Household Remedies for Cleaning, Repairing, or Maintaining Motorcars

Junkman

Vinegar against sticker residue, oven spray against dirty rims, coffee against vile odours - which home remedies really help with car care, and what can possibly do more damage than good?

There are plenty of tips on the Internet that you believe are true just because it's online. But only the right remedies used in the right place and situation will really help.

What are the biggest deadly sins, how do I avoid them and which home remedies may help?

Baby wipes are great for cleaning interior trim.They can really get dirt out of cloth seats,and another good use is on steering wheels and hard plastics,as they leave a nice matt finish.

Although some of them are so strong,you wonder about their effects on babies' undercarriages.

Baby wipes are great for cleaning interior trim.They can really get dirt out of cloth seats,and another good use is on steering wheels and hard plastics,as they leave a nice matt finish.

Although some of them are so strong,you wonder about their effects on babies' undercarriages.

Spot on. I am amazed at how efficient baby wipes are for every type of cleaning. I use them for my all my car interiors - I even cleaned the inside of my Land Rover with them prior to its MoT. I also have a damp cloth as baby wipes can caused streaking.

On another note, when I dipped my toes into buying and selling classics I heard that dealers use Cillit Bang was used on wire wheels. Not sure if it did them any good long-term mind you.

Clean glass with scrunched up newspaper and water or vinegar. Works a treat. Really getting the windows clean on a banger can transform its appearance after all a car is 1/3 glass

Someone once advised me to do this to stop my windscreen wipers screeching.  They screeched 10x worse afterwards.

Jury out, for windscreens at least

Clean glass with scrunched up newspaper and water or vinegar. Works a treat. Really getting the windows clean on a banger can transform its appearance after all a car is 1/3 glass

In the dim and distant past , I attended the Rolls Royce Chauffeur School for 2 weeks, of which 2 days were about washing fucking cars!

Anyway, the guy teaching us had a mantra " Windows and wheels, lads, windows and wheels" basically as long as those are clean and shiny you can get away with the bodywork.

Seen that stuff used to get the dust out from around all the buttons and switchgear, kinda like a putty/gel; I wonder if silly putty, blu tack or plasticine would work as well.

Kiwi boot polish if often far better for leather seats than any overpriced proprietary car leather care products.

I concur that vinegar and a bit of soapy water makes a great glass cleaner.

When Mrs Stoned's Polo what it's rear wheel cylinders, leaving a disgusting cocktail of brake dust & brake fluid everywhere I tried cleaning them with brake cleaner, but found it worse than useless. So,I tried using kitchen cleaner (any brand will do) & an old paint brush. Result! After a good scrub & a rinse with clean water they came up like new.

Seen that stuff used to get the dust out from around all the buttons and switchgear, kinda like a putty/gel; I wonder if silly putty, blu tack or plasticine would work as well.

Kiwi boot polish if often far better for leather seats than any overpriced proprietary car leather care products.

I concur that vinegar and a bit of soapy water makes a great glass cleaner.

I can't be the only one to have used a bit of chewing gum to do this, can I ?

It's not like I chewed it again afterwards, I'm not a total savage, you know.

Back to more normal stuff; Mr Muscle glass cleaner, best thing ever for cleaning ground in grime on light coloured leather, probably not terribly good for it if used regularly , but that and a soft nailbrush can transform filthy trim.