Jump to content
outlaw118

The grumpy thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chodweaver said:

bastard bastard bastard

After a very frustrating week trying to source a (used) load sensing valve for the Corsa of despair, I am now faced with the issue that the brake pipes going into it seem to be bubble flared, not double flared, and at least one of the unions I wrenched from the leaky old device need replacing (threads have been crossed, and I've cut it and old flare off the end of the pipe now anyway)

What sort of flaring tool do I have? Double flare only. I need a tool that makes bubble flares...

Aside from the cost of many bubble flare tools (£150+), can I find anyone who stocks them in the UK, and can get one to me within 48 hours? Can I fuck. Ebay UK helpfully shows me loads of 'from the United States' listings every time I search it, each with the proud note "[email protected]@@@k - we can get it to you fast and free in 7 days!" Seven days! Come on, make a fucking effort! I'm grasping at straws here now, wondering if 'bubble flare' is a septic-only term and I should be searching for 'ISO flare' or somesuch, but that just brings me up non-vehicle related plumbing tools....

bastard, bastard, bastard

Its a 4.75mm DIN flare I'm sure

flare-schematic-2.jpg[/img] 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bubble?

I used to call that a single flare.

We had a Sykes flaring tool and there were two dies.

One had a hollow kind of cup shape with a locating peg in the middle, the other was a conical shape.

The hollow one did a single flare and squash it out with the conical one for a double flare.

 

What sort of tool are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that piece of pipe above the pipe cutter single flared?

 

To get a bigger "bubble" have more pipe protruding from the clamp.

I'm sure with some experiments on some old / scrap bits you could get the end you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am awake at 3.30am, large doses of steroids and ravishing hunger after three days nil by mouth will do that to a man.

Depressions back.  Events of the last few days have put me on a high speed trajectory towards the ground but booked some therapy last night which my company medical pay for 100%.  Amazing.  

Folk who say my car will be written off, i think you are right.  The passenger door is proud of the rest of the car even though it is shut tight so I think the car is slightly bent.  Still can’t work out why I took the Mini and not my own car, and the series of very odd events on the journey towards the accident, each one delaying me just a little more each time as if it was going to happen anyway.  

Watched the side impact NCAP crash test for the latest Mini and it is EXACTLY what happened to me.  Damage, airbag behaviour, even the fuel filler popping open, all identical.  Don’t know why I am compelled to keep watching it.  Seeing the same in a Seat Leon makes me realise I definitely would have been more badly hurt had i taken my own car

I dunno, shock, steroids, hunger, general misery plus a load of other shit in my life right now I kind of feel like a stuck cd, the track is just bouncing off the same note and I can’t skip to the next track.  Nearly weekend, just survive today and tomorrow and a lovely weekend will help I am sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Attempts to check the actual oil level in the Dacia Logan 1.5 diesel taxi are proving to be ridiculously difficult. Car parked up on level ground overnight, withdraw dipstick and it has oil all over it. Wipe, re insert, withdraw and one side of the dipstick shows no oil while the other side has a smeary level just below max. Repeat the process and get another version of the same, ie nothing on one side but something on the other. It differs every time! As it usually comes out oily somewhere and no oil pressure warnings am fairly convinced that it has enough oil in. But FFS.The plastic outer tube is a narrow necked affair and is presumably wiping the dipstick on its way out. Silly. 
Yeah the dipstick on a Clio DCi is also useless. Does it have an electronic dipstick like the Clio 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

Attempts to check the actual oil level in the Dacia Logan 1.5 diesel taxi are proving to be ridiculously difficult. Car parked up on level ground overnight, withdraw dipstick and it has oil all over it. Wipe, re insert, withdraw and one side of the dipstick shows no oil while the other side has a smeary level just below max. Repeat the process and get another version of the same, ie nothing on one side but something on the other. It differs every time! As it usually comes out oily somewhere and no oil pressure warnings am fairly convinced that it has enough oil in. But FFS.The plastic outer tube is a narrow necked affair and is presumably wiping the dipstick on its way out. Silly. 

On most Renault's, when the dash says "Oil Ok" you can hit the trip counter reset button and it'll give you the actual oil level it's measuring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loaded the Transit up at work this morning.Left the yard,and had done about a mile.A message came up,Fuel Filter Blocked,followed by Engine Service Needed Now.It then went into limp mode for about half a mile & has now died.

