Electricity Board (hence the orange colour).  Bought in 2009 to help with move from Bristol to Norfolk, it was my main transport for most of the time from 2010-16, when it finally produced a MOT failure list which needed proper attention.  New sills, wheelarches and floor sections later it’s now solid underneath, and waiting for similar attention on top.  MOTd but rarely used.

1975 Austin Allegro 1300 estate (series 1).  Bought in March 2009 from its sole previous owner and used until the MOT ran out that August.  Slumbered until 2015 when much bodywork was done and has been back on the road since early 2016, averaging  a couple of thousand miles per year.

Now for the past few years I’ve rotated my everyday car fairly frequently (by which I mean every couple of months or so); however last April I stumbled across my 1996 Punto 55SX.  It’s got under my skin and is going nowhere, although it might have the odd month off whilst I try something else

So that’s my basic fleet, but since deciding that 20 years working in the defence industry, with 4 hours per day commuting for the last seven of those was quite enough I’ve bought and sold the odd car to make a bit of money.  My criteria are that they must be something which interests me, or cheap and local!  Some have been seen or even sold on here (V70 T5 last year for example) but at the end of 2018 my sales stock was precisely zero.  Something had to be done.  Last Wednesday this arrived (as seen in News24 thread):

1997 Punto 60S.  Needs a wheel cylinder for MOT but really needs the clutch release bearing replacing (and possibly the operating arm) before it’s sellable.  A friend has offered to help with this as I’ve never split an end-on gearbox before (I refer you to my collection of gearbox in sump cars above, which I am quite happy to take apart).

Then on Friday this appeared:

Vovlo 850 2.5 20v automatic in top of the range CD spec.  Cheap as the electric front seat was supposed not to work (the movement part, not the heater).  As the battery was flat on arrival I charged that before playing with it, and the seat works perfectly! There was a problem as someone's had the switch pack off before, so maybe disconnecting the battery resets the memory box through which it all works.  I'm sure one of our more learned Volvo brethren will be along shortly with an explanation.   Once I’d cleaned copious amounts of seagull poo off it I found a very nice car with an incredibly sweet sounding engine.  MOTd to November, I’d planned to have a bit of fun with this but a family member’s phase 2 V70 died spectacularly last week so she will be taking ownership next Monday

And to bring us up to date this morning I brought this home:

Very local and very cheap, owned by a 95 year old lady who gave up driving last year.  It’s a 1.2 SXi semi-auto thing; I can’t see it needing much for a MOT which will occur the week after next.  Just need to find a battery that will fit in the stupid under-scuttle location as I’m not buying a new one before the MOT result is known!

Have a final pic of the three shades of blue together

Apologies for such a lengthy post; I will try to update as cars come, go or are put up for sale, and if I get time I’ll add photos of some of the many BL vehicles I’ve owned (although being a luddite means I don’t have digital photos of the majority).
    • By NorthernMonkey
      I’m not sure if there’d be much interest in a roffle for a topless mills o’matic swede at this time of year but before I stick it down at the barn for winter, I thought I’d mention it on here...
      Its a 2006 9-3 1.8t with just under 90k miles and a good service history. It has been Mrs NMs summer chariot of choice but has now been stood down by a Berlingo diesel...the backup plan is to park it up over winter before prepping it up for sale in the spring where it would get advertised for its market value but due to the impending arrival of another toy, if someone on here wants to win it for the frankly ludicrous sum of £12.00, then step right up!!
      Good bits...
      All electrics, roof etc in good order, decent tires all round, plenty of MOT, working air con, polishes up nicely, will come with new discs and pads on the front.
      Not so good bits...
      Silly tax bracket so £48 a month to tax, occasional lambda fault which pops on EML....will reset and stay off for a month or two, slight bit of pogweasleing on the n/s front bumper where it’s had a smart repair in the past.
      Only got a few pictures to hand at the minute but if there’s any interest, I’ll stick some more up in the next day or so.
      Roffle tickets as it is are £12 each or two for £20 and the car is located near Burnley, Lancashire.
      Form an orderly queue.... 🙂

• By bangernomics
      Roffle is go.  
      1 for £16 or 2 for £30.
      4 SamR380
      7 Jollyfkr2
      12 AstonMartin
      15 Primeradoner
      18 Doug
      22 Loserone
      25 Mitsisigma01
      26 BlackBoilerSuit
      28 Barefoot
      30 DozeyDustman
      33 Doug (Aston Martin)
      37 DaveQ
      38 Norbert
      42 Doug (AstonMartin)
      43 Jollyfkr2
      46 Aston Martin
      47 Loserone
      48 Primeradoner
      51 BlackBoilerSuit
      55 StrangeAngel

Choice of top boxes either the white old one or the massive modern one for Uber eats work.

• By dozeydustman
      Just about an hour ago I went to start my car up, had Mrs Dustman with me, to go and pick Miss Dustman up from work. Turned over fine but took a while to fire up.

Steering felt heavy. Thought maybe as it's currently -5 + wind chill it's just cold & the fluid is thick.

Started reversing out my bay then I was greeted with:
      "DING DONG" - ABS fault.
      "DING DONG" - ESP fault
      "DING DONG" - headlamp auto levelling not working, contact service.

I shut the car down straight away and we went in Mrs D's Corolla.

Alternator is less than 2 months old, it's a recon unit from Alternator Man in Portsmouth. Hoping the cold isn't killing the battery and it's taking the 'nator out with it (battery passed the drop test last time the no-charge warning came up). Looks like a session with the multimeter after work tomorrow.....

MEH.
    • By TheDoctor
      Going to roffle for a fiver a ticket, two for £8, 3 for £11
      In good working order apart from the head gasket. 
      Put the ventilated header tank cap on, take it easy and bring spare water and you will be able to drive it home. 

It doesn't overheat, just pressure in the cooling system. Cylinder compression is good. 
      MOT April 2020