What Shite Did You Take Your New Born Home In?

warren t claim

Same car as he was conceived in (which could be another thread that needs starting)

it was 1974 and the car was PDB331H, a mk1 Triumph 2000 with rattly big ends but comfy red leather interior.

15409014419_4005e92f62_z.jpg

1969 Triumph 2000 Mk1 by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Somehow an ex company-director's car from Denbeighshire (wherever that was) ended up in Kent.

My eldest in 1988 was picked up in C428 TLY , a dark red 1800 L Carlton. It was slow but I loved it, because it could be sideways everywhere when a bit damp.

Next one 1990 in G170 UTM, a white 740 GLE saloon, It was a funny spec with Turbo wheels and optional Aircon and a massive long range tank that took up a lot of the boot. From memory the person who specced it could have had something from the next company car grade up, but wanted a Volvo so ticked random options up to a price.

1993 and my third came home in style, J608 SPG, which was a lovely 4.0 manual XJ6, loaded with options including Sport Pack with 16" lattices. Probably my favourite Jag, I was quite upset when it was rolled up into a ball by a moonlighting traffic copper , definitely not* racing my mate Paddy one night a few months later whilst acting as security chase car to his LS400. Luckily after dropping their Principle off, Paddy reckons he was doing about 130 when the Jag came past him and dissapeared into the distance on the A5 near Weedon.

Glad I wasn't working that night as being young and stupid I d probably have followed him through the hedge!

1997 and for my fourth it was back to my own cars as I'd given up work. I knew I'd need a 7 seater so in the last couple of weeks of Mrs N's pregnancy I bought a 505 Family in 2.0 pez auto flavour, a 2.0 VdP Montego Efi and an Audi 100 Avant with the factory rear facing seat, she of course hated all 3. They were all on the for sale list and for the life of me I can't remember what the nipper came home in. It was probably my F plate 2.0i Ghia Granada.

post-17414-0-71948000-1538128199_thumb.jpeg

Thanks God you thought wrong and only very few misguided nouveau riche chavs opted for it.

Who in his right mind wants to sit on something only suitable for servants?

For leather you had to go to the very top of the range, the Ghia X Executive:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/41726667241/in/album-72157692843332562/

My eldest was not mine at the time (stepson), so I've no idea. My two came home in a Landrover Discovery 2 Td5 and a Citroen Berlingo Multispace respectively. I still own the Disco, the Berlingo was written off a few years back.

I was brought home from the hospital in a Mk1 Triumph 2000 estate, which unfortunately is long gone.

I know which of those three I would drive given the choice.

My now 5 and 2 years olds both came home in my Xantias. For the third child due in November I look forward to using the very family friendly* Saab convertible.

Alhambra was awful so only lasted 3 weeks. Wife's mini was sadly not big enough, so was changed for 3 306s over about 5 years. Brilliant cars

post-26073-0-40927100-1538129649_thumb.jpg

I thought electric leather was mandatory in Ghia X spec?

The Ghia X always had ' Chatsworth' velour as standard, same as regular Ghias, leather was optional but expensive and quite rarely specified. It was an entirely different seat with almost separate cushion bases that were incredibly fragile and poor wearing, so unlike with other cars people didn't bother to swap it into non leather cars later in life. In fact the only facelift Mk2 I've owned with leather had the simpler pre-facelift seats, taken from a Sapphire.

The Ghia X Executive which was loaded with options and two tone paint as a special run out edition came with leather or velour , but I don't think they sold many, I've only seen one in the flesh

I'll get me coat...

.post-17414-0-98741400-1538129690_thumb.jpeg

With apologies to ADW1977, didn't see your post.

No kids as yet, any that do come along will be treat to a ride home in the duster.

Father LabRat brought me home in a kermit green Talbot Alpine with a black vinyl roof and by the time my brother came alone, he'd upgraded it to a Talbot Tagora.

Little wonder i feel right at home here.

It was meant to be a 99 Alfa 166, that is what we rushed to hospital in....  it wanted to stop about 4 miles shorty of hospital, I didn't let it so it got us there but was taken away on a low loader... once wee one was safely out, I bought an autotrader and got a taxi to buy a Saab to take us home in.... 

Little Miss Kabman (now 13) came home in a 1968 military VW Beetle. It was the only car we had with more than two seats. The knobbly tyres and beefed up suspension were not appreciated by Mrs Kabman and her recently stitched nether regions. It was decided I should buy a modern, sensible, family car. Cue one Nissan Pao.

3 kids 3x 504.

I have to admit that i missed my son's birth asleep in a 504. It was a long day, i was tired, it was hot in the clinic and doctor said at least another 3 to 4 hours to go. 

So i stepped out to have a quick nap in the car parked just outside. Comfy 504 folding seat quickly made me sleep very deep.

Of course the boy was in a hurry and the receptionist whom i told where to find me was not asked when they started to search for me. Woke up an hour late.

Not quite shite, but,In 2006, I picked up my oldest (now) from the hospital in...A 1998 R reg Mercedes E240 Avantgarde....Man, I loved that car.

My youngest this year was ...a 2005 vauxhall astra 1.6...reliable enough car, but shite. The Astra has since been replaced by a Honda CRV 2.0 I vtec...

I don't intend to be picking up any more newborns in the Honda,I'm getting the snip.

First one was picked up from Lewisham hospital in a 1985 VW transporter, which refused to start for some time when we went to leave the car park. It and I were both threatened wildly by my wife.

Number 2 got collected in the same, but with new engine and slightly higher reliability. (on the day anyway, still FTP at least once a week). Much huffing from the hospital about its lack of safety features, at one point they were refusing to release her, but as I pointed out, this was my only vehicle and would be how she was going to be transported all the rest of the time anyway.

Number 3 got the luxury* of the 6 month old C3 Picasso as paid for by a works car allowance. No huffing hospital, no FTP, but I still don't like it.....