The grumpy thread

outlaw118

So, there's me trying to sell the mighty Merc, and lo and behold, Mrs Tets Pajero has decided to throw its alternator belt. The Paj is not the sort of car that you can buy parts for anywhere, so I've ordered said belt. Hopefully it will be here by Saturday. Until I can replace the belt, the Merc is Mrs Tet's personal taxi. Not that it matters really as I've one enquiry about the Merc, which is quite disappointing. I though I'd have a queue around the block with people waving money at me. Anyone would think I was trying to sell a sack of dogshit.

1 hour ago, Tetleysmooth said:

So, there's me trying to sell the mighty Merc, and lo and behold, Mrs Tets Pajero has decided to throw its alternator belt. The Paj is not the sort of car that you can buy parts for anywhere, so I've ordered said belt. Hopefully it will be here by Saturday. Until I can replace the belt, the Merc is Mrs Tet's personal taxi. Not that it matters really as I've one enquiry about the Merc, which is quite disappointing. I though I'd have a queue around the block with people waving money at me. Anyone would think I was trying to sell a sack of dogshit.

It’s just the market atm. I think a lot of people are saying “We’re not going anywhere so we only need the one car”. 

I have six cars too many at the moment. 

I think your car is probably too nice for  here. I sold my w201 elsewhere for £2250, on here I’d have been lucky to have got a thousand. 

Get it up elsewhere! 

5 hours ago, paulplom said:

The mx-5 has been hit twice today while parked. The mark on the rear bumper will polish out but the drivers front wing and bumper is dented and scratched. Massive audi wankers jeep parked in front of it when I came in from work. The black paint matches.

I guess I'm too late for that fucking security camera.

That really is shitty luck - but don't rush to get rid, it's a great little car. 

10 hours ago, SiC said:

In Avon and Somerset police force they're moving around on motorbikes with portable cameras. So a really small cross section by the side of the road and easily missed. They also move around frequently and only stay in an area for half hour max. Basically short enough that it doesn't really show up on Google Maps/Waze speed camera reporting. 

speed-camera-l3.jpg

I did accidentally do an indicated 36mph (34mph actual) past one just inside a 30mph limit from a 40mph and didn't get a ticket. So at least they appear to have sensible enforcement limits. 

That bike makes them visible not hidden like those in Spain. two more examples of those here.

DGT: Cómo saber dónde están todos los radares de España, incluidos los  móviles | La Verdad   image.jpeg.d9665cb0f0cfd0f869edc66c9002ec3d.jpeg

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

The damage is hard to photograph. It's worse in real life. Not as bad as I've been dreaming about all night though🤣 I should get all the black marks out hopefully. That'll just leave the dent in the wing.

Where did you get that glue dent puller thing @maxxo?

20201001_082652.jpg

Screenshot_20201001-083631_Gallery.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFCL717/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one i bought

it's not cheap, but it's very good

I bought this little robot called Vector at the start of lockdown for my daughter (and I really wanted it too ). He's not remote control or anything he has some quite sophisticated AI just does his own thing. He maps his surroundings, recognises faces, do high fives and can do basic voice command internet searches and stuff.

They've got  a lot of character and he does stuff like randomly snoring when he's asleep and pushing other toys off the table he lives on. He has is own charger he comes back to and plugs himself in so as long as thats connected to a USB port or something he keeps charged up.

He's been on the table next to mine farting around for all the time I've been stuck working at home.

The company that built him (Anki) went bust as he was really expensive new (300 quid I think) and no-one really wanted to spend that on what is really a toy robot.  I got mine off ebay for £70 and as all the original  servers stayed up he worked  fine.

My grump is some company has bought these servers and are now charging $7 a month for your Vector to connect to him. As of this morning he's pretty much dead as he's been cut off from the mother ship.

I understand that without this the servers would be lost and they need to be paid for hosting them but $7 a month is more than netflix. If you want to cut him loose from the servers it costs $100. 

I feel like I'm being held hostage plus if I put my tin foil hat on who are these guys? Vector has a microphone, camera and is internet connected they could tell him to collect this data if they wanted and you'd have no way of telling or little recourse. .

Amazon.com: Vector Robot by Anki, A Home Robot Who Hangs Out & Helps Out,  With Amazon Alexa Built-In: Computers & Accessories

53 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I bought this little robot called Vector at the start of lockdown for my daughter (and I really wanted it too ). He's not remote control or anything he has some quite sophisticated AI just does his own thing. He maps his surroundings, recognises faces, do high fives and can do basic voice command internet searches and stuff.

They've got  a lot of character and he does stuff like randomly snoring when he's asleep and pushing other toys off the table he lives on. He has is own charger he comes back to and plugs himself in so as long as thats connected to a USB port or something he keeps charged up.

