2001/51 plate BMW 318i - we have a winner!

purplebargeken

Okay, battery back on and the car starts happily. It continues to rev slightly unsteadily at idle but is okay at any other level. 

Oddly the EML is on which it wasn't before.

I took pictures of the engine bay but they haven't stayed on the camera, I took some on the phone just in case. There are 3 small bore rubber hoses on something at the front of the engine, they are all perished. I'll try and show this on the picture if I can. Thingy encircled in red. 

There is a fine mist of burning oil at the rear of the engine, I am presuming this might be a result of a split CCV/PCV hose. Area is highlighted by the red dots. 

InkedIMG_20181103_122607017_HDR_LI_zpsvf

DSCN1832_zps9k6ev25p.jpg

Topaz blue M43TU 1.9.

Do not scrap this FFS. Spend 200 quid on getting it MOT'd and waft about in it. This is £600 with an MOT. Most E46's are rubbish, this one clearly isn't. It's probably the best car you own and it'll owe you next to fuck all.

Topaz blue M43TU 1.9.

Do not scrap this FFS. Spend 200 quid on getting it MOT'd and waft about in it. This is £600 with an MOT. Most E46's are rubbish, this one clearly isn't. It's probably the best car you own and it'll owe you next to fuck all.

THIS. 100%.

Seriously, if you were closer, I'd either buy it or help you fix it. This is the second bargainous estate car I couldn't buy because of distance.

Okay, cooler heads have prevailed. If anyone is able to take the work on at the barn then I am happy to pay a proper rate and so on. 

I've also emailed a couple of mobile mechanics and will see what they come back with. 

It's been a stressful week or so, apologies folks. 

I'm confused though... it's got a slightly lumpy idle, and needs an MOT. Perfectly drivable though?

Sounds like a normal old car. :-D

Have you taken it for an MOT? Most of the cars I've owned have had a slightly lumpy idle, apart from the Japanese ones. All of the BMWs!

Never had an MOT fail for a lumpy idle.

Have I missed a vital piece of information? :?

I'm confused though... it's got a slightly lumpy idle, and needs an MOT. Perfectly drivable though?

Sounds like a normal old car. :-D

Have you taken it for an MOT? Most of the cars I've owned have had a slightly lumpy idle, apart from the Japanese ones. All of the BMWs!

Never had an MOT fail for a lumpy idle.

Have I missed a vital piece of information? :?

It very narrowly failed its MoT on emissions and a handbrake needing adjustment. A week before the MoT it completed over 700 miles in a week down to and around Cornwall without missing a beat apart from the lumpy idle that disappears as soon as the revs rise about 100 over idle.

EML not an MOT issue for pre-2005 dervs iirc, so this one should be fine.

It’s pez, but sure the light would go off with reader, it came on for me a couple of times, once when I replaced the lambda sensor and one other with a trim fault, swapped maf and it went away again.

Are you put off getting this fixed and using it because of the badge stuck on the front?

If so I can understand. I don't particularly like Audi's, yet the ones I have do the job pretty well and aren't particularly needy. This allows me to focus on my older cars without worrying about fixing them. They're common enough with cheap parts and readily understood faults that most garages can deal with them without me having to fuck around with them.

I mean if you ignore the badge and concentrate on that it's a rear wheel drive, automatic estate with comfy seats, reasonable economy (probably same/better than your i10?) and decent place to sit, then it appears to be an excellent car for your needs. Just think of that big boot for transporting bits for you Toledo.