The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Its a great place to work at but scratch the surface and there's lots of politics

most places ive worked are like this, and i try to avoid getting involved - some people who have been there a while think they are in charge and can cause a lot of bother for others who dont treat them as some kind of emperor. Thats why im now self-employed, and dont have to deal with that sort of crap anymore

Carpark, 5.01 pm, anything goes.

If you're built like Dara O'Brian* with the attitude of Frankie Boyle crossed with Scrappy-Doo, then yeah, but not all of us are so blessed! So we end up just randomly hating everyone, on principle.

*I've probably spelled that wrong...

It will probably help if we all stand around shouting FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

... some people who have been there a while think they are in charge and can cause a lot of bother for others who dont treat them as some kind of emperor.

I know an internet forum a bit like that.

<...hits virtual like button...>

8)

So, moderators actually HAVE done something and have deleted a thread by someone who's got fed up with some attitudes on this place. Yet Len's "please go to my rival forum" thread remains. Sorry but what sort of a decision is that?

Have to say it does strike me as a bit 'odd' Theres a whole load of deleting / locking needs to be going on around here at the moment.

Scooters may not be the only one leaving.

Indeed. Sadly.

O.K, the situation at work has now just escalated a bit. Basically when I got into work this morning I went to my workstation upstairs to find my CO-WORKER pottering about, we were alone up there so I thought it an opportune time to have a word with him. I asked what he wanted of me, as we work next to each other every day and we pretty much HAVE to get on with each other. He started getting aggressive and shouty and went on about how I wasn't doing my job correctly and how there "wasn't 5 mins of history on the web browser- I checked myself, you're on it all the time!" I tried to explain to him that the web history goes back weeks and isn't re-set every day but he was having none of it. His shouting got louder and louder and his language more and more abusive.

By this time I was getting pretty angry myself as I could see there was no way of getting though to this guy and could sense some kind of physical altercation was going to be on the cards unless I did something, so I found the boss, said I was taking the day off to avoid killing this bloke. He agreed and i'm now sat at home. 5 min workday FTW!!11!!

Dunno whats going on now but I've had a call from a workmate who recons this CO-WORKER is being put through the mill as we speak. No doubt he'l spout some more nonsense about how useless I am and how great he is. Unsure as to what to do now- do I go back tomorrow as if nothing has happened or do I take a month off with stress?

Go back tomorrow. If this idiot is being put through the mill today then obviously they're aware of what a turd he is and will be concerned you've gone home. I bet he's done it before and they'll be sitting there right now wondering what to do about it.

Go back in the morning have a word with the boss as soon as he comes in and tell him you've been polite to this idiot, you're being victimised by his behaviour and as much as you love your job he's making you worried about coming in to work.

He's deffo done it before, he's got a reputation for bad mouthing people and generally gobbing off to anyone who will listen how shit XYZ are. The problem is the management is pretty weak in this department. Apparently NOBODY has been fired from this firm in its 30 year history, infact nobody has even had any sort of warning. This is because they tend to stick their head in the sand and hope the situation will sort itself, which it usually does. For a long time its been a small firm employing 25 people or so, meaning its like a big family. Nobody is going to fire their friend, are they? Now some newcomers have started (like me) the OLDSKOOL KREW have had their noses put of joint a bit, mainly over pay and perceived position within the firm. I was told recently that one person even left because they didn't like the pay some newcomers were on (to be fair, he was massively underpaid). This is cause for much of the under-the-surface politics I was talking about.

Anyway- I can't see any way I can continue working with this particular fella, there's going to be no way he's just going to come in tomorrow and pretend none of this happened, he's just going to get worse and worse.. Maybe I should just get other job.

P.S FANKS DOLLYWOBBLER!!! :P

Fucking transport systems. OF ALL KINDS.

1) Huddersfield station only has about 55 parking spaces. That's bad enough, but they have 11 reserved for season-ticket holders (fair enough), another dozen for staff (GR9 PR for the train operators, who also happen to be the same company that operate most of the buses in the area!), and another 20 or so for no apparent reason- it just says "RESERVED SPACE- only authorised vehicles".

2) The train from Sheffield to Huddersfield 35 miles or so) takes over an hour and only runs 3-4 times per day, so I couldn't make myself go there and park last night (and then have to go back there in the train). Otherwise, you have to change at Leeds and spend the best part of two hours. Getting to Northampton (100 miles away) is considerably faster...(only because that train goes to London). In fact, going to Peterborough via Doncaster was only marginally slower (the train from Donny to Pboro also happens to go to London- what a fucking coincidence).

3) The A628 is a country road that's just got an A before its number. In the whole journey from the A61, there wasn't ONE sign displaying the distance to Huddersfield. It would have been much faster to go the roundabout way on the motorway, but I hadn't known that.

3) NCP operate the station carpark. They have all the infrastructure in place to sell parking in advance, but choose not to. They don't have anyone based there, either.