Stuck at the side of the road waiting for recovery,I hadn't even got to the shop to get a coffee ☹

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lovely.JPG.ad2d3e5b8544774d681a3100426080b9.JPG

It may be time to jettison some possessions for cash monies.

I get paid weekly so a cash boost will come in tomorrow, however my rent/council tax is 2.5 weeks worth of wages so the fact I've already run out of money on the second week of the month is a bad sign...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Parky said:

I dunno, shock, steroids, hunger, general misery plus a load of other shit in my life right now I kind of feel like a stuck cd, the track is just bouncing off the same note and I can’t skip to the next track.  Nearly weekend, just survive today and tomorrow and a lovely weekend will help I am sure. 

Been a tough week for anyone by the sounds of it. Time to chill at the weekend will help I'm sure.

Keep on keeping on, you've survived 100% of your worst days so far, you'll get through this one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Parky said:

Am awake at 3.30am, large doses of steroids and ravishing hunger after three days nil by mouth will do that to a man.

Depressions back.  Events of the last few days have put me on a high speed trajectory towards the ground but booked some therapy last night which my company medical pay for 100%.  Amazing.  

Folk who say my car will be written off, i think you are right.  The passenger door is proud of the rest of the car even though it is shut tight so I think the car is slightly bent.  Still can’t work out why I took the Mini and not my own car, and the series of very odd events on the journey towards the accident, each one delaying me just a little more each time as if it was going to happen anyway.  

Watched the side impact NCAP crash test for the latest Mini and it is EXACTLY what happened to me.  Damage, airbag behaviour, even the fuel filler popping open, all identical.  Don’t know why I am compelled to keep watching it.  Seeing the same in a Seat Leon makes me realise I definitely would have been more badly hurt had i taken my own car

I dunno, shock, steroids, hunger, general misery plus a load of other shit in my life right now I kind of feel like a stuck cd, the track is just bouncing off the same note and I can’t skip to the next track.  Nearly weekend, just survive today and tomorrow and a lovely weekend will help I am sure. 

Sounds shit mate. I’m just glad you’re ostensibly in one piece although things like this send our brains into overdrive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Parky said:

Still can’t work out why I took the Mini and not my own car, and the series of very odd events on the journey towards the accident, each one delaying me just a little more each time as if it was going to happen anyway.  

Let this go. It's the road to madness.

I've been there & done it myself, I ran over & killed a bloke on an unlit dual carriageway whilst doing 90mph. It is impossible to resolve it to your satisfaction in your mind. There are endless ifs & ands & buts & variables & chances - it simply can't be done. So consciously file it away as unresolved, and move on to something else. That'll be a pound to the barefoot psychologist please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should overtake a cyclist when it is safe to do so.  NOT WHEN THERE'S ME COMING THE OTHER WAY YOU DODDERY OLD BASTARD.  Don't then try to correct the mistake by SWERVING BACK AT THE CYCLIST.  OMFG.

On the plus side, after doing an emergency stop to prevent a collision, the handbrake on the BX works lovely now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should move to Surrey then.Round there,they won't overtake a cyclist unless there's nothing coming in the opposite direction for about 5 miles 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

You should overtake a cyclist when it is safe to do so.  NOT WHEN THERE'S ME COMING THE OTHER WAY YOU DODDERY OLD BASTARD.  Don't then try to correct the mistake by SWERVING BACK AT THE CYCLIST.  OMFG.

On the plus side, after doing an emergency stop to prevent a collision, the handbrake on the BX works lovely now.

Ah yes. I remember that brake improvement technique. The whole 'overtaking cyclists' thing is a pain though. No, putting your indicator on does not give you freedom to drive into oncoming traffic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's cute that you assumed he gave me the courtesy of an indicator.

Parky's recent misadventure has perhaps made me a little more wary than I would have been (I hope you get well soon!), I'm keenly aware of how badly I'd fair in even a low speed accident in the BX, and drive accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 155V6 said:

Loaded the Transit up at work this morning.Left the yard,and had done about a mile.A message came up,Fuel Filter Blocked,followed by Engine Service Needed Now.It then went into limp mode for about half a mile & has now died.

