The grumpy thread

outlaw118

A Nikon compact, and it is awful. The detail washout is a bit too iffy for my liking, you attempt to zoom in and the detail decreases rapidly. Okay, so I am not the most camera smart person around, but even my older Samsung was way better. Speaking of which, it has decided to now work, with some pretty intense focus issues however.

Guest Leonard Hatred

I thought Nikon would be a reliable choice, I guess that was your thinking too.

Panasonic Lumix compacts give good results, I think quite a few people here use them.

If I'm looking to buy a new camera I sometimes check the flickr camera finder

Your Samsung will have a chipped gear in the lens mechanism.

When looking for a new camera you should search Flickr for pictures taken with any models you are considering. See how good the kind of pictures you take look, and also check out some pictures taken in less than ideal conditions.

I take it you do know it's optical zoom you need. Some manufacturers still quote digital zoom, which just crops the picture.

Cat Litter

why the **** is it 41p per 100g when cat food is 31p per 100g!

Tesco's value lightweight cat litter is the best/cheapest I found. It's about £1.70 for a 10 litre(yes, litre) bag IIRC. It is good stuff though and far better than other supermarkets value stuff that is usaually that messy clay stuff.

A Nikon compact, and it is awful. The detail washout is a bit too iffy for my liking, you attempt to zoom in and the detail decreases rapidly. Okay, so I am not the most camera smart person around, but even my older Samsung was way better. Speaking of which, it has decided to now work, with some pretty intense focus issues however.

That is odd, I've had a couple of Nikon compacts and they were great, meanwhile the Samsung camera was the worst (although only because their warranty repair place first returned it broken, and the second time fixed with a hair on the sensor!).

Our cat was a few years old when we got her, so we were worried she was too old to be trained to poo in the garden. Needn't have worried, we just hid the tray one day and she went outside. Which she has ever since.

Cats are great. If only they could tear open those food pouches themselves.

I'll video our youngest one doing just that. He can get the sodding things out of the box, on to the floor and then open in no time at all. Then it's open season as the other two and the dog join in :D

The hard drive on my laptop is gubbed - I'm having to use the wife's. The big problem with this is that the product codes for the software(Mathcad) for the maths course I'm doing are device specific - so I need to get a new code, most of my Uni work is somewhere on it, and a lot of photos are on it too. I've used a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor to and a 2.5" to usb adaptor to no avail - it doesn't show up as a drive, despite the BIOS recognising it. The 98SE machine sees a harddrive but doesn't allocate it a letter. Bollocks.

Saab's rear caliper is still seizing. Happened after I'd parked up again, so I'm convinced it's actually the handbrake at fault and not releasing properly. Footbrake doesn't seem to cause this issue. Pressing the footbrake hard seemed to release it. I never leave it parked at home with the handbrake on. Bloody thing.

Also, my new polish has arrived, and it's rained almost non-stop since. Fiddlesticks.

I don't feel like I'm doing very well at the moment. I picked up the Oxfords heater and blower motor from my mum's on Thursday to clean it all up at home and add it to the pile of restored bits ready to go back on. Had hoped to go to Beaulieu today but preparations for Ickle_Seth's birthday party next week overrode that. So with a bit of time to spare I started cleaning up the blower motor. Had got it mostly prepped to slosh some paint on the steel bits and was pondering whether to leave the sticker on as its part of the cars originality or take it off and get a repro. Then I dropped it all and the Bakelite housing broke into several pieces. :x

I don't feel like I'm doing very well at the moment. I picked up the Oxfords heater and blower motor from my mum's on Thursday to clean it all up at home and add it to the pile of restored bits ready to go back on. Had hoped to go to Beaulieu today but preparations for Ickle_Seth's birthday party next week overrode that. So with a bit of time to spare I started cleaning up the blower motor. Had got it mostly prepped to slosh some paint on the steel bits and was pondering whether to leave the sticker on as its part of the cars originality or take it off and get a repro. Then I dropped it all and the Bakelite housing broke into several pieces. :x

Bumhats.

Is it several big-ish pieces? Would it glue? I might sound abit GHEY, but I'd rather have repaired original parts, than random repo-bits.

