Under (fuel) pressure...

Crispian_J_Hotson

Looking to replace the worn 3 bar regulator on the 635, but what with? This part is probably the only bolt on bit that I haven't replaced. A simple suck test on it reveals a taste of fuel vapour which means not only will the pressure be a little down but it is chucking vapor into the vacuum line and adding it to the intake after the metered air has been pulled in, causing minor* running issues. It uses this type which appears to have been mainly hoarded in the USA only.

post-24545-0-44942400-1538168703_thumb.jpg

Now I don't mind paying the price of a shit car for one as I need it but for the money, is there a better thing out there? There are some adjustables floating about on the bay and the like, like this:

post-24545-0-05050300-1538169050_thumb.jpg

Or there are those 'universal' things which seem more of a pain in the arse to securely fit on the 635's set up... I don't know.

I also don't know what's best (hence my enquiry) and what are the better (or worst) makes out there.

I'm trying to avoid second hand. Done that, very rarely is there a long lasting resolution. In fact, when I threw on a second hand regulator, it shat itself after 50 miles forcing me to put the old one back on!

Give direction plz.

I had an Alpha adjustable (bosch / VW derived) one on my fuel injected Scimitar for a while and it seemed to do the job ok. The bosch derived design seems popluar and a number of aftermarket regulators seem to use them.

This kind: https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/alpha-adjustable-fuel-pressure-regulator-240029/

I came close to replacing this with an aeromotive type:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/aeromotive-efi-bypass-fuel-pressure-regulator-255241/

However in my appication bulhead mounting isnt really desireable and in the end I came across a Jenvy which will use my existing adjustable bosch pressure regulator in a different body:

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/fuel-pressure-regulators/pressure-reg-housing-94mm-rh01

The new body is going to allow me to mount directly to the fuel return and avoid bulhead mounting entiely.

If I were in your position I'd be looking for a bosch based aftermaket regulator, either varieable or fixed.

I have used one from Demon Tweeks very similar to the one you show in the past, the only slightly tricky bit for me was getting itbset right as you need a way to measure the pressure if your system is a bit picky of delivery pressure. I contacted the company (sadly cant remember their name but be able to did it up) and they were brilliant, I sent it to them and they set it for me and returned it within a couple of days. Never had a problem with it after fitting.

Jesus heck! Well, I'm trying to find an original, I keep getting to order from the States on the sites and then there's a problem with delivery... i.e. they don't have one in stock even though they say they do. Dead adverts, no stock, brexit... well, not that but it's a proper mission!

I got a couple of second hand units under the radar, one needs some questions answered first though as the ad is sketchy. I can* apparently get a new 2.5 bar one but it's not what is on there even though it lists as fitting. Don't know what difference .5 of a bar will make? I'm going to cross reference the part numbers now with other car manufacturers... computing...

I can't find an operating pressure on those? I think I've got one from the UK! Near on a wunner though and it's Pierburg but operates at 3.0bar found through searching for Holden parts (VS 181 82). Bosch stopped producing these in 2016 and there are no alternatives in their range.

I recently replaced the FPR on the Volvo, in the end I bought a used part as the originals cost a fortune.

The upshot is it looked identical to the one you've posted and was also 3 bar...

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/engine/fuel-mixture-formation/injection-system/injection-pump/fuel-pressure-regulator-0-280-160-294/1021509/?bi=f5e63bb280e6636c01b13af9d55c458b

I'm pretty sure I read on 'Turbobricks' that they're cross compatible with the ones fitted to BMW stuff of this era, part number looks similar too so I wouldn't be surprised.

Nah, it is a company posing as a UK car parts firm which trades under another name which is actually an online tyre supplier firm with a dead phone line and fictitious UK trading address because it actually is a company based in Germany who have a shocking track record for customer service and producing results.

I've lost my money haven't I?

Well they have acknowledged the issue, the order number is real and they issued a 'credit note'. I rang Germany after much web searching and they don't recognise the 'credit note' and say a refund will be put on the card today, "it's gone to accounts Kamerad".

Some of the reviews say that this is a good old swerve tactic they use, including 'it's been done, check your bank'. I told them that their reviews were shocking and asked if this is something that I'll be wasting hours of my life on over the next few months. 

