Top Deck

Joloke

I have to admit, I'm fully guilty of thinking about a classic car as an investment.

At the moment, I'm looking to sell off a considering chunk of my chod collection and consolidate it into a single usable, enjoyable classic, that I can take to local shows, and enjoy on high days and holidays, stretch its legs on runs to see family and friends across the country, and probably do the odd European road jaunt in too.

Granted, I won't be putting my "investment" into secure storage and not using it, but it won't be used daily either and will be well looked after and probably cleaned regularly using a bit more than a jetwash and a spritz of glass cleaner on the windows, as I'd want to retain the value of the vehicle throughout my ownership.  This would also probably mean I don't use it in all weathers.

I don't want to buy a car I'm going to drop a load of value from, however my criteria is also that it's a car I WILL enjoy owning and using.  So I'm not just buying anything I fancy regardless.

The days when you could buy a 50's car for a few hundred. If you want to be transported back to the 70's heyday of the interesting everyday 'classic' run by the interesting everyday owner these are a lovely read. Not very technical and just plain wrong in some respects but still very sweet. Any one know what became of Bruce Hudson? He was not a professional motoring writer, more an artist - some examples of his great stuff in the books. I bought one of these books new in 1975 - simpler days and cheap cars. You need to add 2 or 3 noughts to the prices of some now. At the time old cars were just seen as cheap wheels with a bit of character but were shunned by most people. The books emphasis was on using the cars - not a mention of 'showing' them.

post-20142-0-74888300-1540200821_thumb.jpg

post-20142-0-86910700-1540200839_thumb.jpg

Before I began pissing about with you lot on here - in the days that have become known as 'pre shite' we used to run a 944 & a T2 as daily's with a 1303 hidden away in the garage for special days out/an investment. 

Now post shite, the 1303 is still in the garage, the 944 & the T2 have been rebuilt & repainted and are both insured agreed value & only run in the summer months & we drive a Vel Satis, an XJ8 & a Scirocco. All of which are a little tatty, well lived in & will never have a fortune spent on them.

The fair wife & I are both that character in an old/interesting motor.

I very much enjoy daily driving a classic car.

People chat with you in car parks and in petrol stations, they wave and smile when you drive past, it gives me such a good feeling.

So what if it uses a lot of petrol, occasionally fails to proceed and makes you look a bit of a tit. I would rather walk than own a modern car.

My Jag does everything I need of a car, it gets me from A to B whilst I recline in sublime comfort looking over my long bonnet and burl walnut dashboard listening to cassette tapes and that unique noise you get from an unnecessarily large straight six.

The old car movement does exist - look at this forum. However, it's all to do with time and place. What was old interesting motoring when I was a teenager - we are talking 1960s/70s cars in the 1990s - are now positively ancient. The equivalent cars now are 1990s - 2000s which still are new cars to me.

However, the really interesting characters I experienced when 17-24 (1990-1997) were the last of those that fought in the WW11 who were in their late 60s upwards. I was lucky enough to be able to use my Mum's 1966 Rover P5 (this was from 1990) on a regular basis and also went to club meetings. It had these people in spades. It sounds a cliché, but they were a different breed. Not that it was really talked about, but it was just the approach to life. Basically, they just got on with things.

I love old cars but I also love zero faults. They drive me crazy if there is something wrong! Show's: been to loads as a viewer but only ever shown once - Metro 1.0 - and was appalled at some of the comments about it from 'enthusiasts' so I never did it again and only been to one show since. It seems, if it is not an exotic/semi-exotic/old Ford then it is just shit and not worthy of showing.

I do look on the Jaguar as an investment, its worth quite a bit but I'd like to use it, but I am struggling to bond with it as it's various electrical faults are being... problematic and I can't/won't use it until they are all fixed. I love the MB, it's worth sweet f.a. but I like it and will use it until I lose interest.#

#watch me sell it next week :) 

I very much enjoy daily driving a classic car.

People chat with you in car parks and in petrol stations, they wave and smile when you drive past, it gives me such a good feeling.

So what if it uses a lot of petrol, occasionally fails to proceed and makes you look a bit of a tit. I would rather walk than own a modern car.

My Jag does everything I need of a car, it gets me from A to B whilst I recline in sublime comfort looking over my long bonnet and burl walnut dashboard listening to cassette tapes and that unique noise you get from an unnecessarily large straight six.

