SWB Van

Jerzy Woking

I want (or more correctly, need) to buy a van, specifically to drive down to and around Spain for a few months, and want to take on of my motorbikes with me.

Requirements are:

MUST have air con

MUST have at least 10 months MOT.

Er, think that's all the must haves I need.

Not bothered about make or colour (although anything other than white would be a bonus). Diesel preferable. Decent cabin, with seats for three.

Not bothered about panel damage/dents, as long as everything works and locks properly (seen a damaged Vito that I was told was ok, but neither side loading door would open).

Don't really have the time to trudge around looking, and have purchased many a vehicle here on trust-100% perfect.

Oh, budget up to around £3,000 tops- getting one for £500 would be better though!!

Beer tokens to anyone that can put me onto a suitable one. Based near that London, but travelling the length and breadth of the UK is ok too.

Thanks!!

What happened to your T5?  That was a nice van.

It was, but sold it as it was rarely used. One of the few vehicles I had made a good profit on after 3 years of use (VW Scene tax, innit).

Like the Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar as very low rear bumper. Aware of the gearbox issue, and found some good info on how to prevent the injectors getting seized too.

Ex royal mail transit? Guy I know takes motorbikes out to Northern Italy in the back of one all the time....he only paid £500 for that!

Not sure if they have aircon though....

Though....I saw a Chrysler Grand Voyager hooning down the motorway the other day - managed to make out three motorbikes in the back of if through the tinted windows!

That would be comfort and air con ^^ go for the 2.8 crd rather than the 2.5 crd... less problems

I was going to give the (admittedly biased) suggestion of an iLoad, as they are dipping into budget and all have air con.

E.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyundai-iLoad-2-5CRDi-116PS-ESP-Comfort/113304607003

But a little thirsty for a small van, and the third seat up front not really suited to a long journey for an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at a few vans now and think (unless something else unexpected crops up) that my choice is down to the best Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar available, because the rear bumper is low and easier to load my bikes, and has a roomy cab. Not much price difference in something with a fair bit of panel damage and something straight, which is odd.

Not sure though on the engine-1.9 diesel that has a cam belt, or a 2.0 that has a cam chain. Anyone have experience of either engine? I know both have their foibles with the gearboxes and injectors, but anything specific to put one ahead of the other?

• 2 months later...

So, managed to find a Vivaro that ticked all the boxes, with good straight body, unworn interior and a full history within my budget. 12 months MOT, service and 3 new tyres.

Its got the 146 bhp 2.5 dci engine, and I've managed to average 39.8 mpg so far, which is pleasing. It is more comfortable, is quieter and drives better than the VW T5 I ran for a few years, so forget all the scene tax nonsense.

I've put it in the low cost, high liability thread because, well, Vauxhall.

It's really a Renault, so you need to list it twice in that category! I think 9surprise, surprise) that gearboxes and injctor/pump problems are the things to look out for with these. That said, pretty much everyone I've talked to who owns/ed one loved the way they drive.