Best car in the world?

The Reverend Bluejeans

Ive never owned a J type mk2 Cavalier although I've driven many. However as a progressive Fwd family car of the early eighties it was a very good car that in reality ran rings around its immediate rivals and predated the Sierra by over twelve months in the market place. It was built to its price point simple as that.

The E30 not only arrived later to the market place, the E21 still had a year or so to go when the Mk2 Cav arrived,and the four door e30 didn't even arrive until 1985. It was built in an era when Beemers really were Beemers..and therefore occupied a totally different elevated position in the market place,they weren't ever meant to compete with one another on price or quality. The Mk2 Cav was a great family car, the E30 a great junior executive sports saloon.

Both excellent cars in their respective categories for their era. I wouldnt say no to a tidy example of either as a daily,but neither would be on my best car list I'm afraid.

In 1984 my boss had a brand new BMW 3 series - gave me a lift in it.  The dash had bits of fag packets and match sticks stuck in a various locations.  I must've looked a bit sideways about this because he said "this is supposed to be a German quality car, but the dashboard has more creaks rattles and squeaks than anything I've ever owned before - I keep taking it back to the dealer but they can't fix it"

A few years later (1988) I got a promotion at (different) work and the boss said "congratulations you can have a BMW" - and I stunned him by saying I didn't want one.  I'd driven colleagues 3 series with concrete seats and two foot diameter steering wheels, offset pedals and gutless performance (he wasn't offering me one with the proper BMW 6 cylinder engine).

I got a Sierra XR4x4 that was one of the Sales guy's cast offs instead - great fun.  When it came to the end of its lease I got a brand new BX19GTI - not superior to the BMs but much faster than the BM I could have had instead and much much more fun. 

Horses for courses - but even then BMW "build quality" wasn't all that.

Didn't realise the Espero was already five years old by the time we got it in the UK!

I remember in school we had to design an advert for a local Daewoo dealer and the winner would get their design used in their marketing. I did a natty design involving a Lanos. There was a beehive involved somewhere, if I recall correctly.

...I didn't win.

I got a Sierra XR4x4 that was one of the Sales guy's cast offs instead - great fun.  

They were good to be fair. But they were so badly made. I bought a 1988 Sapphire in 1992, four years old with 90k and you needed screen wipers on the inside. The thing was forever condensating, the heater was abysmal and the whole thing was a biscuit tin really. Both front calipers had seized as well. Not a bad car but not very good either - the earlier Sierras I had were much better.

Iirc XR4x4 V6's were Cologne built rather than Dagenham. Nothing a 325i Sport couldn't sort out though. 

In defence of the people picking Cavaliers or whatever - my uncle is lucky enough to own a few cars that could feasibly make this thread, but he's always said that most of them would be for sale at the right price. There's a few exceptions to that, but the only one that isn't for sentimental reasons is his R-reg E320 estate. He works from home, doesnt need a sensible car, but it's still the one he drives 90% of the time because its comfortable, quick enough, can be left anywhere and you can get three greyhounds in the back. He even failed to replace it with an E55, because he realised he'd lose his licence.

For Supernaut, here's his silly engined '57 Chevy 210 (not quite a Bel Air but it'll still set off car alarms when he drives past):

eqS8dAk.jpg

I want a Jaguar 5.3 Coupe. Alas, they're now out of my reach for a really good one.

That was kind of the point of the thread, alas. You didn't get it, but that's fine.

I did. I suggested a CX.

There is a bit of a superiority complex running through the thread though. The point I was making was ‘the best car in the world’ is purely subjective. To a Welsh hill farmer a Subaru Brat Pick up is probably the best car I’m the world.

For Supernaut, here's his silly engined '57 Chevy 210 (not quite a Bel Air but it'll still set off car alarms when he drives past):

My 56 (project) is a 210 - it's only a trim level designation - you could have the biggest engine (and dealer fit performance stuff) on the 150 (base model).  All the Bel Air adds is fancier trim and interiors. 

90% of the things a Discovery 300 TDi can do.

To be fair, most vehicles can do 90% of what another can. It's only the 10% that makes a particular vehicle special.

I'm stunned at some of the humdrum bollocks that is in this thread. Metros? Cavaliers? fuck me. This is money no object beautiful ridiculous dream cars. Yes, I've had a MK2 cavalier and it was an *excellent* car. Loved it. Money no object, not a chance. CXs are in the same category.. I've had 5 of the fuckers and they were all absolutely shit.

I'll have one of these, for the sheer lunacy of it:

post-3568-0-97703700-1537873821_thumb.jpg

Practical? Highly unlikely.

Economic? Not a chance.

Decent all rounder? No way.

But just look at it. I desperately want one and would use it every day, for everything.

Actually, I'd have an entire collection of cars with a huge variety. Given that I've dailied everything from a Fiat X1/9 to a Series 2B forward control Landrover, I doubt there's much that I would look at and say.. "mm, maybe that's not the right car for today".

But....but...you only need one!

Between the five of them there might have been one working car. The interiors fall to pieces, the engines were either pants or suffered OMGHGF, the bodywork rusts before your very eyes, the electrics are more on fire than not and they are a twat to work on due to compromised design.

About the only reliable part of any of mine was the hydraulic system, which is ironic as that's what put most people off them.

Another car I would desperately love to own, but it's never going to happen:

post-3568-0-64586300-1537875273_thumb.jpg

The original Range Rover is a beautiful bit of design work. Never intended to be, but it is. I've had three Range-Rover classics. Two 4-door models that were utterly rotten and a 2-door that was bought in 2001 for peanuts. It was also somewhat rusty and had a boat-anchor Perkins 4.236 engine in it (which now resides with drum up in Scotland). Kinda wish I'd kept it now as it would be Tax/MOT exempt this year.

I thought he had a 770K, the big bastard. Goebbels and Goering had 540K's I think. Lovely machines though. Unbelievable craftsmanship.

As the alternative to building it superbly was a nice vacation* on the Russian front, care and attention to detail was a priority.

*other 'wonderful' places were also available