Peugeot 406. What should I be looking for?

pandamonium

Once I've gotten out of my latest financial / mental / physical slump, I'd like to treat myself to a comfy, wafty, reliable cruiser.

While a Citroen BX estate would be my kind of heaven, I shy away from anything with green blood and magic suspension.

I've ruled out anything German as I hate being 'one of the crowd'.

The Lexus LS400 is a good shout, but fuel...

And to add to it, my little boy keeps on at me to 'Get another Peugeot like the green one you had' I had a green 406, 1.8 petrol briefly and although it was nice to drive, it had a weird feel to it, like it was hesitating, or not quite running right. I'm a bit funny about engines that don't 'feel right'.

So, what's the best one to get? I prefer estates, but I guess that isn't a major concern. Diesel better?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree, is there a better (budget) cruiser out there?

Sorry for the ramble, just kind of thinking out loud.

I've only ever had diesel 406s and they are fine. I don't really like the petrols they used at the time, but the 2 litre was probably the best.

Non turbo XUDs are glacial. Apparently the 1.9 TD isn't great either.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292768590787

Typical Peugeot stuff...rear brakes and handbrakes are usually iffy. They do rot along the back of the sills too.

16k in my 2.1XUD since last November amd once the glow plug issue was sorted, no problems to speak of. The handbrake sticks on, so I haven't used the handbrake for six months. They're super comfortable but my one at least doesn't always feel stable at high speeds and is almost as susceptible to crosswinds as a BX. Unbelievable torque, nice driving position, decent build quality (by French standards) but horrible light steering and wobbly handling. It's taken me a long time to get used to the thing, but at this stage I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I'm sure an HDI would be just the same but a little more refined.

Sam's will be for sale in a few days ;)

I've only ever had diesel 406s and they are fine. I don't really like the petrols they used at the time, but the 2 litre was probably the best.

Non turbo XUDs are glacial. Apparently the 1.9 TD isn't great either.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292768590787

Typical Peugeot stuff...rear brakes and handbrakes are usually iffy. They do rot along the back of the sills too.

I could see you buying a 406 V6 with spurious extra "V6" badges applied by the previous owner and rusty sills.

I love mine. Did 450 miles yesterday and didn't miss a beat.

Got 90 hdi . Paid £350 in April time with pretty much full years ticket. Since then had new Maf (£35) plus servicing.

Needs a clutch now which are 6 hours book time with ramp etc. Ignoring that for the moment.

Before that I had Bubs 2.1 td which was awesome but knackered. Preferred that to be honest but this is more economical. Mpg wise is about 48 ISH for an estate.

I change cars so often, but I think this is a keeper for me.

Would I buy another - absolutely.

Wobbly handling? I thought mine was brilliant in terms of ride and handling, and it followed an e39 5 series and came before a 306 gti. I probably preferred it to both of them. Mine was a 110 and with another 30 hp I think it would have been perfect.

Re the 6 hour clutch book time... that's the thing that lead me to sell mine (to a scrappy I found out when he turned up with a beavertail... I'd just washed it for him and prepared all the service book etc too!)

Edit ... get one with an armrest. 

Hmm. This is making me nostalgic. It was the cheapest car I've ever had and it was also the most comfortable.

I had a d9 saloon, 1.8 LX petrol in China blue for about 5 years. Did about 40k in it, which took it to around 90k I think.

Then my brother had it till about 130k miles. Actually reasonable on fuel, I used to average about 40mpg. Obviously not very fast but she could hustle a back road well enough.

Think it was my last really trouble free car!

Mine rusted on the bonnet edge above the headlights and a little bit on one door bottom, but apart from that I can't really recall much else.

Well I say that, I mean when I had it.

Fuck knows what wrecker did to the poor old thing.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

One of the best built Peugeots of the last 25 years, when they came out we couldn't believe the quality (compared to what had gone before, and afterwards in hindsight).

Brilliant ride, compared favourably to a Jaguar when it came out.  All 406s should be ultra stable at speed, and handle extremely well, or there's something wrong with them.  Sreering is a bit light, especially the variable assistance PAS on higher spec models; certainly not as "chuckable" as a 306 or 405.  Original XUD and HDis obviously have good reputation.  1.8 & 2.0 engines struggle to haul car around, especially with automatic, although later post 2000 'silver top' 2.0 engine is a bit better.  V6 fun and thirsty, not as refined as smaller petrols.  I had a 1998 2.0 and it was brilliant,quiet and refined on the motorway.

Handbrake and rear brakes seem to cause problems, later post 2001 cars with multiplex wiring can cause issues especially the column stalk body.

Seem to be very few good ones left now.

I had a 1998 estate manual with 2.0 petrol. Friend had a 2003 HDi estate.

Beautiful cars. Very stable at speed and the ride quality was exceptional. Spacious boot. Quite trouble-free, too. Only issue I had with mine was the intermittently working speedo, which was apparently a common fault on them. Fixing it required pulling apart the instrument cluster and re-soldering the speedo and RPM connections on the circuit board.

I've come to appreciate it more and more as I've lived with the cars that succeeded it.

The one Moog had off me was a bit ropey. Very wallowy and I didn't find it that economical. The 2.o hdi was a better motor in the 307 I had. Comfy though and very spacious. I'd personally look for a hdi 90 for simplicity in estate form.

The shocks were utterly fucked on it - hence wallowy.  The new one has got new shocks and handles really well. 

