Mason the 2nd *Collekshun approaching Monday 22nd June*

rantingYoof

Glad to see his in good hands, I look forward to owning it at some point...

For the brakes, I'd recommend cleaning the slider pins all round. My Audi was doing a bit of this, I found a sticky slider on the rear which was the cause.

• 4 months later...

So a quick update on this (no photos yet)...

• It's been in to my friendly mechanic to have the brakes looked over. Having spent more time investigating it myself, the judder is only really noticeable under lightish application of the brakes at a high speed, using the tip of your shoe rather than a fully-fledged pedal-stamp. However, having prodded about and put it on their machine, they've advised me that both its braking efficiency and balance across the axle is absolutely spot on, and in fact exceeds all requirements for the MOT. So I'm taking no action and monitoring this for the time being. I may instruct a slider-pin inspection/clean if it gets worse

• It's also been in to my friendly mechanic to have the power steering fluid changed. The steering was becoming quite groany and noisy when doing slower speed manoeuvres, and while a top up before Christmas certainly helped, my friendly mechanic inspected it and advised it was likely to be the original fluid and could do with a change. The total cost of the power steering fluid flush and replenish, along with the labour for the brake inspection mentioned above, was £130.

• Today it was with my friendly mechanic trying to diagnose a deepish creaking noise from the front end over undulating (or 'bouncy') road. The noise sounded like a dry or unlubed spring compressing or decompressing after being extended to its full length. Anyway, both my mechanic and a trusted friend of his spent a while going over everything, oiling up anything that looked dry, and concluded that everything is in excellent order and there are no reasons to be concerned.

The car is now on nearly 178k, and so this news is very much welcomed. Before BabyYoof arrives (in around five to six weeks  :shock:  :shock: ) my dad and I hope to tackle both the aerial and the CD changer. I'm looking forward to getting my music in it and working properly and taking it through the car wash...it's not had a wash since before it was kindly delivered to me by Sims.

If I decide it's going to be with me until it expires (hah!) then I might tinker with the idea of giving it a slightly better soundtrack. I don't think I want to invest the £hundreds needed on a fully bespoke stainless steel exhaust, but if I could find a photograph of the original Mason's set up (I'm hoping an underside photograph exists from Mr Hubnut's ownership) I may take it to somewhere local and basically ask them to do the same thing.

Watch this space for an aerial-change/CD player fix update!

Mason had a brake wobble, and an occasional squeak. I just drove about like a captain of industry and ignored it:)

Good work on having it looked at it, and even better that there seems to be nowt really wrong.

Maybe douse some of the front suspension bushings with spray grease? Seems a common fix for Alfa front wishbone squeaks (officially the most annoying car noise in the world!)

• 2 months later...

Quick update...

Recent happenings include...

• Aerial is now 'fixed'...actually what we've done is the same as a 'tax window' in a house, by putting in an 'aerial' which is not wired up or connected in any way inside the car, but gives the impression from outside that it has an aerial
  • CD changer changed, so I now have music! Aaaaah that sound system is stupidly good. While admittedly quite fiddly, taking the entire dashboard to pieces is surprisingly easy
  • New brake discs/pads at the front to tackle the wheel vibration under braking, which was getting steadily worse (£256 all in)
  • Two new rear tyres, which had become veeeeerry close to being illegal (£190ish all in)

And today, I treated it to a wheel refurb and re-lacquer, and I couldn't be happier with the result!

1987777668_SexyWheels.thumb.JPEG.2b658ed3e8863812c82e8f2a8f3bb4da.JPEG

Hub caps were still drying so collecting those tomorrow. However, I quite like the above look...changes the appearance of the car quite dramatically!

Next on the list is the exhaust...just got to find a local company which can talk me through sensible* options.

And here it is with centre-caps fitted...looks excellent I think!

1298634615_DarkWheels-1.thumb.JPEG.b9aa85969f25cbc5282acef972b17e2c.JPEG

1467118107_DarkWheels-3.thumb.JPEG.8cddee412770fac2db2d27dc6b82fe64.JPEG

123550333_DarkWheels-2.thumb.JPEG.262128a464114dcecca6266e7593d20d.JPEG

It looks like I need to budget £500 for a new exhaust. In the last three weeks I've spent £200 on new rear tyres, £250 on front discs/pads, and £330ish on the wheel refurbishment. The exhaust would bring total outlay to well in excess of £1000, which is a lot more than I've spent on any car in my life. 

Hmmmmmmm. What do my responsible* peers think I should do?

Do the exhaust the cheap way-delete the rear silencers and replace with a straight pipe? If you like it then spring for a proper system.

Masons exhaust sounded pretty bad by the time I got it, I'm pretty sure the high pitched whistle was related to it somehow.

The knowledgeable chap I spoke to suggested replacing the rear silencers with two new boxes which could be tweaked to make a sound that was sportier but which also would avoid creating a drone at 70mph.

While the LS400 in that video of Supernaut's sounds insane, I don't want replace Modified Astra Guy as the anti-social car owner in the street. :-D

It can be a bit "suck it and see" with exhaust note, I had a V6 Vectra with a decat, middle box removed and just a empty back box on it, which was actually really quiet on the motorway but burbled and popped nicely the rest of the time. I would never have thought it til I tried it, was a big relief to me as motorway speeds were where it spent most of its running time.

It's always an interesting question with exhausts how they will behave at speed. 

The baffle-free eBay special on the van does a passable impression of a WWI era aircraft during acceleration, but above 60mph (she sits most happily at around 65 on the motorway) it's pretty much silent...so what could have been massively annoying is instead hilarious.

The stock exhaust on the Saab used to howl at exactly 75mph so it used to be a useful sort of audible cruise control...

• 1 month later...

Some new photographs of a very shiny car...(quite old now, as it presently looks mucky!)

1483406342_ShineyCar-1.thumb.JPEG.881831d29a83c83955b95e3904b6729e.JPEG

803812741_ShineyCar-2.thumb.JPEG.76028c416248eab73c0e2fc9889c6424.JPEG

766773026_Awesomewheels.thumb.JPEG.3cdcea2793f8d0ee0ccd48f8a2673751.JPEG

The front brakes are squealing, a new shim kit should be going on soon to stop that. Need to get the rusty arch looked at, too.

We're going to see how it sounds with rear silencer deletes and straight pipes first (cheaper option) and if I think it's too obnoxious it'll get two new boxes (expensive option)