The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just now, Tadhg Tiogar said:

You'd be surprised that quite a few people are content to work with laptop and WiFi, but don't bother with a printer.

Bear in mind that being an Executor isn't exactly a bunch of laughs and if he gets it wrong, he is personally liable.

It's not exactly rocket science. 

1 ISA. 1/2 a house.  1 joint bank amount. 1 teachers pension. 1 main recipient (the spouse) and 3 lesser recipients (small sums to each of his kids) 

Which is why he's going to pay a solicitor £220 plus vat per hour to do it for him. 

1 minute ago, New POD said:

It's not exactly rocket science. 

1 ISA. 1/2 a house.  1 joint bank amount. 1 teachers pension. 1 main recipient (the spouse) and 3 lesser recipients (small sums to each of his kids) 

Which is why he's going to pay a solicitor £220 plus vat per hour to do it for him. 

Neither is having a printer, it would seem.

I'd be happy to do it for £409 + VAT per hour, as that's what City of London rates are now.

6 hours ago, New POD said:

Oh and the icing on the cake.  As part of his "job" as executor, he's been emailed 4 documents (15 pages) from.the solicitor that he needed to print off.  Now he apparently has a very important job.  Something like General Manager...He's working from home. Apparently doesn't have a printer. What the fuck? He wants me to print them for him.  

At least you get sight of those documents that way.

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

At least you get sight of those documents that way.

Yes.  I said. Anything else you want me to print, let me know. 

He would bill the estate for new printer cartridges and the paper. 

27 minutes ago, New POD said:

Yes.  I said. Anything else you want me to print, let me know. 

He would bill the estate for new printer cartridges and the paper. 

his time will come , I have made my feelings known about any future support he will get......

Just now, MikeR said:

his time will come , I have made my feelings known about any future support he will get......

Wife, is being carefully not to bad mouth him to thier mother, but even so her mother called him "A bit stupid" 

It's been suggested that I move out, temporarily,  in the unlikely (but possible) case that MIL might have it, but fuck that.  

I should get up. 

Blood tests have not been done , one that was, has gone missing , scans are overdue , bloods now taken , urgent scan booked , also told consultant about my lack of after care outside the hospital ...he was not happy about it .

Is it socially acceptable to put a complaint in about the NHS in these covid times , blood results and scans   can't just go missing ! 

8 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Blood tests have not been done , one that was, has gone missing , scans are overdue , bloods now taken , urgent scan booked , also told consultant about my lack of after care outside the hospital ...he was not happy about it .

Is it socially acceptable to put a complaint in about the NHS in these covid times , blood results and scans   can't just go missing ! 

Yes.  The complaints department are working from home...probably. 

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

If it's becoming a cultural norm to spend 8 to 10k on a dog , or be thought a heartless sadist if you don't,then dog ownership is only going to be for the rich.

I blame the dog rescue places who insist on neutering them, before they sell them on.  No decent mongrels with unwanted litters. 

Same with cats. If you wanted a cat 30 years ago, someone you knew had a stray give birth to 7 kittens in thier shed.  Those kittens would end up having another 21 kittens each. But now? The 7 kittens end up being taken to a rescue, who neuter them which means they limit supply.  If you want a cat from a rescue it costs you £150.  In the old days you made a donation of a fiver and 4 cat food tins. 

17 hours ago, MikeR said:

our last visit to the vets , after finding the dog flopping around the floor having pissed itself etc

consisted of some email conformation of the address containing a google map that may as well been a chocolate kettle ..

but as I knew of the place , and it being near my work place I could just hit the road , and at 8 30 am on a Sunday  , with a dying dog in the back of the car I did that .

the engine growled all the way with some interesting speeds hit for the first time in its life ,  we arrived at the vets , with a dog that had glazed over .cue screams and tears ...

it was rushed inside , and some 3 hours later , did not make it , despite having a slight recovery

sorry about the dog , it was a nice one , by the way thats 800 notes ... chi ching !

having another dog ... errrr

When our husky Blue got his 1st bout of PolyradiculoneurItis he maxed out out dog insurance at £4.5k within a month....

48 minutes ago, Agila said:

@MikeR unless you say something official things won't improve for you and others. It may sound harsh but covid can only really explain waiting times and delays and cancellations etc, it can't explain things going missing. 

There's a black hole.  I don't know why scientists are bothering to look into far off galaxies for them. There's one in Chapel Lane Surgery L37.  

It's okay, because they understand dementia.  Because they employ Dr Callow, who can't remember much from the last medical text book he read in 1961. Some days I'm not sure he remembers he's a doctor. He actually rang my wife to ask her, what he should put on her father's death certificate. 

Wife gets out a recent addition of the BNF during appointments to check if it's changed from issue 1 that Dr Shallow swear by. 

