Broadsword's Blower Jag

Broadsword

Thanks. It can’t have been very far off from having the timing chains slip. The old tensions literally broke up in my hands. With the experience I would be quite comfortable doing this sort of job again. Might be a cheap way to get into an XJR going forward. Buy one with a noisy engine, then change the tensioners. I would quite like to buy an XK8 for a grand with this sort of problem and the fix it.

Youtube messed up the video orientation and the Youtube editor lost removed the option to rotate the video now, but you get the idea. This is a quick test drive to see how the engine is performing. The sensation of speed is really distorted in this thing, you think you are barely moving when in fact you are moving somewhat rapidly. The main point is that at any speed and in any gear it just pulls relentlessly without any sign of slowing down. There can't be very much left wrong with the engine despite the bad noise, I hope at least.

Youtube messed up the video orientation and the Youtube editor lost removed the option to rotate the video now, but you get the idea. This is a quick test drive to see how the engine is performing. The sensation of speed is really distorted in this thing, you think you are barely moving when in fact you are moving somewhat rapidly. The main point is that at any speed and in any gear it just pulls relentlessly without any sign of slowing down. There can't be very much left wrong with the engine despite the bad noise, I hope at least.

Damn that's a sweet noise, I need one more than ever now!

I would probably swap this in a heartbeat for an XJR6, but I'm too busy adding value to this one at the moment! I now firmly believe most of life's ills are solved by embracing supercharged Jags. Everyone likes you for owning one also. Passers by on the driveway, while I'm working under the bonnet, have a habit of stopping in their tracks and looking at the boot badge in amazement*. By the way I pinned up the headlining after a box of those twispins arrived from Amazon. I can't be bothered to fix that bit properly at the moment, but prefer not to have the headlining sitting on my head.

This >>>>>>>

"..All in the job took 4 hours and 3 cups of tea, and went surprisingly smoothly, working swiftly but with style.."

.... is why we are here ;)

Well done on the fix but I think you skimped on the tea. 1 before you start, another after the first hour then on the hour after that. I assume you used the cable tie method ?

Well done on the fix but I think you skimped on the tea. 1 before you start, another after the first hour then on the hour after that. I assume you used the cable tie method ?

Yes, the cable tie method worked perfectly fine. Nothing moves if you don't yank at the cam excessively. Just be careful when bolting the cam shaft back down. I marked everything precisely, didn't mix any bolts, counted the number of turns etc. When bolting the caps back on I did them a few turns at a time each. As you move up and down the cam you gradually take the slack out of it. By the time I got to the end, the flats I had marked matched up perfectly to the markings on the caps (read Tipex marks) and you could feel them going to just the right torque.

A new and exciting tool came in the post the other day, and I spent a few minutes putting it up today. Behold a 20 tonne press! Looking forwards to using it. I got fed up with mechanics being scared to work on the XJ Sport, so I will use this to sort out a rear wheel bearing. Now that I have it I might as well rebuild the blower on the XJR since it might want doing. I'm going to have to take everything on the top of the engine off (throttle body, EGR valve and blower) to really get to the bottom of this strange engine noise. A S/C rebuild might as well take place at the same time. Who knows maybe the bearings really are worn out or something. Any Shitters near York, I may well be able to help you out with your pressing needs now!

post-20621-0-32627000-1540583250_thumb.jpg

Handy bit of kit.

A chap I worked with a few years ago claimed a press was the best tool in the workshop.

I hate having to chase around town with hub and bearing trying to find someone who will do the job 'there and then' and no wanting you to leave it with them for a couple of days.

Most recent hub bearing I've done is rear of a Corsa, comes as a complete hub. Seems such as waste of a hub

I hate having to chase around town with hub and bearing trying to find someone who will do the job 'there and then' and no wanting you to leave it with them for a couple of days.

Exactly what happened to me, I got really fed up in the end. Decided I could do it just as well myself and instead of giving the money to them (who don't want the work anyway), I might as well invest in a nice piece of kit I get to keep.

My next tool investment will be this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IZN9OZG/?coliid=I2A2Z1N8OV0FRR&colid=389PA5QCK2N3V&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Well I got lucky and found a farm to store the Jag, located close to my home. The XJR is living there for now which leaves more room at home. Since it is so close by, it is no chore getting access to it as and when. Anyway the XJR is slightly on the back burner now. I'm focusing my efforts on selling the XJ Sport. Annoyingly the battery seems to be bad on the XJR. It died on me after two cold nights. It was dead when collecting but had been fine since. The aux belt is also noisy when cold. The two may be related. Easy enough to change the belt though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, itch scratched. I’ve taken this car as far as I can, so it will gradually be for sale. Gradually because I’m yet to get the V5 and new number plate. I called the DVLA today and asked what was happening. Apparently the V5 was sent out but to the person who filled out the form to keep the private plate (i.e the dealer). I asked what happens with the fact that I taxed it on the old plate and they said that in this instance the tax is kept on the car during the change of number plate. As far as I understood, the dealer will get a new V5 in his name and then we change the owner to me. I’m in touch with the dealer though so once he gets something I will change the owner to me online and hope to get the V5 back again soon.

Status with car is that it is running well, but has its issues. It’s surprisingly nice to drive despite being a neglected example. You can really throw it around and the steering response is good for an XJ. It’s very, very fast obviously. There is still a noise from the engine which I can’t pin down. Minor exhaust leak aside there is a metallic clacking after the engine warms up. It’s not he supercharger. I ran it for miles with the blower off and the noise of the engine is unaltered. Fun note: You can quite safely run the car with the supercharged belt removed. The car is still quick in that state to the point of needing traction control. I think it might be the primary timing chains, which I’m not prepared to deal with. I could (very possibly) be wrong though. I did my bit with the secondary tensioners.

I’m in it for £1400. It’s well rough but it remains drivable, taxed, MOT’d and insured. Pretty much everything works but I don’t have radio code. There is less rust on it than I expected. It would pass an MOT most like without too much trauma. There are quite a few valuable bits on it like the amazing Brembo brakes. Let me know if there is any interest. Not sure if it really is the right sort of thing to sell here, but hey ho.

While I was writing this post, I got the V5 for the car. The new registration is RX51 VYG. It is now in my name so it's nearly ready to go. I'll get plates ordered immediately and job jobbed.

Superchargers make everything* better. Don't delay. Buy now! Maybe some photos will help. Sorry I'm keeping the shag pile rugs forever! I have boxed myself into a bit of a corner here. I have already indicated my intent to buy a up a replacement, which puts me under pressure to get rid of a car soon.

To expedite matters somewhat, I am willing to deliver the car if someone wanted to buy and lives not too far from York. Engine sounds really nice at tickover and gentle driving up to full operating temp. It is when you put serious heat into the engine you get the noise. I also might just bung it on auction and see what happens.

Photos below:

post-20621-0-33197000-1541599180_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-58608000-1541599219_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-31572700-1541599258_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-12839700-1541599292_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-58104600-1541599326_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-39707300-1541599376_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-45255600-1541599400_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...