The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, New POD said:

So how far before the gantry could the 50 sign be seen? 

Not very as there was some old concrete gantry or bridge or something not long before it, also those signs are blurry until you're pretty close to them. I remember being completely blindsided by the 50, as was everyone around me. 

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

That's what you're supposed to do, what the signs say.

That's what they told me on the "offenders course".   They make the signs big enough, that you have a warning some distance before you reach them.  The only excuse is if the gantry sign changed as you were passing under it.  

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

50 and camera were on the same gantry, zero distance between them. Up to then it was clear 70mph running in average traffic.
So you had from when you read the gantry to being under it, to react and slow down from 70 to 50, which wasn't possible safely.

To put it into context, I accelerated in a 50 zone, towards a NSL sign on a dual carriage way.  This was some distance beyond the reason for the 50 zone.  I passed the NSL sign at 64 mph. Got 3 point because a van was hiding in the behind bushes. 

My father in law was done (years ago) for going from 60 to 30 after passing through a 30 sign, but 1/4 a mile before the village the lower speed limit was there for.  IIRC he was done for 40 mph so was slowing down, and he complained that if he braked harder the car behind would have gone straight into the back of him. 

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Not very as there was some old concrete gantry or bridge or something not long before it, also those signs are blurry until you're pretty close to them. I remember being completely blindsided by the 50, as was everyone around me. 

I know I struggle on the M6 to decide whether it says 60 or 50 but none of them are hidden.  My usual problem is not concentrating on them and concentrating on which lane I'm in and which trucks are trying to kill me. 

Finally had enough of the P38 Range Rover. Couple of weeks ago it burst a coolant pipe and over heated. Fixed that. The thermostat decicided to follow suit. It fought me every step of the way to fix that. Treated it to a wash yesterday and I trod on the hose got soaked, then yanked the hose in temper which meant it got suck under a tyre and the sprayer took the skin off of my finger. Much swearing and the dreaded C word used. Took it for a spin chucked some go go juice in it and it has now dumped the aft all the way around Yeovil. The ungrateful bxstard is going on bum free later. Wonder how many lowest offers and Xbox tonight messages I'll get.

See for sale section. 

On 9/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, angle said:

Wankers. 

IMG_20200905_172306.jpg

When will I learn that every time I think 'I've got half an hour, let's fix something simple on the car' it's inevitable that it will be A MASSIVE TWAT? One screw, cunningly positioned with clearance from the radiator that is slightly less than the length of my screwdriver, accessed through a hole slightly smaller than my hand. 

IMG_20200917_090247.jpg

Apparently correct heater valves for my FSO are unobtainium, which is annoying as mine is both sticky and leaky. They're a very common failure point so even if I managed to find one it probably wouldn't last too long anyway.

I guess I'll have to look into adapting a different valve. Most common choice seems to be the plastic valve from one of these:

lublin.thumb.png.a278e10350b11681839615609a3a779e.png

But from what I'd heard it's less than ideal because it has a longer travel than the original FSO valve, therefore will either not open or shut fully using standard controls.

My Polonez ownership experience is definitely looking pretty typical, I'm hitting all the common failure points: heater valve, stepper motor, intake air thermostat, remote headlight height adjustment. Other than the stepper motor (which is a cheap and common GM unit) they're all a pain to fix properly.

Silly Tempra.... 

So, after getting the replacement steering rack fitted, tracking done, ordered a few bits that will be needed for upcoming mot pass (yeah right) and then spending hours on hold to get the insurance transferred over...   

What a lovely idea to take said Tempra to work for the first time tomorrow.....

Go to get him out of the garage ready for my 4.30am start in the morning...   

Flat Battery!!!

Ho Hum.

Battery now on charge.

Maybe next week.

Poo, been looking forward to this for days.....

30 minutes ago, BertiePuntoCabrio said:

Silly Tempra.... 

So, after getting the replacement steering rack fitted, tracking done, ordered a few bits that will be needed for upcoming mot pass (yeah right) and then spending hours on hold to get the insurance transferred over...   

What a lovely idea to take said Tempra to work for the first time tomorrow.....

Go to get him out of the garage ready for my 4.30am start in the morning...   

Flat Battery!!!

Ho Hum.

Battery now on charge.

Maybe next week.

Poo, been looking forward to this for days.....

Cars can be such ungrateful bar stewards. Any photos of your Tempra?

The Mrs. has gone batshit crazy because the free wifi in her flat isn't working properly, and therefore her alexa speaker won't work. Won't listen to me or do any diagnostic checks or walk 6 foot to reboot alexa. Instead has come up with the brilliant* scheme that she's not going to pay her rent, and will claim she's not paid because the free wifi is shit and she can't pay it.

Great plan love. I'm sure they don't accept cheques or direct debit or however the hell you've been paying for the last 20 years. But if you'd like to make yourself homeless in protest about something that's free instead of phoning the internet helpline to report a fault go right ahead.

Been looking at cars of late (who, to be honest, hasn't?) and I am dismayed and angered by the prices being asked which seem to have gone up rather over the last few months when I would have expected them to go down what with folks being skint and the world at large being in a 'bit of a pickle'. Also, the MOT check thing is an eye-opening experience, the amount of cars that look mint and yet had years of welding done to them in the effort to keep them on the road. It seems my attempt to find a nice Jaguar XKR (convertible for preference) is doomed to failure :( 

webuyanycar.

yes, im quite aware they are shitehawks, but not quite as ruthless as i imagined.

