The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 minutes ago, robinmasters said:

Citroen C4 1.6HDi air filter change. Simply remove the wipers, scuttle, engine cover, intake ducting, MAF, and sound deadening, and loosen brake reservoir.

20201106_154104.thumb.jpg.1a40b5d51bfa62c85eed308bb637d4e2.jpg

Then you still can't get the air box out. You have to dismantle it in situ. 

20201106_154112.thumb.jpg.ddb8ab739f0f469769b82b67c6492002.jpg

Only took an hour. 

If only the styling and engineering departments would talk to each other!

5 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Citroen C4 1.6HDi air filter change. Simply remove the wipers, scuttle, engine cover, intake ducting, MAF, and sound deadening, and loosen brake reservoir.

Only took an hour. 

That's Citroën logic. I have a slightly shorter process to get at the (corroded) air filter box in the CX, so clearly little has changed in 30 years.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That's Citroën logic. I have a slightly shorter process to get at the (corroded) air filter box in the CX, so clearly little has changed in 30 years.

Must be the same person who was responsible for the location of the clutch fluid reservoir in the Xantia!

IMG_20201106_234724.thumb.jpg.8f4887f114d2b4228867dd82b31a486e.jpg

12 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Must be the same person who was responsible for the location of the clutch fluid reservoir in the Xantia!

I think there is an internal contest within Citroen where they all compete to put a particular part in the most inaccessible place. Winner gets to sit on the PSA board for about a week.

7 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Only took an hour. 

Ah, that brings back fond* memories.  I had to remove the airbox on mine to get to the exhaust bolts when I changed the cat.  Stupid bloody design.

15 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Only took an hour. 

It’s a punishment for putting parts on car roofs ! You monster 😂

9 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

Finally got an email from Unit landlord (been trying to pay him since January) .... GTFO, looks like they're knocking down the units, and selling off valuable land, hence the silence for so long !?

Shit sticks. Anyone able to shift 2 cars for me ASAP ? (Insert worried face)

I can give you the number of a lad who can.  

So apparently Oppositelock (the former Jalopnik forum) is getting killed off. I used to be pretty active on there a while ago, so it's sad to see it go, even if it was ultimately far too American for my taste. :(

Wish I had more time to hang around this place as well, but with all that is happening I come back from work so utterly knackered I can't be arsed to do anything. Also, weather's shite so can't even go on a drive to take my mind off things.

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

IMG_20201106_234724.thumb.jpg.8f4887f114d2b4228867dd82b31a486e.jpg

May be a different model to the one I had - series 1  1.9TD but the clutch fluid reservoir was very easily accessible, on the left and adjacent to the sphere - the alarm defeat was a similar looking thing on the right and again close to the sphere.  Baffled me when I opened it and found a 'lock' that fit the ignition key.

I'm sure the LHM reservoir was on the left inner wing too.  Was a long time ago though.  Early nineties.

Meanwhile, do not get me started on inappropriate lighting for driving in patchy fog.... (ranging from no lights, blown headlights, sidelights/DRLs only, to retina-burning floodlit vehicles. I said, don't get me started...).

I actually screeched the van to a halt  and got out yesterday in a no overtaking bit to point out to the driver behind that neither of his headlights were working. And it was pitch black. He thanked me, but did not stop where I stopped next (petrol station) to attend to the fault. Prick.

The eBay thingy.  I just watched a clip from Interstellar on YouTube and although I have seen it I don't remember it so bought it on eBay.

I've bought a dozen odds and ends over the past couple of weeks without any problems but now encountered a further check needed and they wanted to call my home phone for verification.

Except I chucked all my landline phones out years ago.  I hate making calls and even more hate answering them and when I did answer it was always some bloody spammer, so in the bin they went.

I don't like giving my mobile number out, same reasons, but have to if I want my basket full of goodies.

Bugger :(

On 08/11/2020 at 23:34, High Jetter said:

It's 2FA - 2 factor authorization. They want to call your landline as that's the number you gave them, way back when.

That is it.  I have given my mobile number now but can't delete the landline and it continues to want to use that.

Looks like Amazon then.

Edit:  Tried again and it went through without doing any confirmation whatsoever.

Ordered some Prestone de-icer from amazon on the 5th after a frosty spell and the spray I thought I had turned out to be carburettor cleaner. I have yet to receive the order, but have had two “rate your order” emails. Apparently it’s already been to Portsmouth and back to Milton Keynes.

Bureaucracy.....

”Hello, I am travelling to New Zealand in five days and despite several calls and chasers I haven’t had my approved visa transferred to my new passport yet.  I was advised to call to request an urgent process today so can I request that?”

”Yeah, nah sorry no, you can’t request an urgent unless you have 48 hours or less before you travel”

”Well can’t we get it in motion?  I am worried if I call with 48 hours notice someone else will tell me it’s too late”

”Nope, sorry, rules, etc”

”So if I get to the airport with my visa linked to my lost passport, my passport won’t match the number on the visa so that’s gonna be a problem yes?  Won’t the Immigration man refuse me entry to the flight so I am separated from my family over Christmas and stranded homeless in the UK without any of my possessions as they would have been shipped?”

”Yeah, fingers crossed for you there mate, it will probably be alright”

Probably be alright.  

it’s not going to be alright is it?

10 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Hermes dumping a package on my doorstep looking like this. Fortunately none of the contents are broken or missing, more by luck than judgement! 

20201109_122442.jpg

Not trying to defend Hermes because we all know by the sound of it they have fuckwits all over the country working for them....

But if a box can crush that much the sender is as much to blame because they obviously haven't padded it out sufficiently. 

My mate buys and sells brake calipers and he had a package turn up the other day in the same sort of condition, it had 2 discs and 2 calipers, nothing individually wrapped, obviously overweight and an obviously well used old box, everything battered to fk and hanging out the sides, you can't blame Hermes for that but when contacted the sender seemed oblivious that he had done anything wrong🤐