Huzzah!!! Car sorted and delivered!

chompy_snake

The back story is ....

My very good friend who is 58 has been victim of some pretty horrible vandalism.

She has had 2 cars written off in 6 months by local morons!

I won't be getting all angry about it or arranging lynch mobs, but, she is once again without a car.

She struggles to walk far because of COPD and other health issues and is currently in the hospital due to the accumulation of stress.

The MOT on the car she has sat with broken windscreen is up in a few days and the insurance are going to be increasing premiums again with yet another claim.

The Clio isn't able to pass a new MOT due to airbag light on and I'm worried it's going to be an expensive escapade to sort it out.

Thought in my mind is this ..... Sort a proper snotter with winter beater MOT length for no more than the price of windscreen claim!

Is this possible? Dents, visible rust and generally crap looking are all expected and welcomed at this point as she is flat broke from 16 months of constant damage.

I don’t think so. Not anything viable. Mostly because scrap prices are respectable and something medium sized weighs in around £100 last time I checked.

I think TheShadow manages it now and again; you need to visit some very cheap cars with the cash in your hand and wave it under their nose whilst threatening to leave.

It’s a dreadful situation, but I’ve said it before. If you’ve only got £80 to your name then motoring isn’t for you. Taxis, buses and favours are pretty much your only option.

Hope you can work something

Bit left field, but are you anywhere near Altrincham.

https://www.rover200.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12217

I've sent the "seller" a pm, but not had any response.

Happy to forward on details as I when I get any contact.

Only details I know re the car is as above, but £100 for a giffer R8 with MOT and low mileage could be useful.

I've just been offered £126 from car take back for a Mk5 fiesta. Whilst still in test it's more rotten than politics. That's your battle I reckon, why bother advertising worthless cars when someone will come to your house and drag it off for good money

Would you lend it to them for free until the mot is up ???

Not meaning to sound negative or anything and obviously don't know the backstory but won't the same local scrotes take great delight in destroying another vehicle, presumably parking it somewhere else would eliminate the object of having a car to stay independant.

Like I say maybe not positive thinking but I'd imagine the last thing your neighbour needs is another write off to deal with.

Not meaning to sound negative or anything and obviously don't know the backstory but won't the same local scrotes take great delight in destroying another vehicle, presumably parking it somewhere else would eliminate the object of having a car to stay independant.

Like I say maybe not positive thinking but I'd imagine the last thing your neighbour needs is another write off to deal with.

Guess thats why not bothered about an £80 shitter if it were to happen again and not bother claiming

Yes it is and even free.

two more to add to the heap although I wouldn't expect them to be insurance friendly.

post-3747-0-03849900-1539625772_thumb.jpgpost-3747-0-26998500-1539625813_thumb.jpg

one needs work for mot the other has 8 months mot but I would guess it will be lucky to do a couple of thousand miles before the clutch decided enough was enough.

I've been offered another Corsa with lawnmower engine could be available at cost (£0) if it's any good that is, going over at weekend to see it,

Can I suggest her not informing insurance or claiming for damage for car with broken winscreen and not bothering repairing the Clio? That way she could scrap both (one was a Focus, iirc?) which would probably see £250-£300 for the pair which could be used towards her next car. Two less things to worry about, bit of spare cash in her jet.

Guess thats why not bothered about an £80 shitter if it were to happen again and not bother claiming

True enough I just thought that if it was me I'd be waiting for the inevitable sound of glass smashing or worse and be back to square one again.

Can I suggest her not informing insurance or claiming for damage for car with broken winscreen and not bothering repairing the Clio? That way she could scrap both (one was a Focus, iirc?) which would probably see £250-£300 for the pair which could be used towards her next car. Two less things to worry about, bit of spare cash in her jet.

This exactly!

Although the focus is long gone and was used to fund Clio.

A very kind hearted and anonymous donor (unless they wished to be revealed) has injected some cash into the fund.

This was so unexpected and is enormously appreciated. It has been the first genuine smile that I have seen on my friends face for above a year!!! She even got a bit emotional. We are wanting to get hold of the £280 AX as it would be the very best of winter beaters, cheap to run blah blah blah. And as of this moment parking arrangements are in place so the car never needs to be unattended unless in a very public area like a supermarket.

She is on the up health wise even though she scared us all half to death and just the prospect of not having to make yet another claim and hopefully close the book on the whole sorry affair has uplifted her spirits somewhat. I'm hopeful that the hospital stay will not be too long as nobody wants to be in there.

Thanks millions guys as I have had a place to vent all this and have a bit of a rage at times without people getting offended or anything =)

The airbag connection under the passenger seat is damaged and even with a good connection (seemingly) the light stays on -_-

If it’s damaged, cut the connection and solder them. Every clio in the world has its airbag light on due to seemingly good looking connectors being faulty. If it looks shit it probably is

This exactly!

Although the focus is long gone and was used to fund Clio.

A very kind hearted and anonymous donor (unless they wished to be revealed) has injected some cash into the fund.

This was so unexpected and is enormously appreciated. It has been the first genuine smile that I have seen on my friends face for above a year!!! She even got a bit emotional. We are wanting to get hold of the £280 AX as it would be the very best of winter beaters, cheap to run blah blah blah. And as of this moment parking arrangements are in place so the car never needs to be unattended unless in a very public area like a supermarket.

She is on the up health wise even though she scared us all half to death and just the prospect of not having to make yet another claim and hopefully close the book on the whole sorry affair has uplifted her spirits somewhat. I'm hopeful that the hospital stay will not be too long as nobody wants to be in there.

Thanks millions guys as I have had a place to vent all this and have a bit of a rage at times without people getting offended or anything =)

This is great news!! I do hope that the cause of all the grief gets dealt with though.

People still think you need to pay to have scrap removed, hence enterprising* folks managing to buy cars for £20

Scrap. 90% of stuff entering scrapyards are uneconomical to repair test failures and stuff with serious mechanical faults. Like cavcraft said I’d weigh the other 2 cars in and have £350 to go at it with.

Scrap. 90% of stuff entering scrapyards are uneconomical to repair test failures and stuff with serious mechanical faults. Like cavcraft said I’d weigh the other 2 cars in and have £350 to go at it with.

Not sure about that - some people scrap cars that need minor repairs because “that cars a bit old now” etc.

I was offered £1 for a 2004 Fiesta in part ex against my close to zero margin new Duster - the “we don’t want it” price. Scrap at the time was about £75. I gave it to a mate and they’re still using it having spent very little on it. It had about 9 months ticket.

I couldn’t be arsed selling it - imagine that many times over with most people buying a new car. Not everyone is au fait with scrap prices

What I do agree with is that £80 doesn’t buy AND RUN an old shitter.