Cycling North After Winter

Bucketeer

Dude, well done so far and happy new year.

As mentioned earlier, please take care of yourself - it's good to hear that you are watching your mental health - the 'cycling in the wrong direction' is certainly a tap on the back as it were..

Great shots and great writing. Thoroughly enjoyable thread.

Like most on here, I'm looking forward to hearing that you get closer to the coast on the west and enjoy some finer weather.

Carry on.

CFD

On the topic of locks, a combination lock is a very, very bad idea as anything more than secondary protection as they're just too easy to pick (I say that, there's not much to it, and no tools really needed), or cut through. They're often as cheap, or cheaper than D-lock cables and only really do as much good. Both used in absence of anything else cause a stolen bike.

IMO a Kryptonite will more than pay for itself, the cheapest one you can find where the straight side of the D is orange coloured is all you need (New Yorks and the Fahgedaboudit are slight overkill but very tough), or a Hiplok is another good idea. Hiploks are heavy fuckers (they're thick chains), but as the name suggests can be worn around the hips. After a while you don't realise they're there.

I cycled in this morning into work, while wearing thermally lined cycling gear and several layers. It was -2C outside. Despite cycling hard to keep warm, after my 15 minute commute was up I was proper cold.

I certainly couldn't be doing what you are doing in this weather. Stay safe.

Do you use Poste Restante or have a future Postal Adddress in case I can persuade a group of people to fund a Feb 2019 to Jan 2020 essential travel document for you with delivery in France?

If you wish to collect your post from the post office you can do so using a service called Poste Restante.

The sender merely needs to write your name on the envelope, followed by the words Poste Restante and the name and postal code of the commune.

If there is more than one post office in the locality, then the name of the post office from which you wish to recover the post should be stated.

The cost is €0.95 for letters and €0.48 for newspapers and journals. For parcels it is €4.

I cycled in this morning into work, while wearing thermally lined cycling gear and several layers. It was -2C outside. Despite cycling hard to keep warm, after my 15 minute commute was up I was proper cold.I certainly couldn't be doing what you are doing in this weather. Stay safe.

My limit is -3. Despite Merino wool base, top, gloves, face and neck buff, a hat gloves and a coat my fingers and toes get numb and my water bottle freezes. I have just put the studded ice tyres in the bike too, but now I’m ill- I hate Christmas as I always pick up something nasty from family.

In answer to a couple of previous questions:-

Distance-wise I would guess I've only done maybe 600-800kms so far. Probably less as the crow flies but maybe more as the bike wobbles and weaves and detours all over the place.

I'm sure I've burnt a lot of calories but I haven't checked my weight. TBH I haven't weighed myself in twenty years so I wouldn't really know if I'd lost loads or not anyway. I do know that my thighs are getting bigger.

The cycling in the cold has been okay/manageable I guess. If it is above 3 or 4°C then I warm up pretty quickly while riding but below that and not so much. Down in the depths of zero or below I can get uncold enough to be just about bearable but no matter how much/how hard I ride I never get warm. This is wearing three pairs of socks, lycra leggings and shorts, a vest, a cycling top, a hooded jumper, a fleece jacket, a padded overjacket, a snood, a hat, and mittens. I think it probably helps that I'm dragging a lot of weight about on the bike and in the trailer. I think this gets me a little warmer than you guys cycling to work in similar conditions.

It does often feel like I'm riding an exercise bike on the highest resistance setting. I had a ride the other day with no trailer and no weight on the bike and the difference was staggering.

Anyway, a little update is due.

I'm still at the guesthouse helping out, although according to Jürgen the owner it's not a guesthouse or a hotel or a hostel, but a private house. Maybe this is for tax reasons or summat, I don't know.

It is a lovely building.

post-13750-0-71461800-1546773019_thumb.jpg

Jurgen is in his mid seventies and is like an amalgamation of many AS members.