Wife had an 18 plate mini cooper, nice thing from brand new, had covered 18,000 miles, its been parked up for almost a year due to it going over its PCP mileage, i since bought her a TT to use whilst she wasnt using it for work anymore. 

couldnt hand it back til next July so thought i'd see what WBAC offer. £10775, being the finance outstanding is £11,400 i said sod it , ill pay the 700 difference (minus their £75 'admin' fee) And get shut.

Go to the branch, bearing in mind i've minted it to death, touched up the tiniest of stone chips, they come out with the clipboard 'yes sir, this bonnet is stone chipped, it requires a full respray... well, no it doesnt but ok.  Passenger wheel is kerbed (around 1 inch long) requires full refurb, rear wheel also the same same amount of kerbage - requires full refurb. Smallest scratch on inside of bumper from removing sometihng from the boot (which cant be seen when boot is closed) Rear bumper requires full respray... that means we can now offer you £9300. 

I politley tell  the guy to fuck off, and grab the logbook and walk out. 'oh, let me see what we can do, what were you hoping for?' erm, 10775 mate, its not even wear and tear, if i'd have taken it back to enterprise , they wouldn't have even marked anything down on the sheet, i was looking for at least £10,500. He comes back with £10,100, which is still £1300 to pay but rather than sitting around another 10 months like a mug, i paid the man and walked off muttering obscenities under my breath. at least its gone 

The Covid MOT extension has been a mixed blessing. A lot of cars you see for sale now have them and given the current attitude of the average motorist towards actually servicing and pro-actively looking after their cars, I suspect a lot of 10 year old cars will be heading towards the scrapyard or banger track in the next month or two.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The Tempra does flatten its battery if left for a few weeks - I reckon it's the aftermarket immobiliser which is the issue.

Yes I had completely forgotten about that @wuvvum However it has not done it with me before. I will remember to pull the battery lead in future.

Ok, it must be silly me not silly car in this instance :-)

Need to apply for a different visa for NZ because Covid, etc.  Need to send certified copy of passport for said visa.

At the moment I have a certified copy of my passport but no fucking passport.  Somewhere on the quarter mile walk from solicitor to Car I have dropped it.  So that’s a few lost weeks awaiting a replacement as if time wasn’t a little tight anyway.

I have never, ever lost an important document in my life ever.  I have been all over the world and haven’t misplaced it.  One trip to Romford and it’s vanished.

21 minutes ago, Parky said:

Don’t I just know it, I am from there....I have stopped it as I really don’t want to be implicated in some massive drug caper

If you've lost your passport, it may well end up being used in the facilitation of illegal immigration. Thing is, which desperate migrant out there looks a bit like you, and when was the last time a Border Farce officer had time to check the face in front with the face on the page?

I am rather hoping that the border force man will scan it and discover it has been blocked.  I have reported it as lost and received an acknowledgement so hopefully that will help.

Either that or they might wonder why someone apparently born in Thurrock isn’t speaking with an estuary accent.  Quite right in what you say though, I don’t think any officers really check that closely so it might be in the hands of a kind lady intending to hand it into Romford Police, or it could be with dodgy Steve....

I was checked once in Schipol Airport.  The guy scrutinised the passport, looked at me, pursed his face and looked at the passport again.  Then back to me with a concerned look.  Just as I am starting to wonder what it’s like to have a Dutchman’s gloved arm up my arse, he hands me the passport, smiles, and says “Happy Birthday, enjoy Amsterdam!”  Where you can have a gloved hands up your arse any time you want.  Unfortunately I was there to meet three fund managers to discuss Emerging Market investment funds rather than experience anything unusual...

Actually yes I did.  A lady in the red light district was convinced I was a bad cop from The Bill.  She said she liked me as I was a naughty boy and she liked that.  I was apparently an excellent actor and she hoped to see me in more things.  

She then offered  me oral for fifty euros.  I told her I would only charge her forty.  At this point a major row broke out to my right as a Japanese man attempted to take photos of some of the women in the windows so I thought it was best to head back to my hotel.  

so yeah, I suppose that was a little unusual

17 hours ago, Parky said:

.... “Happy Birthday, enjoy Amsterdam!”  Where you can have a gloved hands up your arse any time you want.  Unfortunately I was there to meet three fund managers to discuss Emerging Market investment funds rather than experience anything unusual...

Fund managers. That's a different type of hand up the arse.

I was supposed to be doing an oil and filter change on the Mondeo today.  Dropped the oil fine, went to extract the filter to find out that the housing has apparently been done up by a Kwik Fit monkey with an ugga dugga gun.  Breaker bar deployed and it eventually came undone.  Filter cartridge out, new cartridge out of the box and ready to go in.  Except that it's not the same cartridge.  It's the same diameter but much too short, the top is different and the opening at the bottom is much larger.  Googled the reference on the box and they've sent me a filter for a Mk5 Golf 1.6 FSI.  So not even close.  If it was a slightly different variety of Mondeo I might have understood, but that's just taking the piss.

So tomorrow I have to go traipsing round the motor factors of Norwich hoping somebody has the correct filter in stock, 'cos the car can't go anywhere without a proper oil filter.

Trying to watch Le Mans and I think Eurosport's definition of "Live and uninterrupted" coverage is somewhat off, because they're piling on commercials like nobody's business. To add insult to injury, they mostly keep advertising their online platform... which I'm already paying for to watch Le Mans on FFS.

1 hour ago, Borsuq said:

Trying to watch Le Mans and I think Eurosport's definition of "Live and uninterrupted" coverage is somewhat off, because they're piling on commercials like nobody's business. To add insult to injury, they mostly keep advertising their online platform... which I'm already paying for to watch Le Mans on FFS.

Yeah but its only 20 quid for the year, there's some good in car live streams on youtube, there's been some great WSB and BSB footage on there.