Any opinions on the Volvo S60?

carlo

Hi gang.

Went to look at a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T petrol geartronic today and have to admit I'm sorely tempted.  Does anyone have any opinions/knowledge of these beasts?  I know it should be fairly cheap.  

I understand the throttle bodies can be a problem on them, this one had it replaced six years ago and idles smoothly.  Seemed to go very well too, though no doubt a lot more potential trouble than the 405.

Cheers.

Don’t discount a diesel auto purely on terms of performance...the D5 really is a nice engine. 163bhp as standard against 170bhp on the petrols but so much more torque and they’ll comfortably remap to 200+ with no decrease in economy or reliability.

I’m on my third D5 now, having taken both previous ones up to around 300k miles on routine maintenance. In my opinion, they’re one of the better oil burners out there.

Firmly with you on the green pump.  The D5 is a decent engine but if you don't like diesel, you don't like diesel.

I've had a few. Volvos of this era have all the messages of the day built into the trip computer (nightmare for us car traders) so if there are any transmission issues or the likes, you'll know clear as day.  Also note that these messages (it'll say something like SERVICE TRANSMISSION) can relate not only do a routine service being due, but also a fault in that particular system.  I had an XC90 T6 displaying that exact message, like a fool I ignored it, it then become TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT and a few days later it lost fourth gear.

Throttle body issues you've already outlined.  The climate system isn't the best, check it blows hot and cold.  Also check for an intermittent ABS pump vibration through the brake pedal, it'll mean it's on it's way out.  

Lastly, it'll 99.99999% say SERVICE ALARM SYSTEM on the dash.  Unlike the transmission service, this doesn't mean a specular exit for the car, just that the backup batteries in the alarm siren have failed.

Fair enough...I didn’t realise there was anything between the 170hp and the full blown T5

They are a competent car all round. The turning circle is a bit pants due to the transverse mounted straight five cylinder and there isn’t as much interior room as the size of the body suggests but those bits aside, they offer good value for money whilst retaining a hint of individuality.

I had a D5 manual for a couple years. When you start getting lots of error messages on the computer things get messy. I had to ditch mine due to ABS problems. You are very likely to see an alarm service or airbag service message. Alarm is just the battery on the siren. Very good to drive, very solid feeling. I would also add to the previous comments that power steering racks are a weak point and often leak. If it were me I would only accept a petrol if it were a T5, I’m happy to pay extra for petrol as long as I get lots of performance.

I had a 2.0T SE in manual form for over two years.

• Petrol engines are all turbo-charged (except the bi-fuel one, don't buy this), and are strong, torquey and will average 30mpg over a mixed tank
  • 2.0T is 180hp, 2.4T is 200hp and 2.5T is 210hp, all basically 150/170hp engines with light-pressure turbos designed to swell this up and shove you along mid-range
  • Manual gearboxes are a bit notchy, Geartronics come with the usual range of problems if the fluid hasn't been flushed every 70k or so
  • Turning circle is shit
  • Rear legroom is pretty shit
  • Boot opening is awkward, boot size is okay for a saloon
  • The facelift models from 2005 onwards are more reliable, and are less prone to the ETM and dashboard-death issues that plagued older models (both of which introduce megabills)
  • A good one will auto-choke at 1500rpm for a short while and settle at around 550-600rpm, and should be smooth enough to make you question whether the engine is on
  • Solidity and finish of dash and surrounds are excellent, high quality and generally feel like it'd survive testing at Bikini Atoll
  • Leather is hardwearing
  • Seats are amazingly comfy, as usual
  • SE spec gives you faux-steel-effect trim instead of faux-wood and is better in my opinion
  • Heated seats are a must, try to avoid black leather as it bloody hurts in the summer
  • Cambelt intervals on the 2.0T and 2.4T are 90k/9 years if I recall correctly, on the 2.5T they're much less - 40k or 4yrs I think
  • If you buy a D5, buy one with a high mileage, as in, average 20-25k per year...the higher mileage ones generally never go wrong, anything with an average mileage or less than 10kpa will give you no end of troubles

Some of these statements come from two years of observing/reading the Volvo S60/V70 Faceache group page as well as my experience.

