Some more of my crud

Mr_Bo11ox

Hey all

As my work is dead today, i've been out into the carpark with my camera.

First off is the old Subaru 1800 wagon. I dragged this back from oxford a couple of weeks ago after winning it on eBay for £46. I am quietly amazed at how unrusty it is, compared to how it could be having had a few of these old crocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its had a couple of tiny bits of welding right on the back edges of the sills but thats about it. The sills themselves are mint. Theres a bit of grot at the lower edges of the front wings, but thats easily fixable.

Posted Image

The clutch is slipping but I have got a new clutch to go on. Its an engine out job to change but engine access is very good on these so it should not cause too much cursing.

Posted Image

One fault it has is an intermittently rattly tappet. sometimes the engine sounds great, other times it sounds like a horrible old D-reg cavalier with a worn out camshaft. It must have a dicky hydraulic tappet. I'm hoping that an oil change and maybe some snake oil engine flush will help, although to be fair the car does not seem terribly negelcted so the oil is probably not too bad.

Posted Image

Also in the car park is this, my 33 1.5 Ti. I bought this of eBay about 6 months ago and its sat here ever since. Its had one owner from new, 49,000 miles. It looked a lot brighter when I first got it but i'm sure a bit of polishing mop action will work wonders. Needs some welding on the rear of the sills but not bad from what I can see. Also it has had a few 'old boy' touch-ups here and there where he has applied the paint with a cupboard door. It runs smoother than one of these has any right to, I bet the carbs have never been touched from the factory. I have had one of these before too, a 1.7 and it was disappointing TBH. Pretty fast in a straight line but the handling was just totally average, loads of torque steer and wriggly steering wheel. I'm hoping that the 1.5 will be more 'of a piece' like an Alfa 75 TS. The Integra is all sorted now and is going in for a re-test tomorrow, after which the 33 will get its turn in the garage. l plan to use it as a daily as the Mazda 323 i'm currently using is jst a little too mind-numbingly boring to drive.

Bet that Subaru is a superb winter weapon, fantastic that it retains the wacky hubcaps too. Have a UK and Japanese brochure to scan, will do at some point! If I recall you could pay extra and get even more 4WD stickers on it.Watching it with interest.

• 2 months later...

Share my deep joy at the fact that the 33 has just passed its MOT test today, just short of a year that its been off the road. I've done some moderately serious repairs to the sills and fuel filler hole, plus assorted other bits like SH headlamp, brake fettling, new cam belts and so on. Now its looking tidy but very dirty after a couple of months in the workshop. Next job is a polishing mop attack, oil change and fit a better radio, and I should be set for FLAT FOUR MOTORING all the way, bring it on!

Posted Image

Nice cars, how many can you park there before they complain?

I got a sticker off fthe fuggin council for my Subaru. 'MOVE THIS CAR IN TWO DAYS OR IT WILL BE KRUSHED', they also sent me a letter by non-royal mail 2-day delivery informing me that if I had not shifted it within two days of the date on the letter (i.e. before the letter arrived) they would tow it! Clever twats.

• 3 weeks later...

On the road at last!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I drove this car in anger for the first time yesterday. Its pretty fast and sounds awesome, but after the 'precision engineered' feel of the Maz 323 (dont laugh!) this thing feels like driving a sack of carrot tops. I hope I will develop a karma with it as the miles progress, to be fair thats how its been with previous Alfas i've owned.

Looks brill Mr_B :D

Good work.Love the irony of "on the road at last" and then those pics... :D

Yes, but if he'd said "in a field" it wouldn't have been unusual for one of his fleet! :wink: My daughter's called Richard! WoW!

:? Kabooooooooom!!!!! My head's exploded.And, for the record, my name is NOT Richard. Nor is there anyone of that persuasion in my family. Thank you for your attention to this matter.Yours Sincercely, Ophelia Balls (mrs) :wink: