ULEZ

purplebargeken

Euro standards have 2 implementation dates, one for new type approvals and one for first registrations, I guess to give manufacturers time to clear out old stock.

For eu6 diesel the date for new approvals was September 2014 but euro 5 cars could still be registered up to September 2015.

My new van is another example of this, 2009 was the date for euro 5 new approvals, the van is an early 10 plate but still euro 4 with no DPF.

Ultimately as people have said you need to go by euro/NOx standard on the logbook and look how many cheap shite euro 4 petrols are out there before deciding this is poor people being forced into new cars.

I cycle to work some days in a relatively low traffic area and the air around the traffic queues is pretty shit, this must be 100x worse in an actual big city and I can see why something must be done about it.

tfl sadly seem to make the public think this is all about money. £800 million for the new cameras has to be recoveted-and not sure what the money collected will be used to do to reduce pollution

£800m isn't the cost of the cameras, it's the total budget for anything to do with emissions in London for the next five years. It's the cost of the ULEZ, grants to taxi drivers to get them into ZEC cabs, upgrading every bus to euro 6 etc.

I've run the entire petrol fleet through the ULEZ checker (pointless checking the diesels...) and the only cars I have which are compliant are the floppytop Saab and the Volvo 164. :?

(Not that I ever willingly drive into the City anyway.)

Pez Euro 4 is type approvals from Jan 2005 and all registrations from January 2006, (undoubtedly with exceptions) so there is lots of bangernomics stuff around but core shite of the late 90s/early 00s may not be compliant. 

However, if the logbook has a NOx level and it's less than 0.08g/km then it may be compliant regardless of Euro status.

£800m isn't the cost of the cameras, it's the total budget for anything to do with emissions in London for the next five years. It's the cost of the ULEZ, grants to taxi drivers to get them into ZEC cabs, upgrading every bus to euro 6 etc.

Sorry I read this in one of the Red Tops a while ago, and therefore fell for their sensationalised summary of the cost. Think it would be better spent dropping the cost of public transport though, as my ticket cost was £6,000 a year. i never used it as I could do it for half of this on a motorbike (including costs for clothing, running costs, depreciation, etc.)

I agree living in London is crazy money but some poor sod on minimum wage has to pay £62.50 a week for a Honda c90 but the Saudis will be ripping up knightsbridge all summer in their supercars for free.

Nobody bought a diesel as an environmental friendly fuel , they were sold on 60mpg, free tax and £199 a month so people did the maths and thought free car which is what the government wanted, more short term tax, instead of £10 a week on fuel and £250 a year on ved we'll get £3000+ on every new car sold

I am sure loads and loads of people leased/ bought a diesel based on its emmisions output, rather than the things you state. Loads of solicitors sueing manafacturers on behalf of customers missold cars cannot be wrong, can they?Several people I worked with are going down this line - I very much doubt that ayy decided on buying their car for this reason, more so the colour, spec and cost. Immoral as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry I read this in one of the Red Tops a while ago, and therefore fell for their sensationalised summary of the cost. Think it would be better spent dropping the cost of public transport though, as my ticket cost was £6,000 a year. i never used it as I could do it for half of this on a motorbike (including costs for clothing, running costs, depreciation, etc.)

Aye. To my mind, the only way things like the congestion charge or the ULEZ work is if you make a commitment to ring fence the revenue and put it back into public transport, otherwise its pretty regressive.

I think it's easy to forget just how expensive any sort of fare subsidy works out though - it's costing TfL something like £650m in income just to freeze fares for four years rather than increase them with inflation. Combine that with Crossrail fuck ups and their grant being cut and they're really, really close to running out of money. No surprise they need to do something that covers its costs.

I think we’re forgetting that the Government and the people who come up with these schemes have absolutely no interest in the working man (or woman) or the person slaving away on minimum wage. They are interested in keeping people who have lots of money to spend happy and rich foreign investors. As demonstrated by the amount of foreign plated supercars driving about like its the Le Mans.

You can get a bus for anywhere in London (100 minute journey I think) for £1.60. This is free for elderly or those with a recognised disability.

If you believe driving is more economical and practical, you can switch to a ULEZ compliant vehicle for a £500 ebay purchase. Some people ride a bike or walk, which are essentially free.