I had one four years ago. It had 156k on when I bought it and it was a 2 litre turbo petrol. It was absolutely solid as a rock in terms of trim, bodywork, paint, electrics etc. However, watch out for suspension knocks. They are heavy front wheel drive cars and they need a regular suspension refresh. Also, whe you test drive listen for a whistle sound which increases when the brakes are operated. The brake servo can leak and it is difficult to change on a RID model. In addition, it is a Volvo only part and so pretty expensive, about 250 to 300 pounds as I recall.

I've a mate with a D5 that has been an absolute nightmare.

Cannot get it to run right, is super sensitive to all sensors, 1 tiny thing off and it refuses to work and can't get it scanned without volvo specific code reading at main dealers,

Any half decent scanner will interrogate all the modules successfully...worst case, £80 will get you a Vida clone that will give you full coverage and coding apart from software updates.

The problem is there’s not as much of a ‘scene’ with them unlike BMWs and VAG stuff hence when something goes amiss, it can be harder to ‘google repair’ but in over 3/4 of a million miles of driving them and many years of recovery and roadside patrol, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I’ve come across one that has been immobilised.

Although it’s got far more than it’s fair share of, shall we say ‘characters’, the Volvo owners club forums can be a valuable technical resource.

I would agree with going for an auto as long as the gearbox is behaving itself.  I had a T5 manual and whilst a lovely thing to drive in most respects (and bloody fast), the slow clunky gearchange did spoil it a bit.

Otherwise agree with what others have said - shit turning circle and crap rear legroom, but comfortable and lovely engines.

To add to the comments about suspension disintegrating...this is very true, but mine appeared to have been gifted with new suspension bits at the front just before I bought it as my friendly mechanic insisted everything was very clean and sorted.

This didn't stop it making clunking, knocking and general noises that usually indicate something is flailing and about to come off.

Volvo suspension is difficult to interpret.

And I really would be careful with the Geartronic. A proper giffer-spec FSH garage-stored average mileage example does not save the Geartronic, in this case, if the ATF has never been changed. If it's done over 100k with no evidence of changes, then change it immediately.

If it's shunting/hunting/banging into gears already it's too late.

As above; rear room is abysmal, Queen Mary turning circle, ride not great on Sport models. Superb seats. Incredible build quality - The Germans wish they could build cars this well. Build quality in terms of how strongly they are made, not dash plastics. Engines and manual boxes cannot be broken - it's just not possible. I had a 2007 2.4D for six months and it was superb.

Also not bad to work on - cam belts aren't bad. Steering rack? They can leak but mine didn't at 160'000 miles.

As above; rear room is abysmal, Queen Mary turning circle, ride not great on Sport models. Superb seats. Incredible build quality - The Germans wish they could build cars this well. Build quality in terms of how strongly they are made, not dash plastics. Engines and manual boxes cannot be broken - it's just not possible. I had a 2007 2.4D for six months and it was superb.

Also not bad to work on - cam belts aren't bad. Steering rack? They can leak but mine didn't at 160'000 miles.

Amusingly at the time of release I believe Volvo pitched the S60 as a FWD alternative to BMW's 3 series in respect of handling and the driving experience.

While it's still right to tilt your head and go 'awwww, how cute' to this, what they didn't realise was that, in terms of bodywork (i.e. galvanisation) and mechanics, they'd built something that would genuinely give them something to worry about.

Yo Carlo, I’d recommend a D5 as I’ve been well impressed with the one I’ve owned for 5 years now, it performs well and is frugal, it’s on 148,000 miles now though you would never know it. The Petrol engines are thirsty as a friend of mine found out when he bought a petrol engined V70 wagon after driving mine but didn’t keep it 6 months due to poor fuel consumption.

Down sides, dreadful steering lock, lack of rear legroom and some of the interior fittings are not the best quality. If you get an auto get the gearbox oil changed!....