Smoll 90s car for fussy buyer.

Angrydicky

Shame about the French dislike... because the 106 1.5 diesel would be perfect.  They are BRILLIANT!

I dislike diesels too! The 106 isn't too bad to be fair, neither is the MK1 Clio though it would have to be a manual as I've been reading barrett's colleague's woes with his gearbox.

Some fantastic suggestions there, chaps :)

Wuvvum, which Perodua do you have? My sister has a Kelisa and it's a great little thing.

Understand about the post 2001 thing - it's not set in stone though 1990s cars are more interesting, plus it seems the car tax prices are all over the place.

Ghosty, I really like your Rover (and I should have clarified, Rondas are fine but I want to avoid anything K series) but it's a saloon, and I really want a hatch and secondly, it's like the Maestro, too good to use through the winter.

Should have hung onto the Rover 600 really, yes it was cosmetically challenged but had no rust at all and was super reliable. It was just too thirsty for my commute.

I can weld but I wouldn't be buying this car as a project to set to with the Mig straight away. And the dishonesty of some sellers really irritates me. 

quote "Nephew has an early base low miles 1.2 Corsa B which he got off here as a stop.gap"

that one has gone to another new home !

if it had power steering I would of taken it  !

I am just after a nice little runner thats easy to look after ..

The Somerset’s metal is very thick, it would probably last better during the winter than a Maestro would.

How about an Hyundai Accent? More or less the same sort of thing as a Starlet, and pretty bulletproof. There were at least two models, the blobby 90s one and then the 00s one which looked a bit like a N16 Almera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Accent

EDIT - Ok, not much like an Almera at all!

94-99 one was the ‘X3’ code and 99-05 one the ‘LC’ code. 1.3 and 1.5 pez engines. Best fact on that wiki page is that the designer of the LC is named Pinky Lai.

Ghosty, I really like your Rover (and I should have clarified, Rondas are fine but I want to avoid anything K series) but it's a saloon, and I really want a hatch and secondly, it's like the Maestro, too good to use through the winter.

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE, not a K-series. 

'Too good for winter' is debatable, it's a good car and like I said a rot free R8, but with a bit of Waxoyl it'll be fine. There are certainly tidier ones out there, I'd put this one in the 'clean daily' category.

It isn't selling fast so if you really need something you know where to look.

The Somerset’s metal is very thick, it would probably last better during the winter than a Maestro would.

How about an Hyundai Accent? More or less the same sort of thing as a Starlet, and pretty bulletproof. There were at least two models, the blobby 90s one and then the 00s one which looked a bit like a N16 Almera.

Yes I like those.

The Maestro will be going up for sale shortly, it's way too good to subject to winter road salt.

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE, not a K-series. 

'Too good for winter' is debatable, it's a good car and like I said a rot free R8, but with a bit of Waxoyl it'll be fine. There are certainly tidier ones out there, I'd put this one in the 'clean daily' category.

It isn't selling fast so if you really need something you know where to look.

Oh I was aware yours was a Honda engine, I probably could have been clearer in the post.

It looks very clean in the pictures. Is it fuel injection or carb? Any PAS?

Manchester is an arse to get to from here, unfortunately.

It's injected and has PAS. No ABS.

It is clean but that's just because it has good quality paint and a partial respray. It's a little rough around the edges, but nothing major.

There's a Norwich-Liverpool train that goes through Manchester, you know (though it does take a while), and getting back is just bobbing over the Pennines to the M1, down to the A1, and off to the Fens. I'm even on the right side of Manchester for that.

</salesman>

Oh I was aware yours was a Honda engine, I probably could have been clearer in the post.

It looks very clean in the pictures. Is it fuel injection or carb? Any PAS?

Manchester is an arse to get to from here, unfortunately.

Out to peebo then it's direct /nerd without looking

It's injected and has PAS. No ABS.

It is clean but that's just because it has good quality paint and a partial respray. It's a little rough around the edges, but nothing major.

There's a Norwich-Liverpool train that goes through Manchester, you know (though it does take a while), and getting back is just bobbing over the Pennines to the M1, down to the A1, and off to the Fens. I'm even on the right side of Manchester for that.

</salesman>

Kings Lynn Grantham Newark a57 ghosty

Yes.  Yes it does.  So much of a while in fact that it's actually quicker to go in to London and back out again.  (Usually cheaper too.)

It doesn't help that I'm in the middle of nowhere, with virtually no public transport. I'm about 20 mins from Diss and 35 mins from Norwich in a car. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Accent

EDIT - Ok, not much like an Almera at all!

94-99 one was the ‘X3’ code and 99-05 one the ‘LC’ code. 1.3 and 1.5 pez engines. Best fact on that wiki page is that the designer of the LC is named Pinky Lai.

I was going to suggest an Accent though a couple of things made me think it wouldn't fit the bill.

I've only driven these without PAS. Friends had them, an ex had one. They were heavy. Driven plenty of non-PAS cars, and I these were heavier than the my Simca and Horizon. I think it was an option on later X3 series or the very top spec models.

Pros: Cheap, reliable, plenty of well cared for low mileage examples owned by old farts, quite nimble.

Cons: heavy without PAS, thirsty compared to rivals (especially the automatics), noisy, engines harsh.

There’s a Toyota Corolla 1300 Sportif of 1996 vintage in Peterboghorror for 450 squid, the advert is on autotrader if that’s any help?

Just had a look at that, just what I'd be going for. I may well be able to help with a lift into Diss/Thetford as part of a collection (I think the latter gives better options for getting across country).

K11 Micra/ XP10 Yaris is probably the best bet, preferably giffer owned, as they are essentially worthless even when in good nick. 1.0 editions are as gutless as one would imagine but get 50mpg and I think both cars came with a 1.3 which would be nippier. A mate of mine had a K11 at college and it happily soared past 110,000 miles with nothing but basic servicing and tyres, it'd probably still be going if not for it being traded against a K12 and probably being bean canned...

Both also feature the benefit of being smol 1990s cars, so special editions with funky seat upholstery are the order of the day.

Either that or you man up and buy an Acclaim, I used to commute further in a Doloshite 1300 ffs. ;)