Good grief.

I recently replaced the FPR on the Volvo, in the end I bought a used part as the originals cost a fortune.

The upshot is it looked identical to the one you've posted and was also 3 bar...

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/engine/fuel-mixture-formation/injection-system/injection-pump/fuel-pressure-regulator-0-280-160-294/1021509/?bi=f5e63bb280e6636c01b13af9d55c458b

I'm pretty sure I read on 'Turbobricks' that they're cross compatible with the ones fitted to BMW stuff of this era, part number looks similar too so I wouldn't be surprised.

Cor, that's bang on ain't it, you used that site? I noticed it's another based in Germanland shop (see above) Cheers.

Nah, it is a company posing as a UK car parts firm which trades under another name which is actually an online tyre supplier firm with a dead phone line and fictitious UK trading address because it actually is a company based in Germany who have a shocking track record for customer service and producing results.

I've lost my money haven't I?

Well they have acknowledged the issue, the order number is real and they issued a 'credit note'. I rang Germany after much web searching and they don't recognise the 'credit note' and say a refund will be put on the card today, "it's gone to accounts Kamerad".

Some of the reviews say that this is a good old swerve tactic they use, including 'it's been done, check your bank'. I told them that their reviews were shocking and asked if this is something that I'll be wasting hours of my life on over the next few months.

Good grief.

Maybe do a Chargeback??

I've done a bit of digging on these.

Intermotor list a 3 Bar part regulator, part number 16519 that's compatible for my 940 turbo, when I spoke to them 3 months back they were out of stock and were the only UK manufacturer still making an equivalent FPR to suit the old Volvos. I spoke to them again this morning , they've produced some more and Ebay sellers now seem to be listing them again :)

Here it is for £36.10, I've just ordered one as a spare as they seem to be a hen's teeth job with most places out of stock....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intermotor-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Part-No-16519/191710162111?epid=1442093090&hash=item2ca2d0ecbf:g:cGoAAOSwnHZYmSuZ

And the same part although slightly more expensive this time but including a list of cross compatibility....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pressure-Sensor-16519/311675800866?epid=1626621584&hash=item4891534d22:g:xeYAAOSw-itXr200

ALFA ROMEO: 76777980

BMW: XX XX 1 709 907

FIAT: 76777980

IVECO: 7677798

LANCIA: 76777980

RENAULT: 77 00 747 543

SAAB: 75 80 160, 758 016

VOLVO: 3517064

BOSCH: 0 280 160 258, 0 280 160 294

CITROEN/PEUGEOT: 1563 99, 96 008 217, 96 045 186

LUCAS CAV: FDB1018

EURO CAR PARTS: 430660060

Only six left across the two listings though so if you feel like chancing it/the BMW numbers marry up then probably better to get one bought sooner rather than later.

I've just bought two. On the listing it shows the 258 Bosch which is on it. I owe you a drink mate if it works. My second hand one grenaded immediately, pissing fuel from the seal on the body. I appreciate your work, it can be a mind bender bender searching for the obsolete!

post-24545-0-73332300-1539200912_thumb.jpg

They're here... Looking good too (dodgy 2nd hand one on left for comparison). I shall be stashing one in my secret parts hoard. Looking to try and sneak home early one day this week to fit it i.e. before it gets dark!

Got refunded on the broken 2nd hand one I got and the 'German' one I didn't get! 

Mine turned up on Monday but will go straight into the spares stash (Glad I'm not the only one who does this) as the used one I fitted seems to be working well...As it happens the esoteric Volvo based running issues I experienced weren't actually down to the fpr after all so the original was probably fine too.

As such I've now foolishly created a situation where I've got 3 working fpr's in stock including the one one the car. At least I've got my bases covered.

The Intermotor part looked well made when it turned up for whatever that's worth, I'd be interested to know how you get on with it...

I shall tell you.  :mrgreen:

For those prices, you can't not buy them. The luck I have with used stuff is no good and I'm still managing to avoid getting stuff from the states. I just need Wallothnesch (old BM parts supplier in Germany... who deliver) to up their game and sort their prices out a bit!