Hows the Oxford coming?

I saw MorrisOxide (of RR fame) last night and we were talking about his pair of Farinas. He seems to think theres only two estates like his, do you know anyone in the owners club that might be able to confirm?

I can probably glue it together so might give that a go though there is a bit missing which I''l have to fill and paint to match. Annoying though. Oxford is coming slowly. It'll get there one day. MorrisOxode's estate is a Series Five Oxford or A55MkII (can't remember which) and they are very rare as most survivors are Series 6 or A60. He should join the club really if he hasn't already :wink:http://www.co-oc.org/ I don't know of anyone specific to ask.

The hard drive on my laptop is gubbed - I'm having to use the wife's. The big problem with this is that the product codes for the software(Mathcad) for the maths course I'm doing are device specific - so I need to get a new code, most of my Uni work is somewhere on it, and a lot of photos are on it too. I've used a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor to and a 2.5" to usb adaptor to no avail - it doesn't show up as a drive, despite the BIOS recognising it. The 98SE machine sees a harddrive but doesn't allocate it a letter. Bollocks.

What does it do when you plug it in - does it spin up, and does it make any clunking noises?

All may not be lost.

What does it do when you plug it in - does it spin up, and does it make any clunking noises?

All may not be lost.

It spins up, so indeed, all may not be lost. It is beyond my current capabilities however. The initial problem was the BSOD after hanging at the atisgkaf.sys file - often a common problem - but the BSOD shows for less than a second before the PC tries to restart. I hope to get the IT chap at my old work to have a look at it tomorrow.

98SE won't allocate a letter as it'll be an NTFS drive and 98 can't read it.

Chances are if you bung it on an XP onwards machine it'll be readable.

You can extend the amount of time that the BSOD appears by hitting F8 when it's about to load windows (just mash it a load of times) and selecting "Disable automatic restart on failure" - giving you chance to read the error.

Thats WELL HAWT.

Agreed. It's pretty much sex on wheels. Love to see that at a show somewhere, it's perfect.

+1

Really, really gorgeous. I love the lines of the A55 MK2 and the Series 5 Oxford, a wagon version of either would be GR8 4 TAT HAULIN'.

I can probably glue it together so might give that a go though there is a bit missing which I''l have to fill and paint to match. Annoying though. Oxford is coming slowly. It'll get there one day. MorrisOxode's estate is a Series Five Oxford or A55MkII (can't remember which) and they are very rare as most survivors are Series 6 or A60. He should join the club really if he hasn't already :wink:http://www.co-oc.org/ I don't know of anyone specific to ask.

Have you got any old bits of Bakelite kicking around? There was a piece in the PVHCC mag about mixing ground up Bakelite with epoxy resin to repair broken components.

98SE won't allocate a letter as it'll be an NTFS drive and 98 can't read it.

Chances are if you bung it on an XP onwards machine it'll be readable.

You can extend the amount of time that the BSOD appears by hitting F8 when it's about to load windows (just mash it a load of times) and selecting "Disable automatic restart on failure" - giving you chance to read the error.

Ah - didn't know that about 98SE. There are 3 laptops in the house - a turn-of-the-century Thinkpad re-jigged to run on XP, the dead Presario and the one I'm on now, running XP SP3. This one fails to see the dead Presario disc - or doesn't assign it a letter, anyway - but does the Thinkpad disc. I think Ubuntu might be the answer...!

Lord Sterling: sorry, didn't realise you were so young! I understand your comments, and your Land Rover story checks out with one I could tell about driving wholesale veg, so it is something universal. It has been going on for a long time, but I agree, it does seem to be getting worse.

I've got room to talk, I haven't worked in two years! You think jobs are hard to find in UK? Try looking in Cyprus... :shock:

Anyway, back to topic: I started on some DIY this morning, with the intention of filling the day with it (and many of the next few, to be honest). I finished one job and packed away, ready for a break before the next one... and was treated to thunder and heavy showers for the rest of the day, with large patches of bright blue sky included! Yes, we get rain here too. So I sat with a cat on my lap, watching WTCC from Monza. I call that adequate compensation...