Edited by New POD
That last bits a lie. She waits until she's home.

51 minutes ago, New POD said:

I blame the dog rescue places who insist on neutering them, before they sell them on.  No decent mongrels with unwanted litters. 

Same with cats. If you wanted a cat 30 years ago, someone you knew had a stray give birth to 7 kittens in thier shed.  Those kittens would end up having another 21 kittens each. But now? The 7 kittens end up being taken to a rescue, who neuter them which means they limit supply.  If you want a cat from a rescue it costs you £150.  In the old days you made a donation of a fiver and 4 cat food tins. 

Mongrels are best. Most breeds of pedigree dog have weaknesses peculiar to that breed. So the second half of their lives can be a constant round of ill health and treatment. Which can't be great for the dog.

13 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Mongrels are best. Most breeds of pedigree dog have weaknesses peculiar to that breed. So the second half of their lives can be a constant round of ill health and treatment. Which can't be great for the dog.

Yes. We owned a cavalier. Died of heart failure after 12 months of expensive tablets. Pointless. Shpuld just have put him down, saved the money to buy another. 

My cat only cost something like £65 to be put to sleep 2 years ago.

I should get another cat but currently both the kitchen and living room are in a state of being half-finished and I don't want to introduce a cat to that mess, it would be unfair on the cat.

1 hour ago, Agila said:

@MikeR unless you say something official things won't improve for you and others. It may sound harsh but covid can only really explain waiting times and delays and cancellations etc, it can't explain things going missing. 

The blood thing boils the piss , I had to argue with the dragon on the phone to recheck the records for the consultants request which was found after some time , then I had to go through the covid blood letting procedure , chase up the result , then chase up the scan which ran late , because they were waiting for the blood result , which never arrived despite a reminder to send it !!! , So I never got my scans ..  ironically the Dr in the surgery also never followed up further blood tests as discussed in a phone appointment . So I am about 3 tests short which could of been monitoring my lonely  kidney ....

Phoebe has cost a fortune at the vets, she carries on at between £150 and £400 per month. She's also cost £14000 in operations on various parts of her. She is an utter cripple (worse than me!) and she needs a hand to go out for a pee, tends to poo in her sleep wherever she's laying and occassionally smushes it into the carpet while having a sleep wriggle.

For all that, I still adore her!

She is still the first one out of the door to go for afternoon walkies at the park though when she gets there, she just lays in the hedge, chews everything in sight and makes me throw the ball straight at her wherupon she makes an effort to catch it, frequently failing and then I have to go and fetch the sodding thing! Once home, she requires a pretty BIG helping hand to get out of the car, even more to get down the path and into the flat and I then I have to feed her from a fork so she actually gets her dinner before Chester can dive in and pinch hers.

I think the expression is ' High maintenance'. I do get really pissed off with it sometimes and have been known to shout at her at 4:00 am when she's woken me again as she needs a wee or she's poo'd or she needs a drink or she has slid off her pillow and wants a hand to get back on it. Obviously then I feel massively guilty for being a grumpy old twat and don't tell her off when she's just turned my laptop off for the third time that day by while trying to sleep with her head on my forearm her paws rest casually on the power button.

People think i'm mad (even other dog lovers) but while I accept I probably am, there's no way she's getting out of this until her last breath has rattled out. In all honesty, I couldn't put her down (even though one vet wanted to years ago) as she is still happy and healthy(ish) apart from her legs etc. Most people upon seeing her playing in a hedge/bush/nettle bush think she's about 2 years old, not 13. When she's no longer happy, that's the point I'll face then.

Fucking animals they teach you about love and then teach you about pain.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Mally said:

So thought I. Sod staying in for a month, on me tod, I'll go to Spain for a month instead.

Got to fly Tues or Weds to dodge Boris.

Planes are all full up, I'm not the only one that thought it.

I was due to go to Brussels on Saturday. But due to lockdown I've had to postpone it for a month.

Arse. Was looking forward to that too. Mind you, it only cost me £5 to change the ticket.

4 minutes ago, Agila said:

Couldn't agree more @xtriple. That post could only have been written by someone who truly loves their dog.

I'm day 2 of a 28 sheild and my lab is at my Mother's so the dog can get out properly. Missing the big oaf like mad. 

I know a lady who walks her sons dog everyday for him as he is a bit unwell (a LOT unwell really) and when I asked why she didn;t just keep the dog with her, the answer was the same as you just said, her son adores the daft soppy old lass (the dog, not the Mum!) and would probably give up on life without her. The dog is Chester's not so secret crush - he has been round the field with the lady several times leaving Phoebe and I at the gate because he has 'hopes' of the dog suddenly discovering Chesters fatal charms.

She'll be looking for a long while, I've had him 9 years and not so far seen any sign of such charms!