Any opinions on the Volvo S60?

carlo

Not overly keen on diesels but...

I’ve had two D5s and agree with all the comments about legroom and turning circle and the need to change auto box oil regularly. However there is a distinct difference depending on year; my first was a 2006 E4 version, 185hp with a DPF and although it went like a rocket, the soot filter hastened the motor’s demise. However that was at nearly 300k miles. My current one is a 2005 E3 version which, cruicially, has no DPF. The engine and turbo management is a bit more basic, not as quick as my previous but it feels like it will go on for a long time. It is averaging 52mpg in mixed motoring.

Squirrel2

Just to add to this, I currently have a 2004, 54 plate T5 (2005 facelift model) 6 Speed manual. It is a very very strong pulling car....3rd gear acceleration is rather addictive & it pulls like a train.

Weak points on the petrol turbos, the PCV System, it has a canister under the inlet manifold, this collects all the oil gasses & residue & then recirculates it. Saves it just burning out the exhaust. However, this is often neglected as the cars get older, & the pipes into the canister & the canister itself block up with thick, hard oil & carbon deposits...this in turn causes the engine to produce back pressure, which in some circumstances pop's out the dipstick due to the pressure. Look up volvo t5 pcv replacement on you choob, very good videos on how to replace it & what it does & how to test it with a glove.....it affects all the 5 cylinder turbo models. If ignored for long enough..it can blow the rear crankshaft oil seal etc.

I have the whole new PCV System for mine,cost £110 off of eBay.

Also....suspension bushes...they like a suspension bush or 2.

Turning circle like the QE2...Annoying at times. Mines has the 18" split rim bbs wheels, looks lovely.

Very comfy & solid feeling. & the sound of the 5 cylinder from 3000rpm onwards is lovely.

I like my Volvo...despite it needing some TLC, I am looking forward to getting it how it should be. Oh..it has covered nearly 150,000 miles now & could easily do that again.

Overall....it is my first ever Volvo & I am happy with it. Also..the alarm siren message pings up on mine...I just ignore it.

Just to add, late 2004 facelift model T5's have 260bhp standard & I believe that they re-map rather well.