Ride, handling, refinement all excellent on my V6. The only time the handling was wallowy was when one of the rear tyres was very low on pressure. Weak points on the V6 are the need for a very expensive cam belt replacement every few years and ignition coils that don't last as long as they should (one of mine - Delphi - started playing up recently at only 3 years old. Previous set lasted about 10 years).

Can't comment on the later ones as both mine were early examples, both XUD's, a '98 2.1TD estate and a '96 1.9TD saloon. Did about 40K in the estate (incl work use and moving house) and about 30K in the saloon. Had little trouble with either, just a few of the usual suspects but nothing expensive or serious.

Quite well built too, better than the 405 that's for sure but the paint is typically French and thin!

Both went well (for a diesel - I'm not a real fan TBH), the 2.1 obviously was quicker and nicer, it had also been better looked after than the 1.9 too, and the fuel economy was very similar (about 45mpg whatever you were doing). I've driven the 1.8 pez of a former colleague and it's very nice IMO but most 406's are diesel and if you're going diesel then an XUD is a nice simple strong unit, not the most powerful, economical or refined but I'd have it any day over some over-complex C/R time-bomb affair.

Disagree with those that think the handling is suspect, IMO it's actually really good for something that wasn't intended as any sort of sporty vehicle, if you have a decent set of tyres and know what you're doing, you can embarrass modern boxes! It was one of the last decent handling Pugs (with the 205, 306 & 106) that had it's suspension designed by the same guy before he retired. That's why all Pugs since then & upto a couple of years ago had dreadful handling (206, 307, 407 etc.).

Suspect most are getting long in the tooth now and very leggy. Estates as ever suffer the worst attrition as they get used to death 'cos they are so practical and useful - mine was amazing as to what it carried at times. 

Definately worth a punt - as ever, buy on condition not age. 

I loved my '96 P 2.1LXDT estate.

Bought for 50 quid, ran for two years there or thereabouts, died at 275k with a very strong heart but there was literally nothing left to weld sills on to. Think I got 90 quid from a breaker for it.

Had an 03 HDi 90 saloon as well which was ace but alas the sills fell off that too with less than 100k on the clock - it holds my record for size of plate on a sill at 39 inches on the offside.

Would I have another? Absolutely. Another pre-facelift 2.1TD estate ideally, with sills and ideally at least a GLX.

Definitely, I'd describe the ride of a 407 (well the two I had with 17s) as"jiggly"

I think the 407 handled pretty well but the famed Peugeot 'loping' ride had completely gone to pot. 406 was the last car to have it.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I've no particular wisdom to impart re. 406s, but you might also want to consider a Mk1 Laguna if you're in the market for a cheap, comfy lump of 90s Frogchod to waft around in.

Both of mine were a supremely comfortable drive (though had an appetite for rear wheel bearings) with plenty of space and distinctive looks.

post-17915-0-30759100-1539618149_thumb.jpg

Reasonable early examples still crop up for £Not Much - though I've noticed a serious fall-off in numbers over the past twelvemonth (and not just on my driveway...).

Just a thought!

I'd love a diesel Laguna wagon.

vpVWjW3.jpg

Had one. Was very cheap. Very roomy inside. Massive load bay. 49-51mpg average, was the inbetween DCi common rail diesel engine between the 2.2 IDI and the 'fully mental run on for days' 1.9 DTi. Passed another test with a welded up exhaust bracket.

Ride not quite as fluid as a 406's but not far off; roadholding even on awful dog salad remoulds was impressive. Not quick. At all. Gearbox was a bit tired at 214k. Sold to Partridge who needed a runabout. It ended its life as a crack den and got scrapped.

The 2.1 has a fair bit of old school turbo spool and shove of torque, whereas the HDI 110 seems to be more instant torque, delivered far more smoothly. Genuinely not much in it with performance but its a bit quieter.

For info, I've just done 215 miles on £25 of diesel. Not bad right?

Although I have horrible personal experiences with a certain Renault, I can attest to the mk1 Laguna as having a kind heart and it will look after its owner. There was one in the family, a 2.0 petrol manual, that was driven by the owner from 90k km to 350k km with very little problems. The owner was not a car person at all. The Laguna was happy with just oil changes and basic maintenance.

The late 1990s and early 2000s is an era when most major manufacturers turned out some pretty good motors; 406, Mondeo, Octavia &c - the modern refinements were starting to come in in terms of DERV burning, yet weren't too complicated to be repaired only by plugging into a USB port on a laptop.

I've only driven the 406 coupé, a V6. I thought it wasn't too bad, handled quite nicely but the V6 not quite as nice as the Mondeo/Cougar Duratec. Had plenty of experience with XUD engines, having run a ZX, a 306DTurbo and after my granddad gave up driving, used to chauffeur him around in his XM 2.1D bASe - strong, reliable, relatively easy to work on, but they hide neglect well, and by the time of the 406 were a bit long in the tooth and very old-school in power delivery. HDi engines are a lot more refined and have torque from tickover to mid range revs, but I have known friends and family who own HDi engined PSA products and have nothing but aggro with them despite being well maintained.

I think the biggest enemy now is rust. Most 406s I've seen in my area are either immaculate 1-owner from new and well cared for cars, or beaten up ex-taxis repaired and run on a shoestring budget with rust bubbles, patches and pogweaseling. Plenty about with crusty sills and arches.