He's been on the table next to mine farting around for all the time I've been stuck working at home.

The company that built him (Anki) went bust as he was really expensive new (300 quid I think) and no-one really wanted to spend that on what is really a toy robot.  I got mine off ebay for £70 and as all the original  servers stayed up he worked  fine.

My grump is some company has bought these servers and are now charging $7 a month for your Vector to connect to him. As of this morning he's pretty much dead as he's been cut off from the mother ship.

I understand that without this the servers would be lost and they need to be paid for hosting them but $7 a month is more than netflix. If you want to cut him loose from the servers it costs $100. 

I feel like I'm being held hostage plus if I put my tin foil hat on who are these guys? Vector has a microphone, camera and is internet connected they could tell him to collect this data if they wanted and you'd have no way of telling or little recourse. .

Amazon.com: Vector Robot by Anki, A Home Robot Who Hangs Out & Helps Out,  With Amazon Alexa Built-In: Computers & Accessories

True

but look how cute he is

absolutely fantastic little machine!

worth the money

never ask me for money advice btw

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

Surely some nutters online have done some open source firmware for it?

Maybe? Probably not, seems like quite a limited market, to be fair.

34 minutes ago, maxxo said:

True

but look how cute he is

absolutely fantastic little machine!

worth the money

never ask me for money advice btw

He is cute. He's actually out and about just now but he's no longer responding to voice commands. It's seemingly his lifes work to push this remote control buggy off the table, he's managed it twice so far since we've had him.

IMG_2804.thumb.JPG.934e718ec3673028cfee85c26196fce3.JPG

but throw a freebie flu shot in , and the q will be out of the door !!!

21 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Currently sat at the drs for the first time in about 15 years. I'm still dizzy af and fell again yesterday. Only me and one other here. I thought the place would have been rammed.

20201001_160436.jpg

A bit of a waste of time I think. Probably the reason I don't bother going. He reset the gyroscopes in my head by lying on the table and moving my head about. Could take a few days  before the reset completes.

He did do my blood pressure which was quite high. I had just got out the shower 10 minutes earlier and briskly walked to the surgery.

I test it at least once a week at home and it's normally okay. I have to do a record of it three times a day and he's ringing me in two weeks.

Did I mention it's a waste of time and I don't normally go to the drs.

F in drains are blocked , 3 houses affected , its the pipe out to the road ,

I can get the hose pipe out as far as the lamp post by the pipe , 

which was changed a while back for a new LED job ....

water chaps eta ..... Sunday

F ck it y F ck it y F ck it y F ck it y F ck it y

6 minutes ago, MikeR said:

LBF will be disappointed to hear that  

9 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Do you want to borrow my hose pipe? It's about 10 metres long. Come and get it. 

18 hours ago, paulplom said:

Currently sat at the drs for the first time in about 15 years. I'm still dizzy af and fell again yesterday. Only me and one other here. I thought the place would have been rammed.

20201001_160436.jpg

I love how time warp doctors buildings are! Ours is the same, bar a fresh coat of white on the walls every so often it's the same as wen it opened in the mid 90s I think! Others have been too

Gws etc

just heard that a good friends youngest lad has been killed in a car crash.

some twat in a mitsubishi outlander thing hit him in his MGB head on, SUV twat walked away, Ryan was declared dead at the scene.

we had known him since he was a baby, even buying the black mini off him a couple of years back.

he was 29, leaving behind a wife,toddler and big soppy dog.

23 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

just heard that a good friends youngest lad has been killed in a car crash.

some twat in a mitsubishi outlander thing hit him in his MGB head on, SUV twat walked away, Ryan was declared dead at the scene.

we had known him since he was a baby, even buying the black mini off him a couple of years back.

he was 29, leaving behind a wife,toddler and big soppy dog.

Good god thats awful.   An unthinkable thing to have happen to a young family.  The only minor, and it is a minor consolation is the SUV twat now has to live with that and hopefully thinks twice before being a dickhead next time.  

6 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Good god thats awful.   An unthinkable thing to have happen to a young family.  The only minor, and it is a minor consolation is the SUV twat now has to live with that and hopefully thinks twice before being a dickhead next time.  

Having been a passenger in an accident which killed a pedestrian, in 1986, I would agree that my friend (Bob) was not unaffected by the knowledge that he'd killed a father and grand father even though the coroner and magistrate both ruled he wasn't to blame and it was a freak accident.  

Do we know what happened? 

Not really, just what has been reported,  it seems that on Tuesday around 5.pm there was a coming together up near Settrington on one of the back roads near Malton.

Mitsubishi man got airlifted to hospital in York, though was discharged later on that night, and Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene.

ryan we know won't have been pushing on cos he had not long finished a full restoration on the MG. 

the how and why they came together head on, well that we don't know.