ULEZ

purplebargeken

Sorry, but that's not right. If it emits below the limit its allowed, regardless of when it was registered. See above for someone being allowed in with a Daewoo...

Is it a 1.6 or a 2.0 HDi? If it's a 2.0 then it's fine (try MV64VOO with TfL's website, to pick a random example on Auto Trader). If it's a 1.6 then NOx emissions are 114 g/km, so as per dieselassist's post, it won't be compliant.

This office we're refurbing is between the Shard and HMS Belfast, with a great view over the river to (left to right) St Paul's, The Walkie Talkie, London Tower, Tower Bridge and Canary Wharf. No doubt it's a very prestigious place to be. But if I were just an office dude sat at a pc, is it worth the time and costs of travel and the (probably) absurd rent and rates? I am a total country bumpkin though...

This has also just got the go ahead I believe too in Birmingham - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-44551122 which too knackers me as I regularly take the Sprinter right into central Brum!

James

This proper boils my piss

IF as they say it's about improving air quality they could (if it really was about public health) make a huge difference within a week if they removed the tolls on the M6 toll road so everyone not actually going to Birmingham can go round it so no stop start traffic for 6 hours every day

Just checked

2015 Mercedes diesel ulez charge

2011 fiat Ducato diesel ulez charge

2003 range rover diesel ulez charge

2018 5.0 V8 mustang that's in the highest tax bracket because of emissions , OK in you come , you must be loaded so you'll be spending plenty of money while you cruise about on empty roads with the poor people watching from the bus

I read today a Honda C90 now costs £62.50 a week so some poor bastard on minimum wage will be out of a job

Just checked

2015 Mercedes diesel ulez charge

2011 fiat Ducato diesel ulez charge

2003 range rover diesel ulez charge

2018 5.0 V8 mustang that's in the highest tax bracket because of emissions , OK in you come , you must be loaded so you'll be spending plenty of money while you cruise about on empty roads with the poor people watching from the bus

I read today a Honda C90 now costs £62.50 a week so some poor bastard on minimum wage will be out of a job

Emissions of different things though, VED is based on CO2, the ULEZ is based on NOx and PMs. To provide an alternative perspective - £600 Laguna V6 ok, mostly because its petrol. And any bike less than 12 years old will be fine.

On your M6 point, you might be right, I know the West Midlands mayor has said something similar. Unfortunately the government, in their infinite wisdom, set it up so the company that runs the M6 Toll can charge £whatever the fuck they want for 50 years and theres nothing anyone, including the council, can do about it...

Emissions of different things though, VED is based on CO2, the ULEZ is based on NOx and PMs. To provide an alternative perspective - £600 Laguna V6 ok, mostly because its petrol. And any bike less than 12 years old will be fine.

On your M6 point, you might be right, I know the West Midlands mayor has said something similar. Unfortunately the government, in their infinite wisdom, set it up so the company that runs the M6 Toll can charge £whatever the fuck they want for 50 years and theres nothing anyone, including the council, can do about it...

Yep, pricing motorists out of Birmingham and spending billions on an empty road that most plebs can't afford to use has got to be one of the silliest transport polices we've had in recent years.

Eagle eyed Autoshite users though who have written to their bank manager to allow themselves to use the road may have noticed one of the odder features of British motorways - the unfinished aqueduct intended for use as part of future restoration of some disused canal in the area:

aqueduct-2.jpg

I think we’re forgetting that the Government and the people who come up with these schemes have absolutely no interest in the working man (or woman) or the person slaving away on minimum wage. They are interested in keeping people who have lots of money to spend happy and rich foreign investors. As demonstrated by the amount of foreign plated supercars driving about like its the Le Mans.

I think we’re forgetting that the Government and the people who come up with these schemes have absolutely no interest in the working man (or woman) or the person slaving away on minimum wage. They are interested in keeping people who have lots of money to spend happy and rich foreign investors. As demonstrated by the amount of foreign plated supercars driving about like its the Le Mans.

That's... me, then.

Just to give you one example of why that might be utter chrome plated bollocks, I was down in Charlton last week for a site visit, on the A206. I have an atrocious sense of smell, but even I could tell that it reeked of diesel clag, as shown by the cars parked up on the side roads being covered in a thin layer of black crap. Its too soon to draw any conclusions yet, but the air quality monitoring kit we have out is currently suggesting that the air quality is something like 11 times over the legal limit.

And why was I there? It's the only place the council have any land to put a primary school. 850 kids worth, and they need it. Because the primary school on the same road, 500m away and with the air quality monitors saying has all the same issues, is full.