This is his car.

post-13750-0-42276200-1546773196_thumb.jpg

He is currently building a boat (4m X 2m) that he wants to take to Paris some day.

post-13750-0-05183600-1546773136_thumb.jpg

post-13750-0-10194600-1546773157_thumb.jpg

He built a boat many years ago that he took all over Europe.

post-13750-0-77087700-1546773241_thumb.jpg

He has a pretty cool little caravan.

post-13750-0-82809200-1546773216_thumb.jpg

Inside the house is an interesting and sometimes frightening array of items. I'm sure I've caught these winking at me as I pass them.

post-13750-0-67303400-1546773082_thumb.jpg

Importantly, there is fire.

post-13750-0-11133700-1546773103_thumb.jpg

He has a house and family in Thailand. We have many interesting discussions (in broken English and German) about his time there and his many other travels and adventures, often over a bottle of local paint stripper.

post-13750-0-01301600-1546773280_thumb.jpg

It is nice (if odd) here, but I really need to move on. I'm just finding it hard to actually move. The days are flying by so quickly and he talks of jobs I can do around the place this week, next week, next month. I don't want to seem ungrateful and just hightail it out of here, but the weather isn't going to get any warmer for a long while yet and I feel like I'm wasting away a bit and stuck here.

Anyway enough of my internal drivel, have another tractor.

post-13750-0-93170900-1546773296_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the arrangement is suiting you both for the moment. You've got warmth and food and an interesting roof over your head and he's probably pleased to have some company for this part of the year. Why not see if you can stay until say mid-February when Spring will be on its way and you'll have lighter days and better temperatures for riding? That gives the opportunity for him to find you some meaningful jobs to be done around the place and you won't have to worry about moving on in the depths of cold.

Who knows - this could turn into a long term friendship and you might find yourself visiting back there on a regular basis. His boats look jolly interesting, too! :-)

Another thought... as where you are is in prime wine-making territory, perhaps Jurgen has some local contacts for seasonal vineyard jobs there, which might make a nice autumn excursion for you in due course? Also, anything you can pick up while you are there to get a working knowledge of the care and management of vineyards through the seasons would set you up for similar work in the French and Spanish wine regions when you do travel down that way... perhaps learning something new and potentially useful would make spending further time in situ feel more constructive and valuable?

Right, it's all change. There are currently no bookings at the guesthouse for the rest of winter so Jurgen is shutting up for a couple of months and going to stay with a friend.

I suppose this is the kick I needed to get moving again. I just wish it wasn't forecast to be rain and snow (and cold obvs) for the next week.

Hope it stays dry during riding time. If you get too wet and cold during the next week, I, like many others, will be only too glad to chip in so that you can have a couple of nights drying out and staying warm-its a most entertaining thread and so far out of my own comfort zone!

Emmmmmmmmmmmm

The weather in Portugal promises blue skies, warm oceans, and plenty of sunshine, even in the winter. This European holiday destination offers long sunny days, minimal chance of rain, and a cooling breeze by the coast, where you’ll find it’s nice and mild even in the winter. Portugal’s location between Spain and the North Atlantic Ocean means it never gets too cold. The Mediterranean weather in the south means the popular Algarve region sees consistently warm and sunny days. The western region of Portugal can see cooler weather due to the Atlantic winds.

The weather in Portugal is still nice in the winter, with average daily temperatures of around 15°C.  It can get a little wet in the month of January, but rainfall is usually light. Winter nights can also get chilly, so bring some extra layers for those romantic evening strolls. The temperature starts to rise in April as summer approaches, with an average high of 20°C in the capital city of Lisbon. You can expect at least ten hours of daily sunshine during a typical spring day in Portugal.  Summer’s when Portugal weather is at its peak and the beaches are really bustling, with thousands of beach lovers flocking to the beautiful coastal area of Algarve. With an average temperature of 28°C, visitors are kept cool with an incoming breeze from surrounding regions. UV levels are high, so don’t forget your sun cream. Luckily, humidity levels are low throughout the country.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nazar%C3%A9,+Portugal/Moselle/@44.3061099,-5.6587427,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0xd18a8f174fa80db:0x400ebbde4903620!2m2!1d-9.069362!2d39.5995271!1m5!1m1!1s0x47be2bfd56228557:0xe725c884d984bf32!2m2!1d6.7399173!2d49.1169679

some bloke onna bike wid a trailer vid