That sounds perfect.

I'm off to find an XJS.

I love being the bloke with the daft old car.  It gives people something to talk about.  In my teens, in the 70s, there was a chap driving around Southport in a collection of older American cars, using them as his regular dailies.  I got to know him and he's definitely influenced me.  I then discovered he wasn't the only one!  Not only that, but this lifestyle didn't have to be the preserve of an elderly solicitor, working men could do it too.  Consequently, as much as possible, that's exactly what I've done ever since.

So Jo, you're not being unreasonable wanting that life.  Go for it!

However, the really interesting characters I experienced when 17-24 (1990-1997) were the last of those that fought in the WW11 who were in their late 60s upwards. I was lucky enough to be able to use my Mum's 1966 Rover P5 (this was from 1990) on a regular basis and also went to club meetings. It had these people in spades. It sounds a cliché, but they were a different breed. Not that it was really talked about, but it was just the approach to life. Basically, they just got on with things.

So true. Many of them had that secret of youth shining in their eyes despite old age, knowing what really matters in this world. I'm convinced they enjoyed life much more than the generation which constantly needs stuff just to prevent feeling low. They'd take huge pride in carefully but gently upsetting the apple cart, pricking pomposities, deflating egos, straying into territories which would have today's under 30s ringing for the PC police. They knew how dangerous it was to be allowed to remain in a bubble of self-delusion, never confronted with the truth.

I miss these characters, this country is over-burdened with the "I'm worth it" sorts. Another reason this forum is a Very Good Thing (in general).

I like going to shows still but I am not into showing my own car, unless it is a simple case of putting it in the classic car park or something.   I showed it at Santa Pod once and it was a ball ache, getting up at the crack of dawn to move it over to the show area, walking back to the campsite to get breakfast, spending the day at the show as normal and then queuing for hours to get it back to the campsite side so I could pack away and fuck off.

Its probably alright if you're one of these people who buys into the show thing wholesale, who like to sit by the side of it all day with your board full of runners up plaques and rosettes, boring to death anyone who makes the mistake of asking you a simple question.  But its not for me.

I also love being the quirky guy with the older cars, everyone local who I seem to meet tells me where I live etc, usually with the comment, your the guy with all the fords I love your cars, I do go to shows with my cars but don't spend the day sat next to them, it's useful because I can keep my lunch in them so don't pay inflated prices, load anything I buy straight into the boot rather than lugging it around all day and also most of the shows are only a couple of quid for the driver and passenger if your displaying

fdb..

"They knew how dangerous it was to be allowed to remain in a bubble of self-delusion, never confronted with the truth.."

Oh yes, nailed it here.... < FB feedback/self select/echo chamber/selfie 'lykes' > ....

The young will inherit the earth = bol kids!

My dad's first car was a Morris Eight Series E, proper classic car right? He learned to do all the maintenance and had many hilarious breakdowns.

The bloke opposite me has a W reg Astra, does all his own maintenance.... No, sorry, nothing will ever make me interested in an Astra. Even though it's a direct equivalent of the Morris.

It's our perception that's changed.

It doesn't happen very often but every now and again somebody will tell me they knew the Cowley's previous owner.   It was in daily local use until 2005 before its 10 year lay-up and looks exactly the same as it would have done back then.   I have also bought some useful spares from folk who see the car and come and tell me what they have in the shed.   

Apart from the salt, the Morrises are out and about whenever I can use them and I don't feel as "comfortable" in our newer cars like the 190E or Fiesta.   Even the T25 feels "period" with its struggle steering, lack of performance and forward control driving stance.   

I simply don't have any interest in modern vehicles but neither do I consider 50s/60s cars as being good value for money these days - its all a bit of worry really.    The number of local bods running around in interesting stuff has dwindled to almost nothing over the last ten years.    

As SMH says, though, its a matter of perception.   Mrs Rocker gets lots of comments about her 190E but to us its the "modern"

I don't really broadcast the fact that I even own it, its not the most desirable classic Ford, however a good number of them still have a habit of disappearing in the night if left unsecured. Its a sad reflection of the times we live in that being the proud owner of a classic has to be tempered by security concerns.