And just to check whether the only way around the ULEZ is to buy a Qatari-plated Pagani Zonda, I've just been on Auto Trader. Cars from 2001, petrol, less than a grand. I've got bored, but I've not found one yet that would be charged. Clio, Mini, Vectra, Rover 25, Amica, 206, Focus, Corsa, Scenic, Golf, Astra, X-Type all good.

My grandad owns a 2014 Citroen C4 Picasso diesel but because it's a pre 65 plate diesel it's automatically banned. It emits a lower level than the limit but just because it's a 14 plate it can't go into London.

Bloody ridiculous

You can just get the emissions data from the manufacturer and register the car with TFL.

Voila, no ULEZ charge.

That's... me, then.

Just to give you one example of why that might be utter chrome plated bollocks, I was down in Charlton last week for a site visit, on the A206. I have an atrocious sense of smell, but even I could tell that it reeked of diesel clag, as shown by the cars parked up on the side roads being covered in a thin layer of black crap. Its too soon to draw any conclusions yet, but the air quality monitoring kit we have out is currently suggesting that the air quality is something like 11 times over the legal limit.

And why was I there? It's the only place the council have any land to put a primary school. 850 kids worth, and they need it. Because the primary school on the same road, 500m away and with the air quality monitors saying has all the same issues, is full.

And just to check whether the only way around the ULEZ is to buy a Qatari-plated Pagani Zonda, I've just been on Auto Trader. Cars from 2001, petrol, less than a grand. I've got bored, but I've not found one yet that would be charged. Clio, Mini, Vectra, Rover 25, Amica, 206, Focus, Corsa, Scenic, Golf, Astra, X-Type all good.

I'll never drive into London in my life or any big city but I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd spent 30k on a government encouraged free road tax 70mpg diesel car and the answer to the ulez was a 10 year old corsa that I was encouraged out of 7 years previously

I'll never drive into London in my life or any big city but I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd spent 30k on a government encouraged free road tax 70mpg diesel car and the answer to the ulez was a 10 year old corsa that I was encouraged out of 7 years previously

Could you qualify that with examples? Just curious.

About 7-8 years ago I was delivering parts to a truck manufacturer, they were boxing up 7.5t trucks for weeks, loads of them

I asked what was going on , apparently they'd been stuck with a load of euro 3 engines when it changed to euro 4 so they were building 7.5t kits to send to Mexico, good job they're not on the same planet as us then

CY15NDL

That weird, I agree. I just tried two other random number plates of 2015 Mercedes B220Cdi's and they both complied. 

My understanding is I that any car made after 2007 legally must comply, so if you wanna drive in London, just contact the DVLA and they'll sort the blip. Your car must be euro 6, no? You only need euro 4 for the Ulez. 

The government (etc) were definitely arseholes for encouraging everyone to buy diesels.

It was always fairly fucking obvious that it was a bad idea though. Slightly less carbon vs more particulates etc. I dunno, to me it's always been a no brainer that diesel is not the answer to environmental concerns, so I have limited sympathy for anyone who bought into it as an environmentally friendly fuel.

At least now they've realised that breathing black soot probably isn't good for people's lungs, and are slowly getting them out of cities. From where I stand (and my viewpoint seems typical among Londoners) it's too little too late, but better than nothing.

it can't go into London.

The ULEZ is currently a small part of central London. And if your car's not compliant you can still go in, you just have to pay a charge.

Given the huge cost of everything in London, it's not that expensive. When I move out I'll probably occasionally drive a non-compliant vehicle in, and pay. Depending on where you're coming from, your mpgs etc... there's still a good chance that driving in will be quite a bit cheaper than getting the train, which sort of puts things in to some sort of context. I mean, if we lived in a properly progressive society and really wanted to make things better we'd make sure that driving was more expensive than using public transport. Either that or that the train was cheaper.

Sold that avensis i had up on here because of ULEZ and it not being compliant (2009 2.2 d4d which I believe was euro 5)

On a slightly different note, a documentary was suggested on youtube to me the other day that was all about the illegal importation of fridges and white goods to Africa. Those that put the documentary together cut the wires in the back of the fridge and placed a tracker inside. The law states over there that white goods cannot be imported if they do not work and so should be confiscated at the border....so are they? Of course not! Corruption corruption corruption....anyway I digress....

My reason for writing that is that they also tracked a TV too and an old Aiwa hifi system none of which worked and they ended up in what looked like a great big landfill site where kids were working setting fire to it all to expose the copper wiring and metals within.....plumes and plumes of toxic fumes being released continously.... then I thought about the increase in road tax on my Sprinter this year and the continous rattling on about emissions when you have other counties, well if you saw that....its on another level.... and they moan about a 2.0 diesel being more harmful than say a 2.2 fitted in the same vehicle by say virtually miniscule amounts.

