outlaw118

The grumpy thread

An historic building falling apart is sad, but it can rise again as shows it has put on has shown over the years it has been built has shown, building as well as people rise from the ashes, time for the Damne to do the same.

This isn't some old pub or country house, this is a building that has a shit load of meaning and feeling attached to a great many people. A symbol of a national identity that can not be replaced. A building that took hundreds of years to make by many, many skilled craftsman. A lot of which have died with their trade. It can be rebuilt but it will never be exactly the same. In-fact it will be near damn impossible to get it anywhere near like it was.

Hundreds of years to build, 800+ years of history and survived many major and world wars. All wiped out in a couple of hours.

Have some fucking respect man.

This isn't some old pub or country house, this is a building that has a shit load of meaning and feeling attached to a great many people. A symbol of a national identity that can not be replaced. A building that took hundreds of years to make by many, many skilled craftsman. A lot of which have died with their trade. It can be rebuilt but it will never be exactly the same. In-fact it will be near damn impossible to get it anywhere near like it was.

Hundreds of years to build, 800+ years of history and survived many major and world wars. All wiped out in a couple of hours.

Have some fucking respect man.

Guess it's the aspergers but it's just building that can be rebuilt and come back better than ever, with massive fanfare and pomp and circumstance, a symbol of bloody national identity in recovery and coming back from what seems staggeringly hard odds.

No matter, I just don't understand the whole blowback, i'll stfu and leave. 

Fucking steam irons; things don't last 5 minutes! Will by a posh one next time instead of Chinese shit.

We've had our since 1987.

Still works. Softwater area.

Thought you worked for yourself. All those work nights out?

My boss asked me to be more professional, so I put a leather jacket on and slid across the bonnet of his car. 

I'd be very, very surprised if the main structure doesn't survive.  Dozens of medieval cathedrals / churches have had major fires over the centuries, and whilst the roof structures and anything made of wood is lost, the masonry is so massive as to be almost invulnerable.

It's a huge loss, all that history gone like that. Must be absolutely heartbreaking.

The spire fell 2 hours in. At that moment I think everyone knew that was enough to tell them, it was gone. Lucky it was a roof fire to begin with, or everything would have been decimated.

I'd be very, very surprised if the main structure doesn't survive.  Dozens of medieval cathedrals/ churches have had major fires over the centuries, and whilst the roof structures and anything made of wood is lost, the masonry is so massive as to be almost invulnerable.

While historically that's been the case I reckon than in this day and age the site will be surveyed, with the effects of heat on the mortar etc and it'll be condemned as being to risky to work on.

Having said that, it's France, so it may be rebuilt. If it was a UK building the proposals for a block of student flats and a Costa drive-thu would already have been submitted...

I'm an atheist.   I am also a case-hardened Englishman.   Watching Notre Dame burn has made my eyes water, these buildings transcend religion and nationality.   Very very sad day.

Totally agree.

Having said that, it's France

Exactly.  If it's still standing come the morning, it doesn't matter how damaged it is, there is no way in hell it will be condemned.  Being both French and Catholic I'm possibly more emotionally involved and thus less rational than some, but it is almost impossible to exaggerate how important this building is to the French.

They will rebuild it, it will be amazing, and so much pomp and circumstance will be surrounding it, yes it's sad but do we cry because it's gone? or celebrate the one last time that building entertains people, with jokes and stories about it's past and hope for it's future.

Whatever I seem to think though people disagree :) guess I'll take to lurking. :D

While historically that's been the case I reckon than in this day and age the site will be surveyed, with the effects of heat on the mortar etc and it'll be condemned as being to risky to work on.

Having said that, it's France, so it may be rebuilt. If it was a UK building the proposals for a block of student flats and a Costa drive-thu would already have been submitted...

I would of normally said that I wonder if some dodgy insurance/wanting the land a listed building is on BS is going on

however given the building in question I highly doubt thats the case (id hate to know the building insurance premiums on something like this however!)

what I do wonder is, given that there has been fairly recent a few fires in historic buildings under going renovation work, where the fires where caused by said renovation work

I wonder if anyone thought to fit a temporary sprinkler system or such to avoid stray welder sparks or something setting fire to things?

Also grumpy because CBS newsroom were conversing about the significance of the cathedral for "not only Catholics but Christians as well"

Oh dear.

Even better was the mandarin Mussolini offering his wisdom on twitter that a water bomber would help.

A bit of France profonde up in smoke, other than the tower it's hard to think of something more emblematic of Paris.

Speculating on what the news have reported the fire will be found(if a cause is ever attributed) to have started due to the use of gas torches to fit new lead to the roof. The consequences of not having fire patrols during and after hot work has been carried out is a lesson that is regularly relearned.