Stuck at the side of the road waiting for recovery,I hadn't even got to the shop to get a coffee ☹

Mechanic came out & changed the fuel filter,but no joy.He said there was some swarf in the fuel,so not looking good.Recovery was ordered at about 1.00,was on the way but got re-directed to an accident by the Police.Still waiting.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent about an hour trying to start a fire in the woodstove. I think I mixed the green wood I split two months ago with the stuff I did at the beginning of the year! I is prawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, you have done the right thing. If you have genuine concerns about the safety of the child you have done the right thing by the child. You don't have to admit to the family who did the reporting,

It can be difficult to intervene, no one wants to have to remove kids from the parents ideally, but if the kid is being abused we have a duo to speak up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This arrived a few minutes agoimage.thumb.jpeg.17723e99fe73b1313238736cda22c74c.jpeg

The grump is that it's for 2 sheds and their contents that have become infested with rats, so far so bad. But one 6'x4' shed is packed floor to ceiling with bundles of magazines and brochures that I've been collecting since I was 9😕.

Thats 46 years of my life, they're wrapped in polythene to keep any damp at bay so there's a slim chance some packs in the middle may be salvageable, we'll see...

Just off to Wilcos for some storage boxes just in case things like my complete 75 to 90 run of Ford Cars is OK or all the matching 70's Vauxhall, Chrysler and BL ones- I'm starting to upset myself now!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went back to work yesterday. Probably a bit too soon.  Drove to Peterborough and did a meeting which was fine, drove back after.  However forgot I had a second meeting in Huntingdon so managed to rearrange that but surprised I did that, first time in 20 years....

Went to office, felt odd, bit weak, sweaty, etc.  Got through the day, made it home.

Last night another flare up.  Been awake all night in agony, but have been sick (a lot) this morning and feel a lot better.  Still feel like I have been trampled by a load of cows so fucked today off as I am still not quite right.  Thank god it’s the weekend.  Should have taken yesterday off and returned for an easy transition today instead.  Really need to start facing the fact I am 46 not 26 and because the steroids make me feel invincible, I really am not!

Repair place did an initial assessment of the car and it’s actually not as bad as first thought.  The impact missed the key structural stuff and it doesn’t appear to be out of whack (laser jig will confirm but the guys are confident it’s actually alright).  Estimate of £7000 repair and three weeks to do it.  Assessor amazed I was unhurt, everyone seems to be.  I bloody am!  They have been really fastidious and identified a couple of parking dink’s I didn’t know about so they are being attributed as part of the damage and sorted for free.  Nice one.

Am gradually letting it go as have been driving myself insane reliving it over and over and considering “what ifs?” and that sort of thing.  I can now see exactly how the guy lost it, and why he overcorrected so much.  Basically he slid on a wet manhole cover and as he corrected the road surface changed to a dry one as it went under an underpass - his tyres suddenly had grip on the dry road explaining how it snapped back so violently.  I didn’t think of that at the time.  Little things help me make sense of it.  Poor sod wasn’t expecting the car to spin, just did what comes naturally (dab of oppo) and after that he could have gone anywhere.  He had his kid in the car, it could have been a high speed head on with something else, or a rollover.  Two fucked cars, three unfucked humans, I think we will call that a win and draw a line under it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thick people, my cousin asked me to find her a car, £500 max, must have service history and full mot with a warranty and be safe to run her kids 5 miles to school, oh and it MUST be a diesel, when I asked her why and she said it was because they were cheaper to run, when I pointed out that they may do better headline mpg but are a potential timebomb her eye's glazed over.

People are so blinkered that they don't realise a small petrol engine is far less hassle and just as economical for the 10 mile round trip, they have been brainwashed that a diesel costs less to run, my wife was the same, until I pointed out my 1.8 Avensis was the same cost per mile as her diesel Peugeot even though it did less mpg because diesel was 10p a litre more expensive. 

I politely declined and told her to ask someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Thick people, my cousin asked me to find her a car, £500 max, must have service history and full mot with a warranty and be safe to run her kids 5 miles to school, oh and it MUST be a diesel, when I asked her why and she said it was because they were cheaper to run, when I pointed out that they may do better headline mpg but are a potential timebomb her eye's glazed over.

People are so blinkered that they don't realise a small petrol engine is far less hassle and just as economical for the 10 mile round trip, they have been brainwashed that a diesel costs less to run, my wife was the same, until I pointed out my 1.8 Avensis was the same cost per mile as her diesel Peugeot even though it did less mpg because diesel was 10p a litre more expensive. 

I politely declined and told her to ask someone else.

1688053096_moononastick.jpg.4edb539f2b79ff406eca61bbeabe9e8b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...