As has been said before with emissions and whatnot, all that happens is the problem is simply shifted - export will only get stronger when you have all of the cars inside the North and South Circular being sold off and as more and more cities on the uptake of these ULEZ’s.

Eagle eyed Autoshite users though who have written to their bank manager to allow themselves to use the road may have noticed one of the odder features of British motorways - the unfinished aqueduct intended for use as part of future restoration of some disused canal in the area:

aqueduct-2.jpg

Yes, it's rare example of sensible forward planning! :-)

The Lichfield & Hatherton Canal Restoration Trust had it installed, as it was much cheaper (but still very expensive!) to do so as the road was being built, than try to put it in afterwards. More details at:

https://www.lhcrt.org.uk/

I obviously like driving old shitters, but personally I think driving a diesel in an urban area isn't the best idea.  That's the main reason why I didn't keep the gold Xantia dizzler of several shiters.  It drove great but the noise and clag just didn't sit comfortably with me.

Saying that, none of my current lot are ULEZ compliant so I'll just have to stay out of the south circular exclusion zone come April 2021.  My brother lives 1 mile within the zone so it'll give me a reason not to visit him, the miserable git!

I retired just 4 weeks before the charge started (coincidence? I think not!). My office was 200 yards into the congestion charge zone, and now the same

into ULEZ in Tower Hill.

tfl sadly seem to make the public think this is all about money. £800 million for the new cameras has to be recoveted-and not sure what the money collected will be used to do to reduce pollution

Something has to be done because this is what happens to the bike covers I use after 8 to 12 weeks. It was white. They stink, and are sticky to the touch, whereas 8 weeks before they smelt clean. No apologies for posting the photo again, as I think it demonstrates the issues rather well.

post-19526-0-13946400-1554850543_thumb.jpg

That weird, I agree. I just tried two other random number plates of 2015 Mercedes B220Cdi's and they both complied. 

My understanding is I that any car made after 2007 legally must comply, so if you wanna drive in London, just contact the DVLA and they'll sort the blip. Your car must be euro 6, no? You only need euro 4 for the Ulez. 

Euro 4 for petrol.

Euro 6 for diesel.

Most diesels before 2014 didn't comply and I am guessing those after must have the complex EGR systems which will be loads of trouble a few years down the road.

I just watched a mate trying to drop the cooled EGR out from underneath a VW Touran.  It's sandwiched between the block and the cat and you can't see or touch half of the bolts.  The unit is huge with both an electric and vacuum actuator on it.

The ULEZ is currently a small part of central London. And if your car's not compliant you can still go in, you just have to pay a charge.

Given the huge cost of living in london

I agree living in London is crazy money but some poor sod on minimum wage has to pay £62.50 a week for a Honda c90 but the Saudis will be ripping up knightsbridge all summer in their supercars for free.

Nobody bought a diesel as an environmental friendly fuel , they were sold on 60mpg, free tax and £199 a month so people did the maths and thought free car which is what the government wanted, more short term tax, instead of £10 a week on fuel and £250 a year on ved we'll get £3000+ on every new car sold

Given the huge cost of everything in London, it's not that expensive. When I move out I'll probably occasionally drive a non-compliant vehicle in, and pay. Depending on where you're coming from, your mpgs etc... there's still a good chance that driving in will be quite a bit cheaper than getting the train, which sort of puts things in to some sort of context. I mean, if we lived in a properly progressive society and really wanted to make things better we'd make sure that driving was more expensive than using public transport. Either that or that the train was cheaper.

For my commute the cost is about the same, though (luckily, I guess) the train is a fairly quiet service so I've always gotten a seat. On a good day driving up the M2 to the O2 is quicker but lol at expecting a good day on the M2/A2. It's 6:20 as I look and G-Maps already shows the Blackwell approach is effin-effed already.

I like the train. It's comfortable enough.

Given the huge cost of everything in London, it's not that expensive. When I move out I'll probably occasionally drive a non-compliant vehicle in, and pay. Depending on where you're coming from, your mpgs etc... there's still a good chance that driving in will be quite a bit cheaper than getting the train, which sort of puts things in to some sort of context. I mean, if we lived in a properly progressive society and really wanted to make things better we'd make sure that driving was more expensive than using public transport. Either that or that the train was cheaper.

For my commute the cost is about the same, though (luckily, I guess) the train is a fairly quiet service so I've always gotten a seat. On a good day driving up the M2 to the O2 is quicker but lol at expecting a good day on the M2/A2. It's 6:20 as I look and G-Maps shows the Blackwell approach is effin-effed already.

I like the train. It's comfortable enough.