Supercars etc pay huge amounts in purchase VAT, road tax and fuel taxes, and make their drivers look like bellends.

We all benefit from reduced congestion and less air and noise pollution.

I think this is all pretty fair.

I am sure loads and loads of people leased/ bought a diesel based on its emmisions output, rather than the things you state. Loads of solicitors sueing manafacturers on behalf of customers missold cars cannot be wrong, can they?Several people I worked with are going down this line - I very much doubt that ayy decided on buying their car for this reason, more so the colour, spec and cost. Immoral as far as I'm concerned.

The financial considerations will far outweigh the environmental ones for most people on a budget , those who can afford to pay will just pay it, there are cities in Europe that have banned older diesels altogether so why dont they just do that, problem of nox solved instantly but that's not going to pay for crossrail is it

They cant say they dont have the technology, ANPR is on every route.

They really need to do something about the school run, most kids live within walking distance of their school, mine walked the 1.5 miles each way every day, you can see how big a problem it is when it's like a Sunday morning on the roads during the holidays

Just paid £24 to TfL for the first time and it won't be the last , although I'm looking at replacing the Passat with something Euro6.

Although... The arse has fallen out of 2014/15 Merc E Class prices , as Uberists suddenly find themselves £24 per day worse off- remember they didn't even pay congestion charge until this week. As I'll just add the charge to my price for any London jobs, maybe I'll just get a Merc. BMW 5 Series' are compliant after 2013, not sure if the b47 is as much of a grenade as the n47 though and there aren't many 530's out there.

I need to work out how many times a year I go into Town and how cheap a Merc needs to be .

The problem is that at peak hours the public transport in London is already completely rammed.

There is no more room for more people to use public transport.

London used to be 6 or 7 million people and now it's 9 million isn't it?  Yet there are no more roads or rail lines than before.

What we needed is 30% corporation tax proportional to the number of employees a company has that are London based scaling down to zero corporation tax for employees in say the North East of England etc.

Although Brexit is worrying I was thinking that one benefit could have been a rebalancing of the economy away from London banks and more towards manufacturing etc.  The economy as a whole (and particularly London) would suffer but maybe it would be more evenly distributed.  We can't have the entire country only living in one city.

Recent public transport infrastructure in London has been the East London Line extension and upgraded North London Line creating an rail outer ring, together with the Elizabeth Line (which whilst delayed will come on stream in a year - the delay is caused by not the tunnels or tracks but the signalling equipment that has to run both on Railtrack lines and the separate Underground system which has caused big problems of implementation). The Jubilee Line has longer and more frequent trains. Buses have been significantly upgraded and speeded by going cashless. The Oyster has been rolled out on all public transport so 1 card for all modes. And the cycle hire has taken up some slack and of course cycle lanes have been put in. Car-wise the Blackwall tunnel is to have an extra two bores added to try to ease cross-river traffic...its a big bottleneck. That has approval its called the Silvertown Link construction starting soon. There is a further tunnel planned to take motorway traffic off the M25 and down into Kent downstream of the Dartford Crossing, planning for that is quite advanced.

Last year for the first time the number of journeys fell on the underground. Developers pay towards transport infrastructure when they put up buildings and Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) was partly paid for by a seperate levy on development paid for by the developer as a condition of planning approval.

All this talk of improving Public Transport is all well and good, but it must be remembered some people won't use it regardless. I know, I'm one of 'em !

I'll get on a plane if I have to, although within Europe I usually drive, but I won't get on a train, tube or bus. I don't like not been in control, I'm intolerant of smelly, obnoxious, loud or otherwise annoying people and I see no reason why I should mix with them from choice.

Thankfully there are a lot of people that feel like this, that's how I make living.

I live 50 miles north of Central London, if I choose ( more likely dragged, kicking and screaming) to go to a theatre in the West End, I can get in my car after the show and be home in an hour. The alternative involves a cab to trying to get a cab at the busiest time to Euston , hoping you catch a smelly overpriced train , avoiding fighting drunken wankers that are bound to do something to piss me off, then paying an extortionate amount toget taken home in a vomit smelling Prius . Oh, and I'd be lucky to get home within 2.3/3 hrs.

