1997 Xantia TD £175

RobT

T is for Temptation, as written on the V5.

Unfortunately dirty dizzlers aren't my cup of tea, so this has to go. The looks almost make up for it, but not for me I'm afraid.

post-5013-0-96221200-1538927147_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-97818300-1538927232_thumb.jpg

But if diesels are your thing, then I'm sure you'll like it.

After buying it off barrett I got it MoTd (valid until 3rd September 2019), fixed the leaking return pipe, and the other day got the auxiliary belt done.

Reason for cheapness is secure in the MoT pass, I thought I'd have a poke at the OS sill. Oh dear, a six inch long hole appeared either side. Elsewhere is fine, but it's near the jacking point so maybe it's been lifted poorly in the past causing this to develop.

post-5013-0-72389000-1538927653_thumb.jpg

It's gaffer taped up for now to keep the crud out. I'd be tempted to just keep it like that for a while and drive the thing, it's got a ticket after all...with the large access point being available I sprayed Dynax S50 in and treated the rust with Vatcan.

The rest of it is presentable enough, and the interior is in good condition despite having 130k on the clock.

post-5013-0-22710000-1538928156_thumb.jpg

Heater fan works, as does the heater, clutch is fine, starts OK, and the suspension does it's thing without issue.

Brakes pulse a bit, could do with two tyres to make it WBoD compliant, and the driver's door lock gave up the ghost last week.

There's lots of history, and angle on here plus another PO spent a fair amount on it.

Rather unhelpfully I'm off on holiday for a week as of next Saturday, but there's no rush to move it on.

Surely Bramz will be along shortly, wasn't he after a decent diesel? This will fill at least one of those criteria. :)

In addition, very easy to work under on that grot once you jack the suspension into stilts mode...

He bought it off me...

If it helps, while I owned it, it had all six spheres and a hydroflush, rad, thermostat and cambelt. I still reckon it's all round the best car I've owned, but I didn't think it would get through an MOT with the crispy sill Rob has fixed and I decided to be sensible dad and get something with isofix and working air conditioning (obviously as I explained to my girlfriend, the fact the replacement had 210bhp was just a happy coincidence)

It got through the MOT I took it in for as well, they didn't even put it in the advisories. I would buy it back but really have decided to ultimately get a basic diesel for the commute, no point me having two LHM cars...

It is the best Xantia I have driven/owned. Only once let me down and it was a snapped throttle cable. Otherwise, got me everywhere with comfort and it's surprisingly refined for a XUD, very quiet on motorways. 

Blimey, I didn't expect so much interest! OK it's a cheap car but sometimes you never know...all PMs replied to now.

Just been out for a 60 mile pointless drive, just to make sure it works after the new belt was fitted. Passenger door lock has broken now, so it'll have to sit on the road unlocked. Atleast it's got the key pad thing. I get the feeling there will always be something with this car!

He bought it off me...

If it helps, while I owned it, it had all six spheres and a hydroflush, rad, thermostat and cambelt. I still reckon it's all round the best car I've owned, but I didn't think it would get through an MOT with the crispy sill Rob has fixed and I decided to be sensible dad and get something with isofix and working air conditioning (obviously as I explained to my girlfriend, the fact the replacement had 210bhp was just a happy coincidence)

It certainly has plenty of life left in it. barrett had a bearing and caliper replaced so we've all done our bit. As to me fixing the sill, I dug a hole and put gaffer tape over it, but if it's seen as a fix I'll take that!

Blimey, I didn't expect so much interest! OK it's a cheap car but sometimes you never know...all PMs replied to now.

Just been out for a 60 mile pointless drive, just to make sure it works after the new belt was fitted. Passenger door lock has broken now, so it'll have to sit on the road unlocked. Atleast it's got the key pad thing. I get the feeling there will always be something with this car!

I don't think I ever locked mine the whole time I had it!