The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Also, I bought some special Loctite superglue for sticking glass to re-attach the quarterlight catches on the Volvo.  It's fucking useless.  The catch pulled off in my hand as soon as I tried to twist it into the closed position.  WTF did they use to stick the things on at the factory?  I've not been able to find anything that'll hold the bloody thing together for more than about 30 seconds.

I feel your pain there!  I haven't found anything that'll stick the rear-view mirror to the windscreen on the Cadillac.... in three years of looking!

In other news, Volvo have a lovely new ad running  on the telly, highlighting some sort of radar on their SUVs that tells you if there's traffic coming across your path as you reverse out of your drive.  The strapline is "We're as concerned about your safety as you are" which is a very Volvo thing to say.  Except... if you're even slightly concerned about your safety at all, using as many as one brain cell, you'd be doing what your instructor taught you and reversing INTO your fucking drive!  If you're reversing out you are clearly not concerned with your own or anyone else's safety!  Well done  Volvo, bullet/foot interface there.  Go on, try it in front of Huggy, see what happens.

9 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

I feel your pain there!  I haven't found anything that'll stick the rear-view mirror to the windscreen on the Cadillac.... in three years of looking!

In other news, Volvo have a lovely new ad running  on the telly, highlighting some sort of radar on their SUVs that tells you if there's traffic coming across your path as you reverse out of your drive.  The strapline is "We're as concerned about your safety as you are" which is a very Volvo thing to say.  Except... if you're even slightly concerned about your safety at all, using as many as one brain cell, you'd be doing what your instructor taught you and reversing INTO your fucking drive!  If you're reversing out you are clearly not concerned with your own or anyone else's safety!  Well done  Volvo, bullet/foot interface there.  Go on, try it in front of Huggy, see what happens.

Tried the sealant used to bond in windscreens?

I reckon if you T-Bone that modern in your Caddy, you’re getting a lap dance from the engine, mate.

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Also, I bought some special Loctite superglue for sticking glass to re-attach the quarterlight catches on the Volvo.  It's fucking useless.  The catch pulled off in my hand as soon as I tried to twist it into the closed position.  WTF did they use to stick the things on at the factory?  I've not been able to find anything that'll hold the bloody thing together for more than about 30 seconds.

I used Gorilla Glue to clag the oven door glass back on and it seems to be holding.

I used the stuff in the 'sealant' type tube a while back, didn't work at all but the usual stuff in the small bottles has done the trick .

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Oh, and my face mask fell out of my pocket somewhere along the way.  I have a spare at home thanks to Slowsilver but it meant I wasn't able to stop off at Tesco so I have nothing for my lunch tomorrow.

If you ask in most tesco shops they will give you a complimentary disposable mask.

Council came round here yesterday (of course right as we were trying to leave) to repair the cracked slabs on the footway.

Less than 24 hours later, all but one of the replacement slabs are cracked in exactly the same place as the old ones.

Yep...that's about the level of quality of repair work I have come to expect of MK Council's contractors.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

These vans (there are three of them) have been here well over an hour now...Neither neighbour has any idea who they belong to or where the drivers are.

IMG_20201015_180016.thumb.jpg.12da19a27a83b0ff04139377c41ca769.jpg

They have far too much air in their tyres.

I'm sure they would appreciate if you fixed that for them.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

They have far too much air in their tyres.

I'm sure they would appreciate if you fixed that for them.

Be a shame if all the oil fell out of the sump plug into a drain pan......... usually they get about a mile 

On 10/13/2020 at 11:57 PM, wuvvum said:

I have some 2 part epoxy we use at work, used to fix sensors to steel, subsea. It’s very expensive and tricky to apply, but it will fix anything to anything forever. If you’re passing Leicestershire, I’ll stick whatever for any shiters.

11 hours ago, Jazoli said:

There might be a good reason they are there and to be honest the last two posts advocating damaging someone's vehicle isn't what I'd expect to see on here but I guess there are twats everywhere.

There may indeed but parking across someone's drive is a twat move at the best of times.  The least they could have done was ask permission if they couldn't find another parking place.

5 hours ago, motorpunk said:

I have some 2 part epoxy we use at work, used to fix sensors to steel, subsea. It’s very expensive and tricky to apply, but it will fix anything to anything forever. If you’re passing Leicestershire, I’ll stick whatever for any shiters.

That's just crying out for you to bring it to the fod next year/shitefest... 

Epoxy 2 cars together last with its bumper/subframe still attached wins. Bonus points for repairing the losing car for the drive home 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:45 AM, Fumbler said:

TL:DR- Failed, 4 majors, 7 minors, unsympathetic and unpleasant examiner, rush hour, nerves and a little bit of bad luck. Now I have to go back to college and pretend that nothing ever happened

Could be worse. In my dad's driving test, he did an emergency stop and the examiners glasses came off and smashed. Ultimately failed the test.

Second test a few weeks later, the examiner appears ... same one but with tape around the frame. He failed that test too. 😂

On 10/13/2020 at 6:42 PM, eddyramrod said:

Funny, they're running that advert here too.

Bloody insurance company giving me an affordable quote... then two days later doubling it for absolutely no reason, thus contributing to me missing out on a car because I was trying to root around and find another decent quote. 

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Android apps wanting to update every week. It is so annoying. They never inform you what has actually changed either.

Yup. How much time are we all made to waste by updating stuff? FFS get it right in the first place! I used a Win 7 pro desktop for 10 years without any updates, it worked fine.

I know, we should all go back to having software set when you buy a device so it can't change and slow you down.  Noone ever got infected on Windows 7, and no Android devices are running spambots.  See also, the China virus is a conspiracy to control us all.

(What's wrong with just updating overnight when it's on charge?)