4) So, after being gridlocked on the way to the big village that is Huddersfield (it literally took me 80 minutes from Sheffield), there's no way to park at the station so I end up parking in a place that's unattended most of the time, thereby both negating the idea of parking away from the space in the dodgy disused DIY place near my flat AND making me pay twenty quid for the privilege. Look out for a thread on Sunday/Monday entitled "burnt out, blown up Scorpio for sale". Could've parked in Wythenshawe and saved myself the bloody train ticket, too. Of course, the moment I got there it started raining, and I didn't have a brolly with me as "it'll only be walks through closed spaces".

5) The train was late. Only 6 minutes late, mind, but if I had been 5 minutes late, it would've been time for a new ticket ("you're just on a CHEAP ticket m8, init?"- no, you muppet, sixteen quid is not cheap for a 40 mile journey). No kind of compensation available either, as it's "close enough on time". Was it NC who said you can get compo anyway?

6) Got to the airport, had to go from the miserable shithole that is Terminal 3. The covered walkways had been closed for refurb and you had to walk on the street. In a rare moment of luck, at least it'd stopped raining by now.

7) Having paid extra to fly on Air Farce as opposed to Easydeath et al, I am told that "we can't check your luggage through, because you're on a separate ticket. You have to pick it up in Paris, and then re-check it to Prague". Well, YOU HAVE A WHOLE WEBSITE THAT MAKES A POINT OF EASY CONNECTIONS, THROUGH CHECKIN AND THE LIKE, and doesn't mention inability to do it on a through ticket!

8) To add insult to injury, they wouldn't honour my frequent flyer card for lounge access (= free water, coffee and biccies) because "this flight is operated by FlyMAYbe". Yes, but again you have an entire minisite devoted to Flybe-operted flights that makes no fucking mention of that. On top of it, the Costafortune coffee past security is closed for refurb, and there is no other place to get a caffeine fix.

I fully expect to end the day either injured in a minor accident running between terminals (I get my bad luck in frequent, small doses, so I like to think that I'm an unlikely candidate for a full-on plane crash), or arrested after punching a French policeman in the face for having refused to let me cross the border because "zis Greque carte d identite zas no av dat d expiration" (just like all the other ones, then!). :evil::evil::evil:

And the bloody AS server doesn't even let me post this!!! That alone would be worth of a separate grump!

JUst whanged down to Focus (DIY shop) to get some stuff for the back yard. Lady on till was visibly upset as apparantly they marched in yesterday and announced the shop was shutting and she's been there 23 years.

How long before there's so many bloody empty shops and factory units there won't be any bleeding jobs left?

I'm staying well out of it because I'm not really that bothered- still plenty of good threads IMO; but it must be proper shit to be one of the people who set-up/run this forum.

Talk about getting a smack in the mouth for doing something for other people to enjoy.

I'm staying well out of it because I'm not really that bothered- still plenty of good threads IMO; but it must be proper shit to be one of the people who set-up/run this forum.

Talk about getting a smack in the mouth for doing something for other people to enjoy.

Good post and well said.

What the heck is that behind it DW, is it a Lada Niva?

Ps: was chatting to one of your homebased colleagues at Chumley the other week, I think he said he covered local (presumably to Cheshire area) events for CCW.

What the heck is that behind it DW, is it a Lada Niva?

Ps: was chatting to one of your homebased colleagues at Chumley the other week, I think he said he covered local (presumably to Cheshire area) events for CCW.

Yup, Niva. This was an amazing haul of shite I discovered when having a random walk around the village of Byfield, Northants - where we lived at the time. My wife was most upset that our quiet country stroll turned into a shite-fest.

Not sure which colleague that would have been Cav - a former one now I'm writing for the opposition!

JUst whanged down to Focus (DIY shop) to get some stuff for the back yard. Lady on till was visibly upset as apparantly they marched in yesterday and announced the shop was shutting and she's been there 23 years.

How long before there's so many bloody empty shops and factory units there won't be any bleeding jobs left?

I think all Focus stores are closing. The company has gone into receivership.

Being treated like a second class citizen.

I understand that as an LGV driver I'm nothing more than working class scum but yesterday really offended me. I was having a coffee in the kitchen at work when one of the directors tried to move me on telling me that there's a tea urn in the "workers" jack leg cabin (I don't want to get sued by Port****in so I'm not mentioning the brand name). When I informed the little jumped up prick that I don't really drink tea he tried to explain to me that the facilities would be "more to my taste", i.e faded centerfolds from the Sport pinned to the wall and lots of old copies of Nuts to read.

Fucking wanker.

I doubt I'll ever be asked back there after I decided to do a Rosa Parks and refused to move until my break was over.

:D:D:D

Fucking transport systems. OF ALL KINDS.

1) Huddersfield station only has about 55 parking spaces. That's bad enough, but they have 11 reserved for season-ticket holders (fair enough), another dozen for staff (GR9 PR for the train operators, who also happen to be the same company that operate most of the buses in the area!), and another 20 or so for no apparent reason- it just says "RESERVED SPACE- only authorised vehicles".

2) The train from Sheffield to Huddersfield 35 miles or so) takes over an hour and only runs 3-4 times per day, so I couldn't make myself go there and park last night (and then have to go back there in the train). Otherwise, you have to change at Leeds and spend the best part of two hours. Getting to Northampton (100 miles away) is considerably faster...(only because that train goes to London). In fact, going to Peterborough via Doncaster was only marginally slower (the train from Donny to Pboro also happens to go to London- what a fucking coincidence).