Same with internet presence, hence no 'build thread' or pictures outside my house.  (quite apart from the fact i'm a lazy bastard and it would be the slowest moving build thread ever)

I wanted a classic that could also be functional - mainly tow my caravan to shows - and now I've got it running properly it performs this task fine, once I get there I just park it up like any other car.  It gets lots of admiring glances on the road and the occasional person rolling their window down at traffic lights to pass comment - that's enough attention for me.

My bmw is black. It has tan leather. It has a fuel injected V8 engine with automatic transmission.

Exactly like my SD1. The SD1 is cool in a way the BMW will never be.

I sadly have to admit what does spur me on with it ( at the mo I have no mojo for it)

is the fact it will be worth something when it is finished.

It doesn't happen very often but every now and again somebody will tell me they knew the Cowley's previous owner.   It was in daily local use until 2005 before its 10 year lay-up and looks exactly the same as it would have done back then.   I have also bought some useful spares from folk who see the car and come and tell me what they have in the shed.   

Apart from the salt, the Morrises are out and about whenever I can use them and I don't feel as "comfortable" in our newer cars like the 190E or Fiesta.   Even the T25 feels "period" with its struggle steering, lack of performance and forward control driving stance.   

I simply don't have any interest in modern vehicles but neither do I consider 50s/60s cars as being good value for money these days - its all a bit of worry really.    The number of local bods running around in interesting stuff has dwindled to almost nothing over the last ten years.    

As SMH says, though, its a matter of perception.   Mrs Rocker gets lots of comments about her 190E but to us its the "modern"

When out and about in our C15 Citroen we often look out for interesting cars etc. The score is usually 1 per trip these days on a long trip - seems very few really old cars about on a daily basis.

I don't really broadcast the fact that I even own it, its not the most desirable classic Ford, however a good number of them still have a habit of disappearing in the night if left unsecured. Its a sad reflection of the times we live in that being the proud owner of a classic has to be tempered by security concerns.

Same with internet presence, hence no 'build thread' or pictures outside my house. (quite apart from the fact i'm a lazy bastard and it would be the slowest moving build thread ever)

I wanted a classic that could also be functional - mainly tow my caravan to shows - and now I've got it running properly it performs this task fine, once I get there I just park it up like any other car. It gets lots of admiring glances on the road and the occasional person rolling their window down at traffic lights to pass comment - that's enough attention for me.

We must meet.

Although you’ll have to wipe my memory afterwards for security purposes.

Having run a succession of scimitars as daily drivers, it was some of my happiest motoring times. I got to be known around Gravesend as the big man with the weird car. They were largely reliable, having only 1 FTP in the manual one in 2 years, and 3 in the auto over 5 years, pretty good odds as that could be similar a breakdown record for a car much newer as aside from a siezed trunnion blowing the PAS rack, it was consumables and service items that failed. Being relatively simple and made from Meccano with a plastic tub on top, repairs and servicing was relatively simple.

I'm not one who likes seeing classics being left in a garage or barn as a show piece, run for about 2 months when we have some decent* weather. They need to be used at least once a week to keep them in good health. I'm not a purist or concours buff either, uprating lighting, ignition and making the car more useable in today's traffic can only be a good thing.

Show's: been to loads as a viewer but only ever shown once - Metro 1.0 - and was appalled at some of the comments about it from 'enthusiasts' so I never did it again and only been to one show since. It seems, if it is not an exotic/semi-exotic/old Ford then it is just shit and not worthy of showing.

Agree about car shows, never taking another of mine.

It even applies without the car - made the error of going to an American car show once - chatting to a bloke about my Chevy as he was showing a similar one - his sneering mate chips in with "oh you ain't brought yours cos it's raining" fuck them and their confederate flags and cowboy boots in Northants.

I get a lot of shit off various people for driving around in old heaps - but they can all fuck off. 

I found it amusing at the show I attended with my Granada, there was a guy I got chatting to on the stand who had a Cortina running the same 2.8 cologne lump. I mentioned that I was having problems getting it to run and idle correctly, he says oh i’ll have a look at it for you tomorrow and set it up if you like.

Next morning as everyone is getting ready to move cars over to the showground my peace and quiet is shattered by the sound of something being endlessly spun over, coughing, spluttering, dying...rinse repeat. Yep, it’s his Cortina

I’ll skip the tune up thanks. Later resolved by setting the valve clearances.