So to me it would be still worth driving if it cost £100 rather than £12 for an evening or weekend trip- no congestion or parking charges then.

I'm intolerant of smelly, obnoxious, loud or otherwise annoying people

My experience during normal working hours is that no one ever talks to anyone else.

A huge quantity of commuters have headphones in which reduces the chance of human interaction to near zero.

Last week a single central line train was cancelled and so the next one was so completely rammed that you could not move in any direction more than a few mm, and yet the train went along in total silence.

My experience during normal working hours is that no one ever talks to anyone else.

A huge quantity of commuters have headphones in which reduces the chance of human interaction to near zero.

Last week a single central line train was cancelled and so the next one was so completely rammed that you could not move in any direction more than a few mm, and yet the train went along in total silence.

Sounds wonderful

Last time I went to london was on the train about 7 years ago , coming home on Monday night there must've been 3000 people in euston station staring at the departure boards then a platform number came up and dozens of then started running

Fuck that for a life

Oh and on the 1st day of the long weekend we had to get a taxi euston to Earl's court as my wife cant cope with the speed of the escalators on the underground

We got in a black cab, set off, 2 minutes and he says

I carnt go fruit da centa og laaanndduunn cus veres a demunstrshun on so I gotta go raund

I sat there watching the meter click away in the horrific traffic until we got there

36 fucking quid , I couldve flown to Paris for that

I was expecting a kick in the nuts as well as he said welcome to London

Told the wife shes going to have to cope with the escalators because we're not getting in any more taxis

can confirm euston station is still like that LOL, (I wonder how that works, how they dont know what platform the train is showing up at until the last second, must be fun for the driver...)

but black cabs are awesome man!

the drivers always have some awesome story to tell or talk about :)

we never rode taxis often (because of the mentioned cost) but when we did/had to it was always a fun and enjoyable time for me at least :)

(especially if it was an FX4  :mrgreen: )

I live up north and for me it’s not worth driving into town. It’s like this, it’s £15 a week for the bus and it takes 45mins ish. Were I to drive it would be £30 fuel and another £20 minimum in parking for the week. And it would take me an hour at least. And I couldn’t go for a drink after work.

I live up north and for me it’s not worth driving into town. It’s like this, it’s £15 a week for the bus and it takes 45mins ish. Were I to drive it would be £30 fuel and another £20 minimum in parking for the week. And it would take me an hour at least. And I couldn’t go for a drink after work.

This is what I hated about living 60 miles from my workplace, I lost out on the social side of things, unless I didn't have any alcohol (but I like alcohol). Going out for a drink after work meant I'd miss the last bus from my local station, so that was a £12 taxi instead. Add that to the £26 rail fare, plus the bus fare (£4) and train fare (£26) the next morning.

If I had enough notice of an event happening, then I could book a Travelodge or Premier Inn that were close to work. This would always be cheaper that the train and taxi alternative.

On the plus side, riding to and from work always gave me a get out to avoid stuff I didn't want to go to because "I've got to ride home".

I worked with a guy a few years ago, went for a job it was say £5k a year more, so quite a bit more but not life changing. Anyway the commute involved a 5 days a week drive from Chesterfield to Werherby in Leeds, quite a commute in fact. Anyway he said at the time being on the road for 4 hours a day before and after work didn’t bother him. I’ve a feeling 3 months down the line his thoughts might have changed when he’s getting pale sweats when he hears the words ‘Chain Bar and Gildersome’ on the traffic report and he’s living on Greggs pasties in service stations.

Some of the road crossings under the Thames will help but some time before they come on stream. Lot of improvement to the A1 I saw when I was up there recently to N. of London.

This reminds me that one of my brothers, who normally works on posh Mayfair mansions fitting aircon in sub basement swimming pools and the like, had a week's work in Dulwich fitting out a house (for an English film star , who has never even seen the house apparently)

Anyway a week after the job his boss calls him absolutely apoplectic , two of them had used the Rotherite Tunnel every morning and evening in their full on Dubfastlanewanker spec ( silver, big wheels, black windows) Transporters ( ironic because the client is Statham) . So what? You might ask.

Since the end of Feb, vans are banned from the Rotherite Tunnel with a £50 penalty, so that's 2 vans twice a day for a week - £1000!!!