3) The A628 is a country road that's just got an A before its number. In the whole journey from the A61, there wasn't ONE sign displaying the distance to Huddersfield. It would have been much faster to go the roundabout way on the motorway, but I hadn't known that.

3) NCP operate the station carpark. They have all the infrastructure in place to sell parking in advance, but choose not to. They don't have anyone based there, either.

4) So, after being gridlocked on the way to the big village that is Huddersfield (it literally took me 80 minutes from Sheffield), there's no way to park at the station so I end up parking in a place that's unattended most of the time, thereby both negating the idea of parking away from the space in the dodgy disused DIY place near my flat AND making me pay twenty quid for the privilege. Look out for a thread on Sunday/Monday entitled "burnt out, blown up Scorpio for sale". Could've parked in Wythenshawe and saved myself the bloody train ticket, too. Of course, the moment I got there it started raining, and I didn't have a brolly with me as "it'll only be walks through closed spaces".

5) The train was late. Only 6 minutes late, mind, but if I had been 5 minutes late, it would've been time for a new ticket ("you're just on a CHEAP ticket m8, init?"- no, you muppet, sixteen quid is not cheap for a 40 mile journey). No kind of compensation available either, as it's "close enough on time". Was it NC who said you can get compo anyway?

6) Got to the airport, had to go from the miserable shithole that is Terminal 3. The covered walkways had been closed for refurb and you had to walk on the street. In a rare moment of luck, at least it'd stopped raining by now.

7) Having paid extra to fly on Air Farce as opposed to Easydeath et al, I am told that "we can't check your luggage through, because you're on a separate ticket. You have to pick it up in Paris, and then re-check it to Prague". Well, YOU HAVE A WHOLE WEBSITE THAT MAKES A POINT OF EASY CONNECTIONS, THROUGH CHECKIN AND THE LIKE, and doesn't mention inability to do it on a through ticket!

8) To add insult to injury, they wouldn't honour my frequent flyer card for lounge access (= free water, coffee and biccies) because "this flight is operated by FlyMAYbe". Yes, but again you have an entire minisite devoted to Flybe-operted flights that makes no fucking mention of that. On top of it, the Costafortune coffee past security is closed for refurb, and there is no other place to get a caffeine fix.

I fully expect to end the day either injured in a minor accident running between terminals (I get my bad luck in frequent, small doses, so I like to think that I'm an unlikely candidate for a full-on plane crash), or arrested after punching a French policeman in the face for having refused to let me cross the border because "zis Greque carte d identite zas no av dat d expiration" (just like all the other ones, then!). :evil::evil::evil:

And the bloody AS server doesn't even let me post this!!! That alone would be worth of a separate grump!

Luxo that has got to be one of if not THEE most iconic grumps i have ever read on here for a long while :D

i stand in my kitchen and applaud you sir! :P makes me feel a happy bastard now :(

Depends on the company but generally it's for delays over an hour on journeys that are supposed to take over an hour. However with the actual checking system not currently in place for many companies, I'd say your chances are ok right now...............

Its been bought by B&Q, most of the stores are staying open, but some are closing.

Aye, the lady said something like 32 stores had been bought by B&Q, 30 odd by B&M and the rest were to close.

D.W sorry chief, I thought you were still there.

Being treated like a second class citizen.

I understand that as an LGV driver I'm nothing more than working class scum but yesterday really offended me. I was having a coffee in the kitchen at work when one of the directors tried to move me on telling me that there's a tea urn in the "workers" jack leg cabin (I don't want to get sued by Port****in so I'm not mentioning the brand name). When I informed the little jumped up prick that I don't really drink tea he tried to explain to me that the facilities would be "more to my taste", i.e faded centerfolds from the Sport pinned to the wall and lots of old copies of Nuts to read.

Fucking wanker.

I doubt I'll ever be asked back there after I decided to do a Rosa Parks and refused to move until my break was over.

I remember them days! Atleast a few years ago as an LGV driver you could tell them to FOAD and there was pretty much nothing they could do about it as there was such a shortage of drivers. You would also be on much more money than 99% of the other employees there too, including many directors if it was a smallish outfit. How times have changed!

I have some bad news for you, if you are thinking of leaving the profession IT DON'T GET ANY BETTER ON THE OUTSIDE.

Just a thought in this particular case though- you could argue that the Director was talking to you about work, hence interrupting your legally enforcable break away from the work environment. Sorry guv, gotta start my 45 min break all over again :P:P .

Not being funny though, compared with B&Q I have always found Focus DIY to be a bit crap.

But then Smiths Do-It-All was better than B&Q IMHO and didnt they become Homebase ( or was that Texas?)

I agree Ted, it was a bit lame compared to others but it's just sad that another big employer closes its doors and more jobs go by the wayside. B&Q must be urinating in their longjohns as that's another competitor gone.

Such is life I suppose, but less jobs for people and less competition for the 'big' companies isn't too clever in my eyes.

I bet they shut because of lazy greedy wagon drivers, they're all the same that lot :lol: