The grumpy thread

outlaw118

One downside to living in a mostly elderly neighbourhood is the sheer volume of badly trained yappy dogs.  Every time one of the locals goes out it's to a chorus of yapping dogs.  Every parcel delivered, every cold caller knocking, every pedestrian walking past a window; yappy dog chorus.  I don't begrudge anyone having one of these tiny dogs, especially if it's bought for companionship.  It's the lack of training, the belief that because the dog is only small it can't do any harm so you don't need to do all the things you do with a bigger dog.  Almost always, the really vocal little dogs are quite violent and prone to biting (or 'nipping' as their owners so quaintly put it).  The quantity of yappy dogs around here is making us second guess getting a full size dog, we've neither of us had good experiences with yappy dog owners when it comes to being the owner of a full size dog, being accused of owning a violent breed, etc.

Worth noting that 'yappy dog' is distinct from 'small dog'.  There's plenty of well behaved small dogs and responsible small dog owners and we have no problem with those at all, even if some of the small dog breeds do look like they've been chasing parked cars.

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

One downside to living in a mostly elderly neighbourhood is the sheer volume of badly trained yappy dogs.  Every time one of the locals goes out it's to a chorus of yapping dogs.  Every parcel delivered, every cold caller knocking, every pedestrian walking past a window; yappy dog chorus.  I don't begrudge anyone having one of these tiny dogs, especially if it's bought for companionship.  It's the lack of training, the belief that because the dog is only small it can't do any harm so you don't need to do all the things you do with a bigger dog.  Almost always, the really vocal little dogs are quite violent and prone to biting (or 'nipping' as their owners so quaintly put it).  The quantity of yappy dogs around here is making us second guess getting a full size dog, we've neither of us had good experiences with yappy dog owners when it comes to being the owner of a full size dog, being accused of owning a violent breed, etc.

Worth noting that 'yappy dog' is distinct from 'small dog'.  There's plenty of well behaved small dogs and responsible small dog owners and we have no problem with those at all, even if some of the small dog breeds do look like they've been chasing parked cars.

My mother has two small dogs. One is okay the other just yaps and barks constantly. I fucking hate the thing and wouldn't get sick of kicking the fucker. That dog is the main reason I don't visit my mother.

I've offered to have it for a week and 'train it' but she won't entertain it.

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

This.  Absolutely.

We have a big dog that tends to bark at the door but we are doing our utmost to train her not to and fortunately it's only a brief interlude.  In the garden, etc. she's fine.  Enthusiastic - but fine.  Next door have two yappy dogs that are outwardly aggressive to our dog through the fence and the lack of 'physical threat' perpetuates the complete lack of training.

Get yourself what ever you want but train it properly.  Our's isn't perfect but we are working on it all the time and we are aware.  Unlike next door.  Who instead of training the two yappy dogs decided to also get a German Shepherd to not train as well...

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

My mother has two small dogs. One is okay the other just yaps and barks constantly. I fucking hate the thing and wouldn't get sick of kicking the fucker. That dog is the main reason I don't visit my mother.

I've offered to have it for a week and 'train it' but she won't entertain it.

Yeah, fancy not letting someone 'train' a dog by kicking it. It's almost like the owner might actually be an animal lover, or something.

Roommates thundering in while on the piss, trashing the kitchen and my crockery, during the curfew in effect, while I'm trying to sleep, and now I'm dreading what I have to eat breakfast in tomorrow morning. All the while that's happening we have increasing COVID cases just north and south of us which are closing in. "Stressed" is an understatement.

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

People have savings of more than 1500 quid? 

Apparently the typical amount in savings here in the UK is just a shade over £3,000.  I don't know what I expected it to be - but it sounds about right.

Obviously, mine is all invested* in classic** cars rather than wasting away in a 0% savings account.

See the point on not having savings, I suppose my point was it's hardly worth it.

1.1% on 1500 quid is 16.50

HSBC pay 2.5% on up to 3000.  That's 60 quid.  Or just over a pound a week.  

You don't have to be a millionaire to think that all this fuss about saving rates is not that big a deal - none of them are paying anything worthwhile. 

UK inflation in 2019 was 1.74%.  You're probably losing money having it just sat in the bank so might as well spend it.  Which is exactly the goal of the government's fiscal policy of course.

17 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

See the point on not having savings, I suppose my point was it's hardly worth it.

1.1% on 1500 quid is 16.50

HSBC pay 2.5% on up to 3000.  That's 60 quid.  Or just over a pound a week.  

You don't have to be a millionaire to think that all this fuss about saving rates is not that big a deal - none of them are paying anything worthwhile. 

UK inflation in 2019 was 1.74%.  You're probably losing money having it just sat in the bank so might as well spend it.  Which is exactly the goal of the government's fiscal policy of course.

Yep, I'm fairly sure this is the cycle that Japan has been stuck in since the early 90s? How do you extract yourself from it though? once it sets in that consumer goods are unlikely to be any more expensive tomorrow than they are today, and over a longer period most likely to be cheaper, how do you make people spend?

Yeah, you are actually losing money in a savings account paying 1.1% when inflation is 1.74%, but you're losing less than if you went out and bought a new Mondeo with the theoretical £30k you had in savings. There are some things which over the last 30 years have been a better investment - Houses for example - but I'd suggest that they are relatively illiquid (is that a word) because for most people you own it but also live in it, and the rising tide has lifted all boats so on paper you're rich, but you can't meaningfully cash in on that without either dying or downsizing?

22 hours ago, rainagain said:

Can’t you get one of those automatic ultrasonic dog bark stop machines? When they hear a bark they make a sound dogs don’t like so over time they learn not to bark? 

I didn't know they were a thing!  I might get one and stick it next to the garden fence to shut my neighbours' dogs up - they've got two standard poodles and one similar to a Staffy or something along those lines, which whenever left alone doesn't bark but makes a really weird yowling noise as if someone's standing on its bollocks.

Had my motorcycle insurance renewal through.

I paid it in one last year. I have been advised that if I want to pay monthly in effect I will be taking a loan out that is subject to a credit check and leave a footprint on my file.

Has it always been like this? I cannot recall being told this before.

5 minutes ago, Bren said:

Has it always been like this? I cannot recall being told this before.

Yes.

It's a loan - like any other.  Unsecured like.

By using a comparison site, you leave a soft footprint before you even buy something.

Try not to worry about it.  I'm sure it's a bit like having a credit card - you see it is a negative but lenders see it as normal (sometimes a positive)

Not sure whether to put this in the grumpy or grin thread. 

Wife's Astra insurance is due to expire on Sunday night. 

I couldn't understand why her 7000 miles a year in a 1.6 Auto was a similar price to my 20000 miles in an engine twice the size.  Quote me (aviva) unhappy were asking £342, which after I updated it with some changes went to £348.  My grump is that they must know they are taking the piss.  £300 Excess. 

Tried all the comparison sites And it was coming in at £246 with un'sure 

So tried direct line, who I have a house and my car insured with. £189 with £350 excess. I reduced the excess to £0 added protection to the no claims and then paid a stonking £204. Hence the grin. 

Then another grin. Quote me Unhappy asked me if I'd do a survey as to why I was moving. And the price.  I told them £173.97

More than half the price.  That will have them guessing cheeky cunts asking for competitor information. 

So if you ever get a decent price off quote me miserable, thank me. 

Fuck sake.

My Bosch washing machine has given me more grief. Couple weeks ago pressure sensor thing went bad which wouldn't unlock the door. £20 new and I replaced it, worked fine. Now today error 34 and the interlock has failed so can't lock. Stupid bastard. It's only around £20 again but I thought Bosch were meant to be better than this .

1 hour ago, sims00 said:

Fuck sake.

My Bosch washing machine has given me more grief. Couple weeks ago pressure sensor thing went bad which wouldn't unlock the door. £20 new and I replaced it, worked fine. Now today error 34 and the interlock has failed so can't lock. Stupid bastard. It's only around £20 again but I thought Bosch were meant to be better than this .

Washing machines are designed to fail that way I believe. I'm sure it uses good quality components but a choice few* definitely aren't. Our 2009 Siemans is on the cusp between quality and planned obselescence.

It's a shame really. We had a late 80s Bosch that failed spectacularly in 2009. Amazing workhorse before the controller failed.